PDA

View Full Version : 2004 galant de 4 cylinder mivec bad gas milage

04galantlexani12
02-11-2006, 02:34 PM
if u have this motor i was wondering average mpg on a tank im average only 200 miles on a single tank taking it in to get looked at and of u haveing the smae promblem

9G
02-11-2006, 03:18 PM
damn, i thought it was only me. you and me my friend. the best i can do in the city is 250 and thats not hitting 3k rpm when accelarating. plus, to me, it feels like its loosing power when i hit half tank. and whne i say power, its not pushing on it but when you press the gas, ussually it doesnt go to over drive but once it hits half tank, it always goes overdrive.

04galantlexani12
02-11-2006, 07:53 PM
SO IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WELL ITS GOING IN THE SHOP TUESDAY ILL LET U KNOW WHAT THEY SAY

5280nineG
02-13-2006, 02:30 PM
I haven't really paid attention but it does seem like I'm filling the tank quite often...I'll set the trip odometer when I fill up again.

Let us know what the shop says

04galantlexani12
02-15-2006, 06:41 PM
they said they didnt find any codes but since they put the computer on it it seems to have more pep in the motor and i dont have to floor it to more now ill let u know how the car is now since i dont have to floor it anymore and y it was in they did my 15000 mile check up

9G
02-17-2006, 11:45 AM
my latest computation. 60 miles for 4 gallons = 15mpg city. I guess it makes sence considering how much the car weigh and how much stop and go traffic is in our neighborhood + its cold outside. Its more of a highway car.

5280nineG
02-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I got an 2005 ES...got about 320 miles out of one tank, combo of city/highway driving.

Rising_Suns
02-28-2006, 09:09 PM
I have the LS, V6, and I get about 400 miles per tank (I mostly commute on the highway).

Anyway, I don't know if this is a factor here, but one thing to always keep in mind is that brand new cars always have horrible gas mileage, until they are broken in.

I'm assuming your cars have been broken in though, so that would only leave the possible conclusion that the 4 cyl engine was just a bad design for the weight of the car; it struggles too much to accelerate.

On my V6, it has so much power that I never need to push the gas pedal past half throttle. So of course I don't suck up nearly as much gas as wide-open-throttle does.

Interestingly enough, the '06 Pontiac GTO--a 400 horsepower V8--gets better gas milage than you, at ~25mpg highway.

-Davide

Tech_Greek
06-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I got 490 miles on my last tank of highway miles only, going from Shreveport, to Lake Charles, back to Baton Rouge, on the same tank.

That was also with a few 135MPH top end runs in the mixture...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rising_Suns)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the LS, V6, and I get about 400 miles per tank (I mostly commute on the highway).

Anyway, I don't know if this is a factor here, but one thing to always keep in mind is that brand new cars always have horrible gas mileage, until they are broken in. Â*

I'm assuming your cars have been broken in though, so that would only leave the possible conclusion that the 4 cyl engine was just a bad design for the weight of the car; it struggles too much to accelerate. Â*

On my V6, it has so much power that I never need to push the gas pedal past half throttle. So of course I don't suck up nearly as much gas as wide-open-throttle does.

Interestingly enough, the '06 Pontiac GTO--a 400 horsepower V8--gets better gas milage than you, at ~25mpg highway. Â*

-Davide</div>

ProdigalGalant
07-02-2006, 09:57 PM
I get 30mpg on average.
90% highway miles.
I think I could get 500 out of a tank if I wanted
to run it that low! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Tech_Greek
07-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Just did my recent buisness trip to covington...highway I got 29 MPG and then when I was driving around Covington I got around 23 MPG...not bad for a six.

galant_got_speed
07-05-2006, 02:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rising_Suns)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the LS, V6, and I get about 400 miles per tank (I mostly commute on the highway).

Anyway, I don't know if this is a factor here, but one thing to always keep in mind is that brand new cars always have horrible gas mileage, until they are broken in. Â*

I'm assuming your cars have been broken in though, so that would only leave the possible conclusion that the 4 cyl engine was just a bad design for the weight of the car; it struggles too much to accelerate.

Interestingly enough, the '06 Pontiac GTO--a 400 horsepower V8--gets better gas milage than you, at ~25mpg highway. Â*

-Davide</div>

am i the only one who thinks they should have turbocharged the 4 cylinders? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

manybrews
07-05-2006, 03:50 PM
am i the only one who thinks they should have turbocharged the 4 cylinders? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif
yep.

if you wanted fast, there was a BIG V6 you coulda bought.

galant_got_speed
07-05-2006, 03:53 PM
yep.

if you wanted fast, there was a BIG V6 you coulda bought.

well yah i know...but the 4 cylidner DOES seem underpowered on paper..i mean what is it like 160 horse? they should have had that engine in the 8g's...the 9g is a bit too heavy.

TimTheGreat
08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
well sounds like everyone has the same prob, thought I was the only one with gas problems with my g

gc86
09-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I think my gas mileage is kind of shitty.... I got 20mpg just recently city/highway but that's spirited driving. I think my highway mileage could be better...

9G
09-07-2006, 03:59 PM
yeah, its more of a highway car.

4-G-rim
09-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Have you guys with the bad MPG taken your 9g's to the dealer? I would...especially if I had a warranty. That seems pretty dayam low mpg...thats fuel guzzeling V8 status there.

Kilsom
09-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Mine gets fine MPG, I drive in Houston daily almost. Constant Stop n go. And on I-45 or beltway 8 the spurts of dead stop/SLOW moving traffic nvr seemed to mess with my MPG. of course I have the I4. :shrug:

9G
09-15-2006, 03:06 PM
mine actually got better after i switched to Shell. I used to get my gas at Sonoco but believe it or not, the car feels better with the shell gas in the car and im getting 300 miles in a tank in just city driving opposed to 200-250.

Kilsom
09-15-2006, 04:47 PM
mine actually got better after i switched to Shell. I used to get my gas at Sonoco but believe it or not, the car feels better with the shell gas in the car and im getting 300 miles in a tank in just city driving opposed to 200-250.

That's another thing, maybe yall are picking up some bad gas.... (don't take that out of context) If you can afford it, switch to premium for about a week and clear out a few tanks before attempting to switch back unscathed.

9G
09-15-2006, 05:36 PM
yeah. I switched a few months ago and noticed the increased gas mileage.

gc86
09-22-2006, 12:56 AM
yeah. I switched a few months ago and noticed the increased gas mileage.

x3, switched from Valero to Chevron, mileage increased and my engine does not ping as much (a known TSB for pinging is out)

dusthead
06-17-2007, 11:30 AM
am i the only one who thinks they should have turbocharged the 4 cylinders?

no you're not the only one...

dusthead
06-17-2007, 11:36 AM
i got a little over 400 miles out of one tank all highway, so thats just over 25mpg...not bad i'd say. i haven't ever noticed bad gas milage with mine - it's always been good to me, and everyone that has driven it has commented on the good milage.

i'd say go with shell, they do advertise that their gas cleans your engine...and from the posts above me it's most likely true that the better name brand gas you get the better your car will run. i had a mirage back in the day and my ex filled it up with hess for about 2 or 3 tanks in a row and said that she thought the car was going to straight die it had no acceleration. hess is cheap...and a well known brand...but obviously not good for all the time.