PDA

View Full Version : anyone else's hood do this? *pics*

qnz
01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
i always found it weird that the driver side of my hood has a bend to it although its never been in an accident before. i noticed at a meet that some other people's galant had the same problem. is it the hood or could it be the fender? also, the adjustable knobs are turned all the way down. my hood cant latch shut with the knobs up at all. it doesnt look as bad in the pics, probably cuz of the shadows. but in person its more noticable.

http://e.1asphost.com/qnzxaaron/galant/hood1.jpg
too low

http://e.1asphost.com/qnzxaaron/galant/hood2.jpg
the hood has a funny bend to it

http://e.1asphost.com/qnzxaaron/galant/hood4.jpg
http://e.1asphost.com/qnzxaaron/galant/hood5.jpg
http://e.1asphost.com/qnzxaaron/galant/hood3.jpg

the passenger side is normal

ChikagoGTZ
01-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Bend it back....one corner musta been leaned on or something?? Could be warpage due to heat???

quicksilver22
01-26-2006, 01:52 PM
isn't there the little rotator things that you can turn to raise or lower the height?

like the little rubber stobs on the trunk to level it???

i may be wrong, but i believe there is... check that

Alexey
01-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Your car hasn't been wrecked, has it? :? If not, then I have no idea...

qnz
01-26-2006, 04:16 PM
if i raise the rubber knobs, the bend in the middle becomes more obvious.

and i tried bending the corner back up, while at the same time pushing the middle down, to the point where i would hear the metal groaning/cracking. but no difference.

Xska55
01-26-2006, 04:54 PM
looks like your hood was taking off at some point and not aligned properly when it was re-installed

UAL Tripple 7
01-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Man my hood has that exact same problem. My hood has never been taken off of the car ans it has that bend in it.

Donovan
01-26-2006, 05:40 PM
yeah I had a bend like dat.

seth98esT
01-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Looks like a fat chick sat on your hood. Same thing hapenned to censees hood in 2 Fast 2 Furious!

DRLova2003
01-28-2006, 12:25 AM
I've had that same problem. I'm always wondering why it was like that.

IceDouTGaLanT
01-28-2006, 12:52 AM
mine to..maybe its a defect daym mistu

Stewi
01-28-2006, 07:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xska55)</div><div class='quotemain'>looks like your hood was taking off at some point and not aligned properly when it was re-installed</div>

I agree, what you really should do, is loosen the 4 bolts that hold the hood to the hinges, just loosen them enough so you can move the hood around, I would also loosen the bolts that hold the latch to the radiator suport, try sliding the latch upwards as much as possible, these parts only move slightly but it makes a big difference. If your hood is generally out of alignment, maybe those rubber bumpers arent in contact at the right places. You should have like 4 bumpers, one on each fender edge and 1 on each corner of the radiator support.

shiznit013
01-28-2006, 03:27 PM
I have the same problem on the driver side. I've never had the hood off, and no front end collision.

Fall Out Boy
01-31-2006, 05:03 AM
i got the same thing... you only notice it tho when your looking for it...

GAGalant01
01-31-2006, 09:28 AM
i think the defect is in the hood and quarter panel. i don't think you need to loosen the hood to realign it. since the passenger side is fine, i think you should take a rubber dead blow mallot and give a few good hits to the top lip of the quarter panel where it meets the hood to knock that back and then tap the hood to get it bent back.

i have not had that happen with my hood. maybe it is a certain year or something. my original hood for my car looked worse than that, but that was because it was wrecked.

pinoyesv6
01-31-2006, 08:42 PM
i think the hood is misaligned too. look at the gaps on both sides. on the drivers side there is barely even a gap.

lonestar22
01-31-2006, 08:45 PM
ya looks to me as the hood is on kinda sideways. what years are all yalls Galants? i bet they all have something in common.

qnz
02-01-2006, 02:35 PM
well i tried to move the latch up but that doesnt work for the 03 because the latch is also bolted to the "nose". i also tried moving the hood around by pushing it back a little. (makes my headlights stick out even more) and shifting it left and right (looks off center).

ideally, the hood needs to sit 5 mm higher than where it is now. that way the 2 corners of the hood would be flush with the fender.

what do you guys say to drilling new holes a few mm up for the latch? would that mess up the strength of the latch?

krispy03
02-01-2006, 02:40 PM
AAAAAAK
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/KRISPY03/100_0901.jpg

qnz
02-01-2006, 02:48 PM
hey krispy, did getting a cf hood have the same problem?

krispy03
02-01-2006, 02:53 PM
not an overlap, but a gap along the fender.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/KRISPY03/100_0610.jpg

jusmills
02-01-2006, 03:04 PM
I'd say that it was a manufacturing defect...most places have to hold a tolerance of so much...the thing that would seem obvious to me is that
1. What are mitsubishi's tolerances on gap + run out of the oem parts
2. Compare that to Erebuni/VIS/etc on how much tolerance is in their processes
3. Realize that the parts are either 1. carbon fiber weave OVER fiberglass. 2. Pure carbon fiber (all the way through not likely)

Fiberglass parts will warp under heat, stress etc but I would say the most likely problem is that erebuni/VIS' mold to make the parts may have been slightly off. The reason I say this is because I highly doubt they put very much effort into producing very tight tolerance parts. Plus they are an aftermarket supplier, there is almost no way they can guarantee the tolerances that OEM maker are required to without spending more money than its worth (ie diminishing returns). The likelihood that everyone's problems would be exactly the same is very very small unless the defect was with the hood itself. The OEM hood holds the gap width between fender and hood precisely, plus its made of metal which won't warp over time nearly as much.

To get this problem solved...I would 1. everyone with a hood take pictures of the area in question. 2. online we compare/contrast this issue
3. as a group contact VIS/Erebuni whoever stating the issue and members need to see changes/new hoods/etc - they might fold because of 1. bad publicity 2. threat of lawsuit.

Are there any warranties on the hoods?

little blue
02-01-2006, 03:27 PM
nuts and bolts loosen up over time, especially if you are removing and replacing things. you have to make sure that everything is lined up. with the hood drup, see if the henge bolts slid a little. this will cause it, and check the fender bolts. they might have worked themselves loose.

just think about what is writen below

just though of something that might be causing it. the hood prop. when the hood is up the prop is only on one side correct. the right side (the side everyone is having issues with). the problem is that the rest of the hood is unsupported. hold a peice of paper by one corner and keep the back on the table. what happens? the hood is getting torque out of shape by the prop causing it to drop to the right.

pinoyesv6
02-01-2006, 04:27 PM
3. as a group contact VIS/Erebuni whoever stating the issue and members need to see changes/new hoods/etc - they might fold because of 1. bad publicity 2. threat of lawsuit.

Are there any warranties on the hoods?

many times these manufacuters have terms and conditions that you agree upon before entering their site so by looking at their site or purchasing their product you agree to their conditions that say that because of the manufacturing process of the pieces there might be some uneveness and that thier products are sold as is. there might be some fitment problems blah blah blah blah blah.

shiznit013
02-01-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't know about everyone else's, but my hood is stock.

jusmills
02-01-2006, 07:54 PM
many times these manufacuters have terms and conditions that you agree upon before entering their site so by looking at their site or purchasing their product you agree to their conditions that say that because of the manufacturing process of the pieces there might be some uneveness and that thier products are sold as is. there might be some fitment problems blah blah blah blah blah.

Didn't know that...I guess no one really looks at the fine print. I just hope that if at all possible people with the hoods can get the issues at least addressed.

rhema83
02-03-2006, 08:31 PM
My hood does that too. It's really annoying.