PDA

View Full Version : ripp mods kit

cremeofthecrop
01-03-2006, 10:33 AM
i got someone from here offering his rippmods stage 2 sds kit with ahtermarket headers and all for 2300, is this a good price, is the kit noticeable more juicy when you step on it. or should i just wait till i have enough for the tearstone??

Serstylz2
01-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Tearstone all day. Galants have had problems with the Ripp kit, hasn't worked well with our cars.

VegasMatt
01-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Being an ex-SDS owner, I'd go with Tearstone!

cremeofthecrop
01-03-2006, 04:17 PM
what problems did the ripp mods have? and how much harder is it to use the tearstone turbo as in my novice understanding, with the sds kit you dont need fmic's right?

VegasMatt
01-03-2006, 05:47 PM
No intercooler with the SDS, I did run a boost cooler that Ripp offers running 11psi. There have been several posts about Tearstone and Ripp products on this board. The problem I had was with the HKS AFR holding its tune, it did not like the Galant ECU causing a chernobyl in my engine bay.

BlankMan
01-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Tearstone turbo, eh? Man I've been off the boards for a long time - have no idea what that is...

BUT - $2300 for a full SDS kit - if well maintained, including header(s), etc., is a heck of a deal. The Super-charger alone sells for nearly $2,000. I don't know what the person you're talking to has invested but for me, Stage 2, header, cat-back, water-meth, overboost pulley, electronics, yada yada and I'm easily over $5k for the lot - maybe over $6k. 'Course you didn't say he was including a catback, any electronics or anything...

J

Serstylz2
01-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Blankman, check it out

http://www.tearstone.com/shop/index.php?pa...hpshop&Itemid=2 ('http://www.tearstone.com/shop/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=26&category_id=18&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=2')

S-Line
01-03-2006, 07:38 PM
man the more and more i read on this tearstone kit im seriously thinking about going for it. Turbo would be a great look for the G.

Donovan
01-03-2006, 07:47 PM
http://www.tearstone.com/shop/index.php?pa...hpshop&Itemid=2 ('http://www.tearstone.com/shop/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=26&category_id=18&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=2')

good cheap deal

IceDouTGaLanT
01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
serstyles reamber when u showed me that kit??? haha now im 7 days from gettin it in the mail...dont go with SDS if you wanna know why not serch on club3g theirs many more stoires which WILL change ur mind..put it like this i was also gettin a deal by a guy in nj,stage2 sds with headers, meth cooler,all guages, EVERything and anything for 2750..After reserechin peoples problems from blown motors to being in the shop week by week,i didnt want any part of that..i seen tearstones turbo kits NOT 1 bad review from it..his shyt is PROVEN to be faster then the SDS cars, their was a race between the 2 i dunno thier names but the turbo guy blew his balls off..get the tearstone,it perfect for auto tranny holds up well for daily driver and COMES with EVERYthing you need for it to run..the price is awsome,now they include an emange so ur set...

cremeofthecrop
01-03-2006, 09:06 PM
ne1 with the sds stage 2 on this site had any problems??

Dominicano
01-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Wouldn't a standalone system like emanage make the ripp system perform like it should? Our cars fuzzy logic is what throws everyones enhancement out the window.

cremeofthecrop
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
i really want to go fi and i know a few guys got the stage 2 with minimal probs, just want more info

BlankMan
01-03-2006, 10:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cremeofthecrop)</div><div class='quotemain'>ne1 with the sds stage 2 on this site had any problems??</div>

The only problems I have had are...

...when going from Stage 1 to 2 the plugs kept fouling after every run... turned out to be a bad black box program the RIPP reprogrammed free of charge

...idler pulley froze up - Bearings froze, shredded a belt in the process. RIPP replaced quick enough. Though I did run SDS-free for a week while it shipped in...

Other than that, problem free. Stories are stories and if any one is telling you how 'bad' something is, they're opinions are biased already because of a bad experience. I wouldn't say the RIPP kit is perfect or even problem free - no aftermarket FI will be - but is close it's as close to FI-in-a-box as you'll get...

J

GAGalant01
01-03-2006, 11:33 PM
yeah, i am planning on going tearstone as well. i am waiting on someone to buy some stuff that i am selling (see sig) or when my tax return comes in! i can't wait to get my kit! but i think that their price for the fmic kit is a little high so i am going to get it on my own.

