PDA

View Full Version : left brakes wears fast

BEAST
10-21-2002, 10:54 PM
I installed new brake pads and rotors on my car a while ago and about 5 months later with moderate driving the left pad needed changed. The right pad I would say was at normal wear for that long, but the left pad was almost gone. Any reason for this and way to fix it?

TJC
10-21-2002, 11:22 PM
There are lots of factors that can cause excessive brake pad wear on one side or one wheel. The most common is probably rough rotor surface from say worn out pads from before and metal from the brake pads have scraped the surface and is rough or warped rotors or debris stuck btwn pad and disc that might lead to faster pad wear. Other reasons could be air in line of the one tire so it never receives the same amount of pressure for braking, pistons and seal need cleaning and relube to function smoothly, or you need to reset the pressure to factory specs at the proportioning valves on the hydraulic unit for the brake system. I don't have the manual for the 7G so don't know if all this applies to you but it should give you a place to start.

BEAST
10-21-2002, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the help. I know that it couldn't be the first one because I changed the pads and the rotors. Maybe I'll bleed my brakes.

Nick VR4
10-22-2002, 02:55 AM
I hope you replaced all front sets of pads not just the worn side ????

BEAST
10-22-2002, 04:56 AM
But ofcourse

95vegasgalant
10-22-2002, 10:37 PM
:twisted: If theres no lines kinked its your calipers in the left side sticking 100% :twisted:

Kain
10-22-2002, 11:06 PM
Umm, do a caliper check:

Park the car, chock the wheels, set the E-brake, Jack up the front end of the car and put it on jack stands and remove the front wheels. Put the car in Neutral, and have a friend get in the car. Now have the friend step on the brake while you try to turn the rotor. When he takes his foot off the brake, the wheel should immediately began to turn. If not, the caliper is sticking, and needs to be replaced. I strongly think this is your problem. Or else like was said earlier, you have air in the lines. Try a good bleed when you change out the pads. Or, if you've never done it go ahead and flush the lines completely. Your brakes will thank you. Speaking of which, I need to take off my DBAs and go back to stock brakes so I can stop again...

nme7
11-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Kain,

What's wrong with your DBAs? I thought they worked great on everyone's car.

I was about to purchase them but now I need more info about your situation.

Kain
11-06-2002, 04:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nme7)</div><div class='quotemain'>Kain,

What's wrong with your DBAs? I thought they worked great on everyone's car. Â*

I was about to purchase them but now I need more info about your situation.</div>

They were warped when I recieved them. And it has gotten progressively worse with time to the point where now even light breaking produces a teeth-rattling shudder, and hard breaking causes the car to shake so hard interior plastic pieces come loose and fall off. I'm rather dissapointed with DBA, because they blamed it on the instalation and won't accept responsibility for the defective product.

nme7
11-06-2002, 06:27 PM
That bites. And how is one supposed to know it is not warped before installing them onto a car and trying it out?

TJC
11-09-2002, 03:28 AM
They were warped when I recieved them. And it has gotten progressively worse with time to the point where now even light breaking produces a teeth-rattling shudder, and hard breaking causes the car to shake so hard interior plastic pieces come loose and fall off. I'm rather dissapointed with DBA, because they blamed it on the instalation and won't accept responsibility for the defective product.

That does totally bite. It's sad that a big company (or so they claim to be) will not stand behind there product to get a replacement to you in good faith....... now they just ruined there customer service rep. and everyone knows. They obviously are not business ppl.

Anyway, there are a lot of alternatives coming down the pipe. Did TireRack ever get those OEM replacement rotors from Brembo in? Should be close if not yet. KRP also had Brembo OEM replacements that were both crossdrilled and slotted too.