PDA

View Full Version : Painting headlights

devgrp
01-26-2006, 07:48 AM
I will be painting my entire headlights black except the turn signal areas. Do I have to sand the reflectors? also what paint do you guys recommend.

Thanks

ipaintu
01-26-2006, 07:54 AM
ok this is what I have done...

I saned my headlights with a 600 grit sandpaper dry on a DA to remove all road bullshit, Then i went to 1000 wetsanding paper to remove the dry scratches. Now you dont want to use BLACK paint. You want to use clear coat and a little black added to it.. I only used a few good drops and put many coats on them to let them dry faster and shine more..
Once I did this I wetsanded and buffed and was good to go...
I only put a small amount of black in clear so i could controll my darkness level... you better not drive in country tho and your high beams are gonna be done.. I have to drive with fog lights on at night and really they are only thing i can see from..

gl tho

devgrp
01-26-2006, 08:07 AM
I have a projector HID setup. All I'm paint are the silver pieces to cut down on the glare. I'm not painting the lens. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

g-ridda
01-26-2006, 10:11 AM
no u dont have to sand anything. sanding is for pieces that your think youll be constantly touching or would have a chance of gettin banged up the housing wont be touched except when ure putting your headlights back together jus be careful.

devgrp
01-26-2006, 10:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g-ridda)</div><div class='quotemain'>no u dont have to sand anything. sanding is for pieces that your think youll be constantly touching or would have a chance of gettin banged up the housing wont be touched except when ure putting your headlights back together jus be careful.</div>Thanks. How is your retro going? I'm getting some RHD TSX projectors this weekend to put in my second set of headlights.

Danger DANJ
01-26-2006, 11:30 AM
I painted the insides of my headlights with the Krylon Fusion paint without sanding or anything. Just make sure you let it dry for a good amount of time and don't let anything rub against it when you put the housings back together. Also, make sure to clean the chrome real good first with rubbing alcohol.

g-ridda
01-26-2006, 11:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>g-ridda wrote: Â*
no u dont have to sand anything. sanding is for pieces that your think youll be constantly touching or would have a chance of gettin banged up the housing wont be touched except when ure putting your headlights back together jus be careful. Â*
Thanks. How is your retro going? I'm getting some RHD TSX projectors this weekend to put in my second set of headlights</div>

man school started not to long ago i havent even had any time i have my extra set of headlights and all jus no time.

devgrp
01-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I've had good results with the Krylon paints before. I'm going to paint them tonight so they are good a dry for this weekend.

Skillz911
01-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah no need to sand as the others said. I recommend using a semi gloss black paint. In my opinion thats the shade to use b/c its not to shiny nor to flat looking thats what I did when I had my other headlights.