PDA

View Full Version : Please help.. Im at a loss.

Shadow19
01-06-2006, 10:18 PM
I just recently bought a 1997 Galant ES. It has less than 98k. I got it for a good deal so im like yea great. Well i drive it off the lot and it runs BRAND NEW!! so i bring it home and let it sit for enough time to get insurance and w/e i had to do to go out. I go to start my car it it starts fine so i drive it down the road and it stalls on me 2 times and it hesitates when i hit the gas. Sometimes it does it.. Sometimes it dont but it does it usually does it. I replace the wires, plugs, and the distributor cap. That didnt work so i take it to Autozone the next day and they tell me it is my 2nd piston misfiring and they couldnt suggest anything other than what i had already done. So i take it this tuesday to the dealer for a diagnostics test and now its saturday and they still dont know whats wrong with it. Im getting it back today and it wont be fixed. Ive been told it could be alot of things but i just dont want to spend all the money for trial and error. I need it for school on monday so can someone PLEASE PLEASE help me out here im at a loss. I wish i coud take it back and be like hey this car is fucked up but its far more difficult than that. I know there is nothing majorly wrong with the car its something simple... but what could it be? I was reading up about similar problems but none exactly like mine.

Kalamidad
01-06-2006, 10:37 PM
The dealership couldn't tell you what's wrong with it? that's strange.

How long exactly did it stand?
Did you warm it up in that time?
Is it Bone Stock?
What exactly did the dealership check? because a lot of things could make the car hesitate and shut off.
How do all the other systems in the car function? electrical.
Any strange noises?

Shadow19
01-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Yea. I took it tuesday for the recall and the diagnostics test. I called them every day since then and they keep saying they dont exactly know what it is. Yes the car is bone stock. I dont know what exactly they checked cause they wont tell me much over the phone. All the other stuff is perfect i had the alternator and battery tested and it came out perfect. I just have a slight problem when i turn on my heater full blast the lights dim till i rev the car up. The only strange noise that i hear is a belt squeaking when i turn the defroster on before the car fully warms up. The car runs fine it just wants to cut out on me when i go from a complete stop. The transmission doesnt slip or anything cause it does a burnout (not that the lil 141 HP motor smokes tires with an auto tranny but it does pretty damn good) https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif. Its just weird cause it ran perfectly when i test drove it.. and when i drove it home. I dont know what it is and i need HELP. Like i said i wish i could take it back but i got a hell of a deal on it $1400. ive cleaned the throttle body as well.. When i did that i forgot to hook up the MAS sensor when i took it for a ride.. it drove fine but it idled rough.. so i plugged it back in and it drove fine.. and when i looked at the plug going to it one of the connectors were rusted.. i didnt do anything about that but i told the guy at the dealer earlier about it. They have their "master" Mechanic looking at it.. i think they are bullshitting me cause im only paying them for a diagnostics test and im not paying acual labor hours. But i seriously need help i start school on monday and im screwed if i dont have my car cause school is about 25 miles from where i am..

ipaintu
01-06-2006, 11:08 PM
If he unhooked the MAS and reconnected it maybe resetting his ECU? Disconnecting the battery for about 15 mins and run for a few miles?

Just a shot hope you luck. and Welcome to the site.

SkylineG1
01-06-2006, 11:14 PM
If he unhooked the MAS and reconnected it maybe resetting his ECU? Disconnecting the battery for about 15 mins and run for a few miles?

Just a shot hope you luck. and Welcome to the site.

You may be right. When I was installing my intake I had to get something from the store in the middle of the job. So I just hooked the stock stuff up and took off. When I got to the light the car shuddered and then shut off.
Try this disconnect the battery overnight and then in the morning connect it back and start the car. Let the car run for about 15-20 minutes and then drive it. Let us know the results.

Shadow19
01-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Na. All of this shit was happening way before i even unplugged that MAS shit.

Shadow19
01-06-2006, 11:45 PM
O yea.. Sorry guys im thinking of everything to tell u at once and the list keeps going and going like a fuckin energiser bunny lol. But once i get the car up so speed it doesnt miss unless i hit the gas kinda hard and it only does this sometimes. Like i said its not an all the time problem but this stuff happens atleast 80% of the time.. maybe thats y the person traded this car in because they couldnt find out whats wrong with it... I dont know shoud i go kick the salesmans ass and staple his nutts to the "As is no warranty" papers?? Ahh o well.. im going to bed. Ill update tomorrow when i get the car back after 4 days of umm.. telling me nothing...... Take care and thanks for all the help so far. You guys are a lot of help..

seth98esT
01-06-2006, 11:55 PM
What do the plugs look like after being run on for awhile? The plugs will tell you a lot about the problem. Too much fuel, no fuel, carbon build up, ect, ect. Wouldnt be a bad thing to replace the fuel filter while youre at it.

Shadow19
01-07-2006, 12:05 AM
When i took the plugs out all 4 had a little grey around them. No oil or anything. And yea i think im gonna replace the fuel filter cause ive been told that could be the problem.

seth98esT
01-07-2006, 12:07 AM
If all the plugs look the same it shouldnt be the injectors. Try a new fuel filter, may be old and halfway clogged. Also could check the 02 sensors, but usually would give a CEL when they are bad.

Shadow19
01-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Ok im gonna do that. I will start off with the simple shit such as the rotor button and the fuel filter. Thanks for your help

DOHCstunr
01-07-2006, 02:09 AM
check for vaccum leaks.

manybrews
01-07-2006, 08:09 AM
a miss under load is almost always ignition related in some way.
its NOT a fuel filter, so dont waste you time and money.

be sure to do a compression check. And are you using factory parts? 'cause ive seen cheap aftermarket plugs and wires not work right out of the box.

krazienluv10
01-07-2006, 10:45 AM
hmm i had the same problem wit my moms car, tried out everything stated above, dealer couldnt find out either...but it was because i havent drove my car for a year...

Shadow19
01-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I got it back today.. It isnt doing it as bad. They changed out my plug wires free of charge you know... since they charged me 75 bucks to tell me they dont know whats wrong with my car. Im gonna replace the rotor button tomorrow but so far so good it runs slightly better. Once again thank you guys for all the help and if anyone has more suggestions just let me know.

bronxbombr
01-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Man i wish i lived out there where you live cuz i would make a killing fixing cars out there.

Imagine how much it would be if they charged you for changing the plug wires.

Shadow19
01-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Ok I noticed 2 things. 1 is the car runs like shit when its cold outside (usually at night) and 2 everytime i take the gas cap off of my car it makes that slurping noise. I wonder if that could be my problem since the pressure in the tank is fucked up. Also what would cause that the vapor canister????? And yea bronx you could make a living with ppl here. I personally take my car to my mechanic i dont trust dealers and car shops but i figured since it was Mitsubishi they had the correct computer and shit to put my car on to find out what the fuck was wrong with it... little did i know.. i should fight with them and get my 75 bucks back because im still in square 1. All they did was change out my wires (which i just changed the wires like a week ago) and fixed the recall on my car... O well fuck it i got my 75 bucks worth but i still dont know whats wrong with the car.. i guess im off to do more research. Thanks again you guys and if you have anymore suggestions PLEASE let me know.

Kalamidad
01-08-2006, 06:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shadow19)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok I noticed 2 things. 1 is the car runs like shit when its cold outside (usually at night) and 2 everytime i take the gas cap off of my car it makes that slurping noise. I wonder if that could be my problem since the pressure in the tank is fucked up. Also what would cause that the vapor canister????? And yea bronx you could make a living with ppl here. I personally take my car to my mechanic i dont trust dealers and car shops but i figured since it was Mitsubishi they had the correct computer and shit to put my car on to find out what the fuck was wrong with it... little did i know.. i should fight with them and get my 75 bucks back because im still in square 1. All they did was change out my wires (which i just changed the wires like a week ago) and fixed the recall on my car... O well fuck it i got my 75 bucks worth but i still dont know whats wrong with the car.. i guess im off to do more research. Thanks again you guys and if you have anymore suggestions PLEASE let me know.</div>

you didn't get your money's worth...Recall repairs are free of charge...They fix them and then charge Mitsubishi Motor Company for the costs.

If it doesn't bother you to fight with them, get your money back.

MBowen574
01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
i think the $75 is for a diagnostic charge. the plug wires are ostensibly free and the recall, as always, is actually free.

Shadow19
01-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Yea i know all that shit was free im not worried about that. I just hate the fact that i paid them 75 bucks for nothing. They couldnt tell me what the fuck is wrong with my car and im pissed about it.

Shadow19
01-10-2006, 12:47 PM
My personal mechanic has looked at it and we still dont know what the fuck is wrong with it. I dont know what to do. It works fine one fuckin day then the next it runs like shit.

seth98esT
01-10-2006, 01:00 PM
So if it runs fine on a warm day and runs like crap on another, could possibly be the MAS? I forget if you tried replacing it yet

jusmills
01-10-2006, 02:40 PM
did you pull the plugs to see if they're corroded & or covered in oil (even the new ones, because seal problems will return even if your plugs are new)...my car did this 8G, would run fine but under load would hesitate/studder shudder etc. Then it would drive normal, I found out that the gasket needed to be changed, along with seals around the plugs (that were allowing oil to get on the plugs)...after I got that fixed ($100 + new plugs and wires) everything was good. I would also recommend just using the stock NGK plugs, as I had issues using Bosch 4+ plugs that are listed as direct replacements...

Shadow19
01-10-2006, 07:19 PM
It not only runs like shit under a load but it idles fucked up. It will cut off in the middle of a stop light sometimes. But ill make sure to check the plugs. Im gonna replace the MAS sensor tomorrow thats one of the things we are going to do. But also when i take my gas cap off it doesnt matter if it has a full tank or not it makes a suckin noise like there isnt gas in the tank and you have been driving it. I dont know whats wrong with that but we are supposed to check the fuel pressure and all that. Its something simple i just dont know what the fuck it is and im basically FUCKED because im going to be missing school because of this (which i cant really afford to do). But thanks once again for yalls help.

Shadow19
01-11-2006, 09:25 PM
OK today my mechanic and i replaced the MAS sensor. Checked all the other sensors to make sure they were working correctly. Replaced the O2 sensor, cleaned and plugged up the EGR, checked all vaccuum lines. But now he looked in the water and there is oil with some sort of sealer we dont know if its head gasket sealer or block sealer. So we are going to do a compression test tomorrow. I looked at the plugs again and there was a good bit of carbon build up on them because its running rich (keep in mind these plugs have about 400 miles on them). We also replaced the fuel pressure regulator. So other than the compression test we dont nkow what the fuck to do about this problem. Other than the ECU, camshaft and crankshaft position sensors there is nothing else to check. SO if someone can PLEASE help me out im in dire need of help. Im missing school because of this. E-mail= [email protected]