PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs and Wires

rainman5
01-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I am approaching 60K miles on my '02 ES and I am about to change my plugs and wires. I want to do it myself but I dont exactly know how to do it. Can someone give me guidance on the "how to" part and what type of plugs and wires should I buy?

pinoyesv6
01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
you should be fine with some oem ngk plugs and some ngk wires.

on your i4, you only have two spark plug wires. on end of each spark plug wire will be a spark plug. just remove the spark plug and replace. on the other end of the spark plug wire will be a coil pack. remove the coil pack and you will see another spark plug. again, just remove the spark plug and replace.

Da_silvagride
01-03-2006, 12:22 PM
I want to buy some high conducting wires for my 03 I4. I am around 34k. Would it be wrong of me to replace them early because I want a stronger spark? Because when 60k comes around changing the spark plugs I don't want to offset the time to change the wires to.

What are some high conducting wires for the 4G64. I am not exactly sure but I saw on Ptuneing Magnacore wires for the galant. Although, they may be for the 4g63 DOHC. Are there any other brands that make super conducting wires for this motor. I know that Mitsubishi offer super conducting wires for the Lancer Evo and Ralliart. Would this be a option even though they are different from the 4g64?

pinoyesv6
01-03-2006, 03:17 PM
the spark plug wires for the 1.8L mirage should fit the 8g i4's also.

but yea, you won't see and gains from "high performace" spark plug wires unless you have one of those "high performance" ignition systems to go alone with them. i guess the only gains you'll get is you could quite possibly have prettier spark plug wires but other than that, zip, zero, nothing.

ChikagoGTZ
01-03-2006, 03:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>the spark plug wires for the 1.8L mirage should fit the 8g i4's also.

but yea, you won't see and gains from "high performace" spark plug wires unless you have one of those "high performance" ignition systems to go alone with them. i guess the only gains you'll get is you could quite possibly have prettier spark plug wires but other than that, zip, zero, nothing.</div>

+1

ZigenScarface
01-03-2006, 11:41 PM
i gained 7 at dyno from my magnicore ign wires :twisted:

Da_silvagride
05-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Has anyone tried NGK Iridium IX plugs. I am close to buying these verses the V-power for my 36k tune-up. Do you guys think anything will go wrong with the Iridium plugs? I am also looking into Ignition modules I just need to know what some of you guys are running for the 4g64 8g motor.

Thanks.

seth98esT
05-17-2006, 12:22 PM
If your car is stock or isnt modded past I/H/E, you will not notice a difference in any performance spark plug. Stock will get the job done just fine.

mitsuree8thgen
05-17-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm about to get my headers installed to go along with my intake and exhaust, so should I be looking into upgrading my ignition as well?

Xrs2
05-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Anyone know the resistance per foot on the stock wires?

manybrews
05-17-2006, 03:59 PM
ive said this a million times, and Ill say it again.
use ONLY factory stuff. ESPECIALLY the plugs. Do not try any other plugs but for NGKs or Densos. Period.
and I STILL replace more "hi-po" plug wires for running problems that any other piece of aftermarket equipment. I dont care who makes them; magnacore, NGK, blah blah blah.. theyre all crap.

the factory ignition system is capable of double the needed spark output of a stock engine. Even if you used a turbo, it would more than likely be enough (mitsu has always used the same ignition system on its turbo cars as its non-turbo cars).
One other thing. i realize that the recommended interval on replacement of the plugs/cables is 60K (on the V6), but in reality the factory stuff usually lasts much longer. Ive seen all factory stuff run to 160k before.
if you have a 4 cylinder, you do need plugs much more often as they arent platinum, but thats it. My honest recommendation is wait till 100K for the v6 plugs/wires, and wait till 100K for the wires on the 4 cylinder (but do the plugs every 15K).

SLS2000
05-18-2006, 06:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>ive said this a million times, and Ill say it again.
use ONLY factory stuff. Â*ESPECIALLY the plugs. Â*Do not try any other plugs but for NGKs or Densos. Â*Period.
and I STILL replace more "hi-po" plug wires for running problems that any other piece of aftermarket equipment. Â*I dont care who makes them; magnacore, NGK, blah blah blah.. theyre all crap.

the factory ignition system is capable of double the needed spark output of a stock engine. Â*Even if you used a turbo, it would more than likely be enough (mitsu has always used the same ignition system on its turbo cars as its non-turbo cars).
One other thing. Â*i realize that the recommended interval on replacement of the plugs/cables is 60K (on the V6), but in reality the factory stuff usually lasts much longer. Â*Ive seen all factory stuff run to 160k before.
if you have a 4 cylinder, you do need plugs much more often as they arent platinum, but thats it. Â*My honest recommendation is wait till 100K for the v6 plugs/wires, and wait till 100K for the wires on the 4 cylinder (but do the plugs every 15K).</div>

Thank you for this post.

Are we done with this issue Ladies and Gentlemen?

:biggrin: