PDA

View Full Version : fuel gauge problem

LoWang
01-28-2006, 07:27 PM
So I got myself aftermarket gauges face. When I first installed in didn't have any problems. My fuel gauge needle reset itself and speed was like 2 mph off no biggy.

My problem I have now is I took needles off to clear em and spray the black part, and when I put back fuel needle didn't reset itself and speedo is off 10mph. My low fuel indicator is on and fuel guage sez I have a little less then a half a tank.

Is there anything I can do about this if so and you can help me over phone or like by suffolk, long island newyork message me please

4-G-rim
01-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Did you mark where the gauge needles were at before you removed them? If not...you probably installed them off their previous mark which could explain your incorrect gauge readings.

LoWang
01-29-2006, 12:02 AM
First time I didn't and like I sed it reset itself and the second time I did, and I thank for the reply but I need to know if there's a fix not if I messed it up

4-G-rim
01-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Well...the only thing I can think of is that your gauge cluster was probably damaged when you installed the needles the second time. I would probably say you might have to get a new gauge cluster. Gauge clusters are finicky and can be easily damaged.

LoWang
01-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Is that the only choice I got if so how do I make odometer have same miles

pinoyesv6
01-29-2006, 11:14 AM
if you want your gauge to be as accurate as it was just before you took out the needles, you need to get a new cluster. and to do that legally you need to do all the approriate government paperwork so that you don't get hit with odometer fraud in the future.

if you want to keep your current cluster, what you migfht try doing is removing the gas needle, fill up the tank. then drive around for a few miles and put the needle back on. you need to drive for a few miles to give the pin that pivots the needle time to go all the way up. not 100% accurate but it should be closer than what you have now. gas light is your friend and is more accurate than the needle so keep that in mind.

as for the speedo, same thing, you won't hit it on the dot. thing with the speedo needle is that on the mechanism that turns the needle, zero is passed the zero mark on the speedo. on the mechanism, absolute zero would be like negative 5-10 mph on the speedo. for that what i'd do is again, pull off the needle, get yourself in a big empty parking lot. get the car moving, like less than 5 mph, and put the needle back around zero. be very careful with this method, you might want to bring a friend to pull the ebrake just incase you don't have your eyes on the road and you're about to hit something.

but yea, kevin's right, the gauge cluster is very finicky so do all this at your own risk. my cluster too is off but i just got used to it adjust the readings in my head. its cheaper for me to do that than it is to worry about fixing a broken cluster.

btw, i have a spare cluster, its missing some pieces but if you need a cluster to maybe transfer a speedo onto or a gas guage, then this could work for you.

LoWang
01-29-2006, 12:44 PM
I am going to try that but I forgot to add sometimes the low fuel will come on the start to dim out. So I don't know