PDA

View Full Version : Doing tune up on a 9G LS

unknown_owner
01-29-2006, 09:50 PM
I want to do my own tune-ups on my LS. Gonna change the air filter, spark plugs, maybe the wires, and PCV valve. Oil changes are done on a regular basis.

For the air filter I'm gonna use K&N Stock filter #33-2285.
I don't know what PCV valve to use and where it is located.

The spark plugs look like they will be tough because 3 of them seem to be behind the header, if that is what the big thing on top is called. Never actually saw one before. Anyway, what spark plugs are recommended as well as the spark plug wires?

Are there any complete car care manuals out for the 9G yet, like Haynes or Chilton?

manybrews
01-29-2006, 10:10 PM
first, you dont need to change the plugs until 60000 miles.
second, you dont need to replace the PCV valve ever (unless it fails).
there also shouldnt be any plug wires, 'cause its a coil-on-plug ignition system .
lastly, if you dont know what youre doing, DONT DO IT. you could cause some real damage.

unknown_owner
01-30-2006, 07:00 PM
I have tune-ups on my older cars before, so I will be fine. The reason for the tune up is that I bought the car used and don't know the condition the car was run at before I bought it, so I would rather know the condition by changing it myself. I forogt about the plugs wires, but thanks for reminding me. And I generally do a tune-up every 25-30K, and that was on all my cars; yeah I know there not needed, but better safe then sorry.

manybrews
01-30-2006, 07:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unknown_owner)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have tune-ups on my older cars before, so I will be fine. Â*The reason for the tune up is that I bought the car used and don't know the condition the car was run at before I bought it, so I would rather know the condition by changing it myself. Â*I forogt about the plugs wires, but thanks for reminding me. Â*And I generally do a tune-up every 25-30K, and that was on all my cars; yeah I know there not needed, but better safe then sorry.</div>
seriously, doing the plugs is a TOTAL waste of money. thats the reason for mitsu using platinum and/or iridium plugs; They last at LEAST 60k. most EASILY last 100k.
save your money and spend it on fluid changes instead (the trans and coolant are due at 30K)