PDA

View Full Version : Smoky start

Xrs2
01-01-2006, 08:37 PM
First off I have an 02 Galant, CMF Headers, Injen CAI. Anyway A little bit after I got the headers on, my SES lights (Was expecting it) Anyway now my car smokes white smoke when it starts up. It didn't do it right after the headers were installed about 500 miles after the SES lite up. Oil is changed regularly, and I keep it pretty well maintained. 70k miles, and the car runs fine, and the smoke stops after awhile. I have the stock cat back on + muffler. I didn't install the headers so I don't know what exactly they did. Any ideas on what it is would be appreciated. My brother said it may be the rings if it is alot of smoke.

8G_GTZ
01-01-2006, 08:41 PM
I would just try a fine tune up. plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. you said you already covered the oil change so don't worry about that. I would also try cleaning the throttle body out as a lot of cars at this point do smoke and idle goofy from that. I recently cleaned mine out just weeks after I bought it and it is at 71K. lots of black carbon came out of it and it did run noticably quicker and idles smoother. In the worst-case scenario, it could possibly be the rings, just take it easy on driving it because on my Talon it did smoke out of no where and then did blow a head gasket.

Hopefully that is of some help to you.

Steve

pinoyesv6
01-01-2006, 08:47 PM
the srs (safety restraint system) light is different from the ses (service engine soon) light.

some white smoke is ok. i mean its getting cold this time of year so it could just be water vapor.

hows your coolant level and condition? buring coolant also produces white smoke.

8G_GTZ
01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
sorry, i'm tired. just rambling now. glad you caught that.

Steve

Xrs2
01-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the info

My coolant was a little low a couple of weeks ago, but it wasnt smoking then. Only started after I filled it up I guess. How would coolant be burning? Getting into the where, haha I have no idea. And it is pretty damn cold up here in PA. I think it may have to do with the cold weather. Doesn't seems to be smoking as bad as it was.

My coolant was low, so I filled her back up. She wasn't overheating or anything, or even getting close to overheating, I just noticed the coolant resevoir was way below refill me line.

How would one fix coolant being burned if thats the problem?

Xrs2
01-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Ok I just read something about the coolant burning, seems like the head gasket would be the culprit, however the smoke isnt white all the time, just while its warming up. If the coolant were mixing with the gas, wouldn't it be mixing with it all the time, making the smoke white all the time? Because the white smoke goes away after the car has warmed up a bit. I may be imaging the smoke is worse than it really is.

I mean I just chnaged the oil, and it had no antifreeze. I'm gonna flush my coolant system and see if it has any oil in it. Its due for a flush anyway.