Phil
01-04-2006, 06:13 AM
i'm still waiting for the budget V6 kit considering the regular V6 kit is now 4799.00

Serstylz2
01-04-2006, 12:57 PM
What kind of gauges do you need, or does EManage take care of it all

GAGalant01
01-04-2006, 01:05 PM
if you want to run with your laptop all the time you "could" use the emanage, but the basics are air/fuel, pyrometer, boost, and if you want, trans temp.

did i miss anything?

DryBear
01-04-2006, 01:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'>What kind of gauges do you need, or does EManage take care of it all</div>

The emanage does not provide you with any kind of feedback, aside from a pair of LEDs for status and power. You wouldn't be able to just use a laptop, either, as the basic emanage setup doesn't read A/F ratios or boost.

I'd say boost and EGT, and *wideband* A/F for gauges, with oil pressure as a good option.

Check here:
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=42077 ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=42077')

Another option for the Ripp kit would be to add the Tearstone conversion kit (V6 only) - I believe it allows you to use the eManage vs the Ripp black box.

cremeofthecrop
01-04-2006, 03:06 PM
so blankman, knowing what you know about the stage 2 kit, would you get it for 2300 with the stage 2 black box, aftermarket headers, and all?

BlankMan
01-04-2006, 04:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cremeofthecrop)</div><div class='quotemain'>so blankman, knowing what you know about the stage 2 kit, would you get it for 2300 with the stage 2 black box, aftermarket headers, and all?</div>

I would. BUT... just make sure you check things out before buying. And make sure they include everything (Walbro fuel pump, injectors (depending on engine), oil feed and return lines, drive belt, etc.).

J

cremeofthecrop
01-04-2006, 04:54 PM
everything is included as on the website, but the guy says that is his daily driver now and he doesnt driving long miles to work using it everyday, comes with the fuel pump and all

SilverDragonGTZ
01-05-2006, 04:24 AM
wouldnt waste your time on ripp's sds...do more research...their black box isnt anything special...in fact its not even ripp's manufacturing inside the black box....but dont let ripp's official representative in this thread read this... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif go with tearstone...after seein how pretty much seemless someones installation has gone...get the turbo...better tq numbers as well generally on the dyno...which is better for streetability...hp high in the rpm range doesnt mean a whole lot unless you're on the track...

BlankMan
01-05-2006, 06:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>but dont let ripp's official representative in this thread read this... Â*:lol:</div>

:roll: ass... lol

just b/c I'm happy with the product and shares my opinions, don't label me like that. And it's well know they don't "manufacture" the box. They did, however, develope the specific programming to the 4G64...

And not to toot RIPPs horn further... but it always seems that anyone with negative comments of the RIPP SDS has never had one...

Still, the tearstone is a nice setup - I'm not arguing that - the original question was "is this a good deal?" and "would you get it?"... ie; RIPP

J

DryBear
01-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Question for creamofthecrop: is your car an I4 or V6?

cremeofthecrop
01-05-2006, 12:43 PM
2.4l v4 kinda budgetting also, thats why i am looking at it fro the 2300 and blankman seems to be ok and he has one

DryBear
01-05-2006, 01:17 PM
$2300 is not a bad price for a stage 2 kit+headers, as new parts would run you twice that.

The other thing to consider would be support. Russ at Tearstone has been very good at providing support via phone/e-mail.

I don't have any experience with Ripp, so I woundn't be able to tell you anything aside from "I heard/read this from so and so." Hey VegasMatt/Blankman, have you had any difficulty in contacting Ripp for support?

Granted, your kit would be second hand, but a good vendor should still stand behind their product.

Dominicano
01-05-2006, 02:45 PM
and he is not far from Ripp so if something goes wrong you don't have to call just go over to their shop

cremeofthecrop
01-05-2006, 04:52 PM
i always wanted to go fi since i done the bodykit, ice thingy. second question pros in the fireld, what is your opinion on the msd ignition boxes, do we reaLly need em when going fi? is it noticeable or a nice cosmetic? and if we do need em what type as i heard there are two main types for the different engine configuration