PDA

View Full Version : Painting Interior Pieces (I searched, seriously!)

brandon
10-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Hey guys,

I searched and then even browsed this whole forum but couldn't find the post I thought was here about painting your interior pieces... so I've started a new post.

I'm going to be trying this probably next weekend, but I have a few questions first...

1. What kind of paint did you use for your interior (I'm talking about the vents, dash pod, door trays, center console, trim around shifter, etc).
2. How many coats did you use? Did you clear coat it after?
3. Will it crack if I do it now? Temperatures here are in the 30s - 40s.

Any answers and/or tips would be more than appreciated.

Thanks as always!

pinoyesv6
10-23-2002, 11:11 AM
first of all, try a search in the 8g forum, there could be some insight there. well im for sure there is but there should be dozens of threads there

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>1. What kind of paint did you use for your interior (I'm talking about the vents, dash pod, door trays, center console, trim around shifter, etc).
</div>

on the plastic pieces you can use any kinda paint you desire. just make sure that the paint you use won't melt plastic or something like that

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>2. How many coats did you use? Did you clear coat it after? Â*
</div>

2 or 3 coats will be good. if you didn't use a primer maybe a layer more. uhm just paint it til u get a nice smooth layer, do a light sanding between layers. A clear coat is optional but help to protect your finish

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>3. Will it crack if I do it now? Temperatures here are in the 30s - 40s.
</div>

Im guessing your taking the temperature in Fahrenheit so my suggestion is to wait til it gets warmer or paint the pieces in a warmer area like a heated garage or a well ventilated basement. uhm chances are you are gonna be spraying the paint on and its a lil bit more difficult to sray when its near freezing temperatures. also its gonna take forever to cure

seth98esT
10-23-2002, 11:56 AM
well u do not have to sand them. i sanded the piece that went around the shift know, ended up breaking the actual piece and all the clips that hold it in.

Paint it with many layers. I only did a few layers and it came off in a few places. Also wait for all of your layers to dry before adding a new layer, i was impatient and rushed mine. And finally once everything is dry, use a good clear coat. Make sure you use the clear coat correctly and cover the whole pieces.

i am going to repaint mine sometime soon...probably the same color

brandon
10-23-2002, 12:23 PM
So as far as brand names for the paint, nothing in particular? Not a certain type of paint? (lacquer, etc.)

pinoyesv6
10-23-2002, 02:04 PM
most people just used normal spray paint. i've seen people use that interior faux finish paints you can get @ home depot. uhm regular car paint works good and so does Mirage, that color shifting paint by duplicolor

seth98esT
10-23-2002, 07:23 PM
umm any spray paint that will work on plastic will work fine...thats what i used

o0 XeRO G 0o
11-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Quick question to add on... I have the synthetic wood on the center console. Is it possible to paint over that? I'll probly have to use good primer or something right? Didnt mean to interrupt

jluv97
11-07-2002, 02:54 PM
DON'T PRIMER. Just sand then paint.

Tiptronic
11-07-2002, 03:06 PM
i used duplicolor truck&van paint. bought it at autozone. 2 or 3 light coats should be more than enough. i primed mine first. if you use primer, get the non-sanding kind, especially if you sand the pieces before hand. anyway, a standard clearcoat should work. no preference in brand, just make sure that you cover each piece well. you dont want to have it smooth in one spot, and matted in another. other than that. there is really nothing to painting the interior, except BE PATIENT, PAINT NEEDS TIME TO DRY.

pinoyesv6
11-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Quick question to add on... I have the synthetic wood on the center console. Is it possible to paint over that? I'll probly have to use good primer or something right? Didnt mean to interrupt

first of all you can paint it. uhm lightly sand it. if the wood grain material starts to peel off, try to peel it off if you can. you might need to get some filler to resmooth things off. then if you choose to go a dark color, you can go ahead and paint. fi you want a lighter color, you might wanna use a white primer to help the paint retain its tru color

Jesse
11-07-2002, 04:06 PM
Use duplicolor. I didn't sand or do any prep work other than soaking them in soapy water and letting them dry. Then did 3 coats of silver and they look great.

QnzMostWanted
11-08-2002, 08:55 AM
I used duplicolor paint, and just cleaned all the dust away and painted, 3 layers, 1 thick layer of clear coat, doesnt scratch

IllestGalant
11-19-2002, 09:47 PM
I popped off all and i mean all the trim panels, cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, gave them all about three coats of vinyl spray paint in smoke silver metallic and If I tell people i spent 500 bucks on a trim kit they believe me. the total cost at two cans of paint was 9.43

o0 XeRO G 0o
11-20-2002, 04:17 PM
could you some pics of your interior illestgalant?

jluv97
11-20-2002, 04:35 PM
I went from this:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/pcd494db740d5afdb1065fc748f7f5993/fd3b1f6c.jpg

To this:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/p41a6a17d2660289c057e1843f14e6033/fd3bd01d.jpg

o0 XeRO G 0o
11-20-2002, 04:40 PM
thats tight jluv... did u paint the door panels and steering wheel too? me likes

BEAST
12-26-2002, 11:41 PM
Just wondering should we use some kind of UV protectant or anything on the peices. Or is there such a thing. That way they don't fade.

jluv97
12-27-2002, 08:04 AM
With mine, once I got the 2nd coat on I put two coats of clear coat on. On the vinyl and leather I used dull coat, on the plastics I used gloss enamel.

krazienluv10
12-30-2002, 12:18 AM
wow ur car is looking nice jluv97 i was wondering how did you remove the vents, i was having a hard time and felt like it was about to snap into pieces???...

jluv97
12-30-2002, 08:18 AM
If they feel like they are going to break, then you are probably doing it right. Just work the entire piece instead of just prying on one spot. I typically start with the sides and then lift from the bottom.

2True
12-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Hey Josh, remind me again what you used to paint the fabric portions like on the doors and stuff. I wanna get rid of that grey when I get my new seats because the one's I'm getting don't come with door inserts like Katzskin does. Thanks

Wes

jluv97
12-30-2002, 04:44 PM
I pulled the fabric off, sanded away the glue, masked off the area, then painted it with Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint.

2True
12-30-2002, 08:12 PM
No fabric... awsome idea. Thanks bro :thumbsup: