PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake conversion Complete!

GOOSEY2099
02-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Well after a long night and some more work today, I have a rear disk brake system. This is something that I would definitely recommend for all the I4 owners. This was an easy conversion and NAPALM's tutorial on club 3G really helped. In total I found that you need calipers, bridges, brake lines, backing plate with ebrake. You do not need new spindles. I’ll post some pics later this week.

Darkkend
02-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Main Entry: 1break
Pronunciation: 'brAk
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): broke /'brOk/; bro·ken /'brO-k&n/; break·ing
Etymology: Middle English breken, from Old English brecan; akin to Old High German brehhan to break, Latin frangere
transitive senses
1 a : to separate into parts with suddenness or violence b : FRACTURE <break an arm> c : RUPTURE <break the skin> d : to cut into and turn over the surface of <break the soil> e : to render inoperable <broke his watch>

Main Entry: 5brake
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from obsolete brake bridle
1 : a device for arresting or preventing the motion of a mechanism usually by means of friction
2 : something used to slow down or stop movement or activity <use interest rates as a brake on spending>
- brake·less /'brA-kl&s/ adjective

But that was quick last week you were just talking about it.

GOOSEY2099
02-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks for pointing out the break to brake mistake. As long as you have all the parts everything will be quick.

bronxbombr
02-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Nice going, i expect to see a full write up with pics too.

Oh ya i started the car today, started on first turn of the key. Havent drove her yet but will see.

GreyGoose01
02-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Well after a long night and some more work today, I have a rear disk brake system. This is something that I would definitely recommend for all the I4 owners. This was an easy conversion and NAPALM's tutorial on club 3G really helped. In total I found that you need calipers, bridges, brake lines, backing plate with ebrake. You do not need new spindles. I’ll post some pics later this week.

how bout i just bring mine to you and YOU do it

qnz
02-02-2006, 01:42 AM
damn Roman, yours and Stewi's car are the hottest Galants in NYC. cant wait to oogle at your car at the next meet.

GEMINITHUG
02-02-2006, 01:11 PM
yeah if i get parts how much will you charge for labor

datdude305
02-02-2006, 01:30 PM
im am def doing the tranny cuz of your and peano tuts

now if you do this one i am going actually do it all the tuts ive seen hav been mising blanks

Stewi
02-02-2006, 04:56 PM
damn Roman, yours and Stewi's car are the hottest Galants in NYC. cant wait to oogle at your car at the next meet.

thanks qnz. I got the rear disc conversion too, im waiting on my new rotors, pads and lines to come in. I gotta wait til it gets warmer so I can get the car painted, its too cold. Its like 3 different colors....lol

GOOSEY2099
02-02-2006, 05:22 PM
I spoke with my guy at the shop and the total to do the conversion will be $200. Thats just labor. The parts you should get from car-parts.com Let me know if anyone is intrested. The shop is in queens, ny.

GEMINITHUG
02-02-2006, 05:31 PM
not bad how much did parts cost you?

GEMINITHUG
02-02-2006, 05:32 PM
how much did parts cost you

GOOSEY2099
02-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I got new rotors front and rear for $120 from r1concepts.com, and hawk brake pads for $120 front and rear. As far as all the other parts, they were $150

BigMike
02-03-2006, 10:50 AM
that's not bad for labor Roman...i might be interested in that project

02on19s
02-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Siiiick u got pictures??
So what was the total for the whole project? 8) 8)

GOOSEY2099
02-03-2006, 11:22 AM
I'll try to get some pics for you today.

Danger DANJ
02-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Nice. You know better than to start a thread like this without pictures. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Shame on you.

GOOSEY2099
02-03-2006, 12:41 PM
LOL

milo111000
02-04-2006, 12:30 AM
from which car did you get the parts from?

GOOSEY2099
02-04-2006, 02:58 AM
I got the parts from an 01 eclipse v6

milo111000
02-04-2006, 03:05 AM
does the v6 gs have rear disc brakes? or we have to get em only from the exlps?

GOOSEY2099
02-04-2006, 03:11 AM
either get it from a galant gtz or any eclipse v6, only the v6 models have them

Stewi
02-04-2006, 09:28 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'>either get it from a galant gtz or any eclipse v6, only the v6 models have them</div>

Thats wrong. They did offer rear discs on a few non V6 3g's but they are hard to come by. Guys I had a friend at mitsu run the part#'s on the major rear disc parts, calipers, rotors, backing plate, etc. Every Front Wheel Drive Eclipse, both turbo and non-turbo from 95-2005, with rear disc will fit our cars. The parts I got were off a 2g Eclipse GS-T. I also paid $150.

GEMINITHUG
02-04-2006, 12:01 PM
im down for this, i get my tax money in a few weeks ill hola at you

GOOSEY2099
02-04-2006, 01:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'>either get it from a galant gtz or any eclipse v6, only the v6 models have them</div>

Thats wrong. They did offer rear discs on a few non V6 3g's but they are hard to come by. Guys I had a friend at mitsu run the part#'s on the major rear disc parts, calipers, rotors, backing plate, etc. Every Front Wheel Drive Eclipse, both turbo and non-turbo from 95-2005, with rear disc will fit our cars. The parts I got were off a 2g Eclipse GS-T. I also paid $150.</div>

What do you mean thats wrong? and what did I say?

GOOSEY2099
02-04-2006, 01:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GEMINITHUG)</div><div class='quotemain'>im down for this, i get my tax money in a few weeks ill hola at you</div>

No problem, anytime

Stewi
02-04-2006, 04:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'> only the v6 models have them</div>

galant305
02-06-2006, 03:49 PM
:twisted: other reason to have a V6 https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif viva the V6

krispy03
02-06-2006, 04:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant305)</div><div class='quotemain'>:twisted: Â*other reason to have a V6 Â*:D Â*viva the V6</div>
you cant engine swap a V6, VIVA i4 :firedevil:

AVERAGE
02-13-2006, 02:24 AM
pics :TGC: pics

shiznit013
02-13-2006, 10:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krispy03)</div><div class='quotemain'>you cant engine swap a V6, VIVA i4 Â*:firedevil:</div>

You don't need to swap a V6, because it's not a turd. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

AVERAGE
02-13-2006, 10:05 PM
mmkay... Guys is this a honda forum or what? Its really starting to sound like one. They are some hateful mofos...

pinoyesv6
02-14-2006, 10:50 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVERAGE)</div><div class='quotemain'>pics :TGC: Â*pics</div>

it looks just like the factory rear disc setup that came standard on galants with rear discs... :roll:

shiznit013
02-14-2006, 05:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVERAGE)</div><div class='quotemain'>mmkay... Guys is this a honda forum or what? Its really starting to sound like one. They are some hateful mofos...</div>

Just having some fun... I'm sure most of the people here know that. I say as long as there are no personal attacks, then everything is fair game!

...but I don't want to take this thread too far off topic... so... umm... brakes... brakes are good... they help my car... stop.

acitydweller
03-24-2006, 11:09 AM
functionally is there much of a difference between rear disc and drum brakes?

Most of the braking power is in the fronts.

DOHCstunr
03-24-2006, 11:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acitydweller)</div><div class='quotemain'>functionally is there much of a difference between rear disc and drum brakes?

Most of the braking power is in the fronts.</div>
drums have a lot of stopping power,
but due to their inability to shed heat after repeated stops. they heatsoak and begin to fade, leaving most all the responsibility to the front discs.

since braking is functionally taking momentum and converting it to heat in order to slow the car down. the brakes ability to shed heat is KEY.
discs(especially vented discs) will shed more heat allowing for more stopping power without fade. so you can actually stop from 80-0 sooner.
or even repeated 25-0 stops like in a nighborhood with a lot of speedbumps and stopsigns on a hot summer day.

the difference. IS quite significant.

acitydweller
03-30-2006, 01:23 PM

but due to their inability to shed heat after repeated stops. they heatsoak and begin to fade, leaving most all the responsibility to the front discs.

since braking is functionally taking momentum and converting it to heat in order to slow the car down. the brakes ability to shed heat is KEY.
discs(especially vented discs) will shed more heat allowing for more stopping power without fade. so you can actually stop from 80-0 sooner.
or even repeated 25-0 stops like in a nighborhood with a lot of speedbumps and stopsigns on a hot summer day.

Sounds good except that heat a byproduct of applying the brake pads to the rotors in an effort to show the momentum (forward rotational force of the rotors).

I am not so sure the conversion of foward movement to heat really slows the car down.

Either way, the G8 isnt exactly a track car either so extreme braking to the point of the brakes failing is probably not going to happen for my type of neighborly driving.

On a separate note, Is there going to be a write up or at least a parts list for this conversion or are these postings merely an fyi of what people have done with their cars?

DOHCstunr
03-30-2006, 01:35 PM

Sounds good except that heat a byproduct of applying the brake pads to the rotors in an effort to show the momentum (forward rotational force of the rotors).

I am not so sure the conversion of foward movement to heat really slows the car down.

Either way, the G8 isnt exactly a track car either so extreme braking to the point of the brakes failing is probably not going to happen for my type of neighborly driving.

On a separate note, Is there going to be a write up or at least a parts list for this conversion or are these postings merely an fyi of what people have done with their cars?

forward momentum is energy.
heat is energy

when you take the energy of forward momentum and convert it to heat( using the principles of friction)
you lose forward momentum.(energy can neither be created or destroyed, it can only change forms)
because there is less energy to propel the car forward. the more energy you take form the momentum, the more heat is produced, the more you slow down. but you can only produce and dissapate so much heat.
even disc brakes heatsoak/fade.
they just can dissapate much more heat than eclosed non ventilated drums.

don't think you will ever see the conditions that make the rear discs worthwhile?
try driving in traffic on a hot day.
yoru brakes begin to feel like total ass after a few miles of stop and go. this is cause they are hot.

and just one emergency stop, like a 60-0 or even a 55 to 0 stop you will get brake fade before you ever come to a stop.

what happens?
the brakes can't dissapate enough heat, the brake fluid that sorrounds the pistons starts to boil, and your lose pedal pressure and stopping power.

even cars with stock 4 wheel disc fade, especially when the pads start to wear.