PDA

View Full Version : Springs or Coilovers?

BEAST
10-21-2002, 08:10 PM
I don't want to spend too much money on a new suspension setup, and I don't really care too much about the ride either, just as long as is isn't too shitty. Which way would be the cheapest way to go, coilovers or springs? I know that if I get springs that I will have to get new shocks. Aren't new shocks includes with the coilover kits?

Also I know that 95-99 eclipse coilovers will work but how about springs will they work as well?

Besides new shocks for the springs and camber kit for the coilovers, is there anything else that I would have to buy for either one? I am looking more into springs because I don't want to spend too much and I probably will not be adjusting my ride height that often. If it is cheaper to go with coilovers though after the price of springs and shocks for them than I will go with the coilovers.

Kain
10-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Coilovers are just coilovers, struts/shocks not included (except the matched systems like JIC, but those are EXPENSIVE) Springs are almost always the cheepest way to go. And you don't have to get new struts, but it's recommended as it will give you a better ride, and you're gonna be in there anyway... What exactly are you expecting out of your suspension set up? there are many diffrent ways to set things up, and each will give you a diffrent outcome. Just randomly throwing parts togehter will generally give you crap. If performance is what you want, either Ground Controlls or Eibach Pro-kit will be your best bet, as you can keep the car high enough so the struts/shocks will still be able to work properly. If you want to slam the car, SkunkII coilovers will do that for you and cheap, but the ride will be terrible. I'm also fairly sure the 2g Eclipse shares the majority if it's suspension with the 7g. So what works for the 2g should work for the 7g. To do a suspension set-up "right" you're looking at around $800 give or take a little depending on deals. On the cheap, you can get coilovers from Skunk 2 and stick with stock struts for just over $200. I expect my suspension set up to run me over a grand all told, but I want a really good suspension. For a good all around set up, aim right at $500-$600

BEAST
10-21-2002, 11:32 PM
www.importstudio.com has a sale on 95-00 eclipse coilovers for $100.00. I was thinking of maybe these or some sprint springs from salsco. for $182.00. Are there any other better prices for springs/coilovers. Are struts the same as shocks? I would probably be getting KYBs or Koni shocks. Is there anything else I need to buy?

pinoyesv6
10-21-2002, 11:47 PM
www.importstudio.com has a sale on 95-00 eclipse coilovers for $100.00. I was thinking of maybe these or some sprint springs from salsco. for $182.00. Are there any other better prices for springs/coilovers. Are struts the same as shocks? I would probably be getting KYBs or Koni shocks. Is there anything else I need to buy?

you don't want weapon-r coils on your car...unless u wanna waste money

BEAST
10-22-2002, 05:06 AM
are they that bad?

brandon
10-22-2002, 11:57 AM
I have the Weapon R's on my car, they're not complete trash, but if I had the money to buy something else, I'd go for it. I'm swapping out my front struts to aftermarket in the next week or so, so I'll be able to let you know how the ride is with Weapon Rs, KYB GR2s in front, and Tokico blues in back.

Right now the ride is super bouncy, but I haven't had aftermarket struts on the front.

If you want coilovers, I've heard Ground Controls are best despite a little extra money, and for coilovers made specifically for our cars.

I've been hearing good things about Skunk 2 too though. <shrug>

2True
10-30-2002, 11:10 PM
I bought my agx's from them. 85 a piece which was the best deal around!

BEAST
11-11-2002, 01:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the Weapon R's on my car, they're not complete trash, but if I had the money to buy something else, I'd go for it. I'm swapping out my front struts to aftermarket in the next week or so, so I'll be able to let you know how the ride is with Weapon Rs, KYB GR2s in front, and Tokico blues in back.</div>

Have you got your struts installed yet?

HiperSilver
11-11-2002, 05:50 PM
a note to all you guys

avoid eclipse 95-99 coilovers or springs, why do i say this?

Yes they fit perfectly, but the spring rates are completely different, different enough to make a shitty ride, if u must then go for it, but try to stick with ones made for the galant.

BEAST
11-11-2002, 06:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiperSilver)</div><div class='quotemain'>a note to all you guys

avoid eclipse 95-99 coilovers or springs, why do i say this?

Yes they fit perfectly, but the spring rates are completely different, different enough to make a shitty ride.</div>

Accoding to Cars.com the 95 eclipse RS which is the lightest weighs 2723 lbs. where as the 95 eclipse GSX which is the heaviest weighs 3120 lbs.

The 94 Galant S which is the lightest weighs 2755 lbs. where the 94 Galant LS which is the heaviest weighs 2976 lbs.

So I guess the only thing that would make the difference in spring rate would be the distribution of the front and rear springs. Which I do not know. Anyone able to find this out? I wouldn't really think that this acute weight difference would really matter so much since they very so much between trim levels. Since all of the Galant model's weight are between the different trim levels of the Eclipse, as in the Galant isn't heavier nor lighter than any given Eclipse, I can't see why this wouldn't work.

bstnsportsfan
11-12-2002, 06:33 PM
For springs, I'd either go with Eibach lowering springs or Ground Control coils. As far as shocks, AGX's or Koni's seems to be the most popular. I would suggest to spend the little extra and do it right and have a good ride quality, rather then doing it cheap and having poor ride quality and problems.