PDA

View Full Version : Changing The Brake Pads *Stripped Screw*

Stay Alert
01-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Awhile back i was using the tutorial on how to change the brake pads and rotors, but on the driver side i was trying to take 1 of those long bolts off the bottom i think it was that holds the piston in place, i was trying to take it off and i accidently stripped it, and now i can't take it off, but i can still change my brake pads with it stripped but, i need to take the rotor off and get it resurfaced, because when i am driving and i hit the brakes going fast my steering wheel shakes violently, but my question is what can i do to take off the stripped bolt?

IceDouTGaLanT
01-28-2006, 06:04 PM
go to sears and get that striped screw set, and take it off i used it for my hood and trunk when i striped them

craftman make it

Stay Alert
01-28-2006, 06:20 PM
thanx, i appreciate that

Bezzle
01-28-2006, 06:24 PM
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00952154000 ('http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952154000')

co-signed.ive got a set in the garage.

pinoyesv6
01-28-2006, 08:27 PM
a screw out set isn't gonna help since he stripped a bolt head not a screw. there aren't no screws that hold the bolts in. only bolts.

so yea, first thing i'd do is go out and get a new bolt. no point of removing the bolt if you have to put back that old stripped bolt.

then i'd go out and get a bolt out set. they are'nt that expensive. you might even want to use that new bolt you bought as a guide to help you purchase the bolt out set.

if you don't want to do that, i usually take a pair of vice grips and lock them on really tight and take the bolt out that way.

Stay Alert
01-28-2006, 09:40 PM
is it possible 2 find this bolt at an auto parts store like auto zone or something, or would i have to go to the dealership.

pinoyesv6
01-28-2006, 09:49 PM
you might. you never said which bolt you stripped. your best bet is to go there and tell them which bolt you broke and see if they have one.

Stay Alert
01-29-2006, 03:45 PM
its the long bolt that holds the whole caliper in place, theres only 2 bolts, and i only stripped 1 of them, there both real long do you know which 1's i am talkin about now, hopefully they do have those at autozone or somethin.

pinoyesv6
01-29-2006, 04:49 PM
i still don't know which one you stripped. it sounds like you stripped the guide pin or the lock pin. the head of the bolt will tell you which one it is.