PDA

View Full Version : 8g cf hood repairable??

Censee
10-21-2002, 09:08 PM
i was either wanting to mold a scoop on my car,get the erebuni one,or th cf evo one.i dont wanna go through the trouble of molding,or get the cheap fiberglass non fitting erebuni one,so im gonna get the cf hood,but i want it to match my car color.one question i have is,if my cf hood were to get damaged or cracked after painting it,is it repairable???because i know cf is a woven material,i wanna know if its fixable,thanks??

Censee
10-21-2002, 11:28 PM
geh,19 views ,and not 1 reply... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

pinoyesv6
10-21-2002, 11:44 PM
CF can be repaired, especially since you are gonna match it to your car's color. the harder part is finding someone to do the work and do good work

BGR
10-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Well, don't you hate it when someone responds to your quest for an answer and they don't have a solution?

This is not an easy answer. You know as well as I that anything can be repaired if you got the cash to fix it. I haven't found a viable solution while searching Google for an answer. Sorry bro.

Censee
10-22-2002, 12:52 AM
ya uzi know that fiberglass is easy to repar,but i remember a while back somerecieved their cf hood damaged and went to get it fixed,i dont remember who it was.does the erebuni one really fit that bad??and does it crack easily??i would get the cf hoo because the fit is perfect for US galants,so ive heard

BGR
10-22-2002, 01:04 AM
Jason's (Outlawzcc) CF hood was damage during transit. I don't recall what he did to repair it or if he did repair it.

I don't know about how 'bad' the fiberglass Erebuni EVO style fits but I believe you need to use hood pins with that one. For the CF, it's optional.

http://www.geocities.com/outlawzcc2001/outlawzcc_001.JPG

Censee
10-22-2002, 01:07 AM
i remembe the guye that spent like 900 bux jut o make the erebuni one fit.thats waay too much to modify.i would get the rebuni ne if the fitment wasnt all that bad and the fiberglass wasnt as cheap.i know if someone would just lean on my fiberglass hood,it ill not be worth even getting.thats why i want the cf hood,its alittle better material tan fiberglass.but i still dont know yet.hopefully i wont regrt it.ay suggestons from ay of u,thanks BGR for trying to help,this is a decision i really dont wanna regret./

pinoyesv6
10-22-2002, 01:08 AM
well since you will be painting the hood, the repair work for a cf hood would be a lil bit easier. the big part in repairing a cf hood is getting the repair patchwork to match with the existing part. but since everything will be covered, you don't ahve to worry that much

Censee
10-22-2002, 01:15 AM
thanks alot.will end up getting the cf hood,just because i know that fiberglass material is a piece of shit.u guys think ill have problems with the intake air duct and water gettingin there whil raining??

pinoyesv6
10-22-2002, 01:22 AM
thanks alot.will end up getting the cf hood,just because i know that fiberglass material is a piece of shit.u guys think ill have problems with the intake air duct and water gettingin there whil raining??

well first of all remember that erebuni doens't make first rate quality items. and that well CF can take heat better than FB, like in turbo situations. but about the duct well, if you have a short ram or do bgr's mod, you might wanna consider makign a simple diverter so that well the cold air still makes it into the engine bay just not toward the filter where it can get damaged by water and cause other problems

Censee
10-22-2002, 01:25 AM
thank pinoy,glad to see someone i trying to help.hopefully i can order it by next week.and have it painted soon

pinoyesv6
10-22-2002, 01:32 AM
thank pinoy,glad to see someone i trying to help.hopefully i can order it by next week.and have it painted soon

thats cool. in the meantime, u might wanna find a shop that will paint it. some shops will say you can use special paint and not guarantee their work. some say you need a special paint blah blah blah. just try to find a good shop that will do a good job and offer some kinda warranty on it if possible against like cracking or chipping of the paint

Censee
10-22-2002, 03:11 AM
do u actually need a special paint,an is it more likeley to crack.??ive seen many cf hood painted here,but they paint like stripes on it and shit.not the whole thing

DeBull
10-22-2002, 09:09 AM
One thing I have found out from a very well renowned body shop near me is that real carbon fiber is one of the most durable things there is. Denting, scrapes, it will take anything and still last. However the sheets of cf that we almost always see these day are not the case and can get screwed up more easily even trying to put hood pins in. SO make sure to check what kind of material it is for sure before you purchase and you will be much happier in the end. Trying to help a little..Peace

Prophet
10-22-2002, 09:20 AM
Hey Censee I was the one trying to find a shop to repair my CF hood. I still have not found a body shop to fix it. They either do not want to deal with a aftermarket hood or don't even no what carbon fiber is and these people have been in the business for 30 or 40 years :roll: I have not done a search in So Cal but you might find someone there since down there you will find most of the aftermarket business. But I am unsure where you live so this info might not help you. I can tell you that I have searched every where from San Francisco to Sacramento and I can not find a place. Just remember to always insure and if it does come to you damaged don't accept it. The only reason I did was because I could not wait and know I am paying for it know.

Jason

speedygalant
10-22-2002, 10:12 AM
do u actually need a special paint,an is it more likeley to crack.??ive seen many cf hood painted here,but they paint like stripes on it and shit.not the whole thing

hey censee, i know of a good ass shop. it's8181 here in miami. call 305-445-8181 or 445-1818. i can't remember teh number exactly but it's one of those. ask for freddie. tell him ricky from u.s. parking sent you. good luck dawg.

Censee
10-22-2002, 12:33 PM
thnks alot mn,i will check it out

ThaKiDThaTWinS
10-22-2002, 09:15 PM
well the only experiance i have with carbon fiber are ice hockey sticks...my stick ran me about 150...and one that shit is cracked and the little fibers start commin out theres nothing u can do to stop it...once its messed up...its messed up...or maybe if u just sand off those fibers that are messed up...then even it out with some gloss or something u could play off a crack or imperfection...but thats my 2 cents, im no rocket scientist

Censee
10-22-2002, 09:55 PM
im more confu :cry: :cry: :cry: :? :? :? sed than when i started....

Censee
10-22-2002, 09:55 PM
confused* :? :? :? :? :?

pinoyesv6
10-23-2002, 12:18 AM
first of all censee, think about a hockey stick. think about all the abuse you put with it. hitting the puck, hitting the ground, tripping people over. god forbid that you'd put your hood through that kinda abuse.

as for your deal, you're str8 cuz you said you were gonna paint over it. so that would mean if there were any inperfections or signs from the repair work, it won't be seen since it would be covered with paint