PDA

View Full Version : Boosted SOHC?

Russian7G
02-26-2006, 02:38 PM
How much boost can SOHC safely handle on stock internals?
I have to travel a lot with my job and I'm thinking about boosting my G to get better has milage and more WHP.
My auto is still strong so I have no plans on replacing it with 5sp until it goes.
What WHP are we looking at with 14b on SOHC with stock internals and auto? What would be better for this setup, 2g SMIC, or FMIC?

seth98esT
02-26-2006, 02:40 PM
8-10psi stock. Probably 180-190whp on the auto crab box on a 14b.

peanotation
02-26-2006, 03:34 PM
your mileage isn't going to improve, it's just not going to change, as long as you don't have a heavy foot. as long as you stay out of boost, long distance driving is the same as when you were n/a. run no more than 8psi, good timing, good tuning, and your car will last as long as it intends to

DOHCstunr
02-26-2006, 04:44 PM
5 speed swap is going to be your best shot at mileage gains as well as performance.

seth98esT
02-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Yes 5spd swap first defnitely. I think someone here is selling a complete 5spd swap for the 7g.

bronxbombr
02-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Yes 5spd swap first defnitely. I think someone here is selling a complete 5spd swap for the 7g.

Cosigned.

Russian7G
02-26-2006, 05:38 PM
What injectors will I need with SOHC 14b?
Would I benefit from FMIC, or is SMIC enough for this setup?

seth98esT
02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Stock DSM 450cc injectors work good. You could go either way, FMIC will obviously cool better and make more power, but how much more I dont know.

DOHCstunr
02-26-2006, 07:44 PM
a side mount won't really get much airflow to it unless you have the 97-98 front bumper.

frontmounts are more expensive thats really the only notable difference.

but given that you are not going to have any control over timing retard/advance,
i would get the biggest front mount you can fit under that bumper.
because its the only thing thats going to keep you from metling pistons/ blowing your head gasket.
run a front mount with a water injection kit and you will be able to run a decent mount of boost safely.
i'd say 10psi.
injectors?
450's are the standard.
very easily obtained.
cheap and effeciant at those airflow/boost levels.

Galant98ES
03-14-2006, 12:46 AM
Didn't wanna open up a new thread so I'ma ask the question here:
What do you turbo guys use if you want to advance or retard the timing?

bronxbombr
03-14-2006, 01:04 AM
yO newb, NO THREAD JACKING. But why would you wanna advance the timing on the 7G?

peanotation
03-14-2006, 01:51 AM
yO newb, NO THREAD JACKING. But why would you wanna advance the timing on the 7G?

to get more power out of it n/a...and turbo too, but then the internals would have to be able to take it. i would think, for stress reduction, you should set it to fire a little bit on the downstroke?

bronxbombr
03-14-2006, 06:25 AM

to get more power out of it n/a...and turbo too, but then the internals would have to be able to take it. i would think, for stress reduction, you should set it to fire a little bit on the downstroke?

I knew that but wanna know why he wants to do that, if he isnt built up yet.

seth98esT
03-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Didn't wanna open up a new thread so I'ma ask the question here:
What do you turbo guys use if you want to advance or retard the timing?
Adjustable cam gear or some sort of engine management that controls timing.

Galant98ES
03-14-2006, 12:25 PM

THX for clarifying everyone that I'm a NEWB and for wasting time on posting useless stuff !
I posted my question in this thread because it's related and didn't wanna open another one.

The reason I'm asking is because I was talking to that guy from 4g64 group (http://4g64.150m.com/turbo.html) who wrote the tutorial on turbo install and he said he had some kind of timing control installed separately because he kept his stock ECU.

Seth & Peano - thx for helping out.