PDA

View Full Version : Better performance tires

Auto-9
10-22-2002, 09:12 PM
Man I just bought brand new Eagle RS-As for my front tires and today they were woefully unprepared for wet driving. Everytime I stepped on the the pedal they spun out big time...I even spun when I floored it going 40ish mph. Guess my car just puts out too much for them to handle. I'm not planning on getting any new rims anytime soon, so I'm going to ask for suggestions on what good 205/55 tire that fits my factory 16 inch rims to get. Maybe Michelins will work better than Goodyear...these new tires stink.

pinoyesv6
10-22-2002, 09:16 PM
Goodyear=Boo Michelin=Woo Hoo

Check out the Pilot Sport A/S. They are a high peforamnce tire that not only does good in dry but does good in all weather conditions too. Kinda pricey though

Auto-9
10-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Yeah I figured if BMW uses Michelins they must be pretty nice...if the tires are too pricey though I'll just wait till these new ones wear out and get all 4 rims replaced along with new tires...great time to get 18s while I'm at it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

luxcrusr2000
10-22-2002, 10:07 PM
I recently replaced my stock Goodyears with Michelins. The Symmetry to be exact. Mine are only 15's but MAN I noticed the difference when I first drove on the Michelins. The Michelins are a MUCH better tire. I've put almost 9,000 miles on them in the past 4 months and haven't had any problems yet. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

TJC
10-22-2002, 10:21 PM
I believe any with the new silica compound in the rubber is best for wet, also any with the new wide directional grooves is better for excavating water out from under the tires. Perhaps the new Prada Spec-2's would be a nice choice for wet.

99GalantOn18s
10-22-2002, 10:33 PM
hes right... i have yokohama paradas on my galant... i have some 215/40-18's and they ride great... i have them bad boy wrapped on some tenzo-r poke 10s... i had the original paradas, but i had to get new fronts... before i went to texas to see my g/f (i live in georgia), i checked my tires and noticed my back tires which i rotated not too long ago were bald as hell... but i figured what the hell... i'll go anyway... i drove all together like some 2800 miles, there, back, and around texas... when i got back my tires were so worn that i could literally see the inside lining of the tire... it looks like white strings knitted together... and had a lil tiny hole that air was leakin thru... so i bought the parada spec-2s and put them in the front and the originals went to the back again... i love them... i think everyone should get yokohamas

Auto-9
10-22-2002, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll go to visit a few tire pros tomorrow and see what they can come up with too. I just find it odd that brand new tires can slip with the slightest amount of power being put through them. I can't fathom how the Eclipses can get a grip...I only put out 180 ft lb of torque with our slushboxes and I already slip.

jacuZZi
10-23-2002, 12:20 AM
How bout AZENIS From Falken, they're kinda nice looking. :wink:

TJC
10-23-2002, 12:23 AM
Oh, I almost forgot one very important factor that you can see right on the tire itself too. It's the wet traction rating. Highest rating would be "AA". I didn't know this until I was researching how to read the ratings on a tire at some tire site.

i.e. tire rated at 220 AA A
Of course most of us know that the "220" is the tire wear rating.
The first set of letter after the wear rating is the WET traction rating.
And the last letter is temperature rating.

Apparently there is NO rating for dry traction on tires, lol. So everyone shopping for wet weather tires, go "AA" rated tires. :wink:

Nick VR4
10-23-2002, 04:43 AM
i have yokohama AV 225/50/16 a great tyre wet or dry

Front and back have slightly different tread patterns
And these were rotated about 5 months ago during service
I get slightly more road noise now
But still a good tyre :thumbsup:

BGR
10-23-2002, 05:19 AM
Kumho Ecsta Supra 712
205/55ZR-16 91W B
Treadwear: 280
Traction: A
Temperature: A

http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/kumhv3.l.jpg

Probably the best for your money by far.

Auto-9
10-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Wow those are nice BGR...

BGR
10-23-2002, 01:33 PM
Have you considered going to 225/50-16?

I know what you're saying on the Eagles. The squeal every time you hit the gas and are slippery in the rain. My Yokohama's are really nice and grip the road good. I took the onramp to the freeway going about 50 or 60 (always someone trying to tailgate me, so I tried losing him) and the car had NO sway or tire squeal.

newsobe
10-23-2002, 06:20 PM
i hade brigestone turanza & pirreli p6000 zr & nitto 450 zr out of those three i liked the pirrli p6000 ! those are the only tires i had on the car.

GTZ
10-31-2002, 01:41 AM
Did anyone see Inside Drag Racing last night. There was a 6g that won in its class with a 10.9 sec run. He was from the Illinois area. That made my night. I'd sure like to know his set-up. I wanted to post this in the Off Topic Forum so eveyone could read it, but oh well.

GTZ
10-31-2002, 01:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>Somehow - Someway - We got to do something like this:

http://www.vfaq.com/ClubMerch/Tshirt/lombard-back-300.jpg

They actually had a permit and closed down the street; had a crane to take the picture, etc. Â*I would like to have 1 person with the camera waiting down below as the rest of us drive down the street and when the first person comes to the bottom, stop (with the rest of us behind on the hill), and have the person take the picture. Â*Swing back around, park them in the front of Lombard Street and snap another one with us lined up in front. Â*It's got to be fast, though.</div>

That would be cool.