PDA

View Full Version : No compression NEED HELP!

Got Rice Galant
03-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Well I bought another 95 S 5spd. and it was running on two cylinders. 166K miles. So first thing i checked was spark (fine) then fuel (fine) then checked to see if all the timing marks were lined up right. All right on. I did a compression test and is as follows,
#1 185lbs
#2 0
#3 150lbs
#4 0
I do have two other 4G64 motors and one 4G63T. Just trying to figure out what the problem is with this one. Probably going to take the head off of it tomorrow. Kinda praying its only top end because I just had back sugery and its really hard to bend over and work on a car. If anyone can give me any guesses I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Pete

Shadow19
03-02-2006, 10:10 PM
If i had to guess. I would say either A. Headgasket is completely shot or B. Maybe the rings are bad but im no mechanic so i can only say what i would think.

peanotation
03-02-2006, 10:13 PM
taking a shot in the dark here, maybe blown rings? so bad that there's literally gap around the piston....

ChikagoGTZ
03-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Sounds bad...but this is easily fixed with either of the 3 motors you have at your disposal...I say go with the 63... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Shadow19
03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Possibly.. but man im telling you from personal experience.. galants are the hardest fuckin thing to diagnoss. you think u have one thing down packed and thats the problem but nooo... its not haha trust me ive replaced heads because the distributor was bad... So anything is possible with that car.. But i would lean towards the headgasket... or maybe the head is cracked on those 2 pistons.. BTW you say you have 2 4g64 motors.. Hmmmmmm want to sell the head off of one???

ChikagoGTZ
03-02-2006, 10:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shadow19)</div><div class='quotemain'>Possibly.. but man im telling you from personal experience.. galants are the hardest fuckin thing to diagnoss. you think u have one thing down packed and thats the problem but nooo... its not haha trust me ive replaced heads because the distributor was bad... So anything is possible with that car.. But i would lean towards the headgasket... or maybe the head is cracked on those 2 pistons.. BTW you say you have 2 4g64 motors.. Hmmmmmm want to sell the head off of one???</div>

So 2g eclipses are easier?

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Shadow19
03-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Hahaha... You know you can do the hybrid motor right??? Get on aim and lets talk for a min sn is Shuhadaddy1686...

Shadow19
03-02-2006, 10:27 PM
my bad about that dude... LOL its Shugadaddy1686

SuperGALANT
03-02-2006, 11:05 PM
shadow -- why did u replace the head if the dist was bad.. i dont get how you could get that wrong.. you have blown my mind.. that is CRAZY..

rice -- if u have an extra 64 and 63t i would turbo the 64 just for the extra displacement.. sounds like head gasket.. how did it happen? if it over heated the head gasket hands down but if it was eating oil real bad the rings but norm 2 sets of rings dont just go out at once..

Shadow19
03-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Dude... its the longest story on the planet earth.. Basically my hose came off of the head all the water leaked out and i put water in it. so i assumed that my head was bad because the car was hesitating like crazy... I bought a brand new distributor a week before the hose came off and would u consider the distributor had gone bad after buying a new one?? i assumed that i cracked the head.... But neways after i replaced the head it did the same shit so by luck without wasting anymore money i took the distributor back and got a new one... and it worked (i just have bad luck) i buy the car for 1400... then i wind up putting 1500 back into it..

SuperGALANT
03-02-2006, 11:20 PM
oh.. i got my g for free https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Shadow19
03-02-2006, 11:23 PM
I mean i cant really complain.. I bought mine for 1400 2 months ago had problems with it since day 1 and i every fuckin problem ive had with this car wound up to be the distributor i mean Mitsu couldnt even tell me whats wrong so shit what am i supposed to do?.. so i could have saved an ass of money if i just u know bought a distributor when i first got it and then took the one i bought back when i had problems the 2nd time around but o well.. i learned how to take the head off of my car pretty fuckin well since ive been like troubleshooting the bitch..

Got Rice Galant
03-03-2006, 12:50 AM
I just bought the car so i have no idea. I am doing a 4G63T swap into one of them. Probably this one. My black one is completely gutted so I wanted to do it to that one as the motor's also starting to get a little tired at around 130K miles.

Trying to keep my goals realistic so i'm going to do the 63 swap now and build my 64 bottom end for next year!

I just wanted to add that I really appreciate all the help!

Shadow 19, anything wrong with your head or do you just want an extra one? I'm probably pulling this head tomorrow so i'll let you know whats wrong with it. That is as long as my buddies show up to turn wrenches tomorrow.

Find me on AIM: ImTooFastFoYall
or come visit my Syracuse NY Street Racing Forum link in my sig.

DOHCstunr
03-03-2006, 07:25 AM
it seems like you would have to have a few valves stuck open or bent very badly to get compression that low.
iof you had bad piston rings, you'd still get between 80 and 12 in your dead cylinders.
head gasket i suspect the same.

how mny times did you do the test? did you add a teaspoon of oil to the dead cylinders to see if it changed? if it does change then its worn rings.
but i suspect you just have a fubar valvetrain.

yank that head and give her a looksy

Shadow19
03-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Na dude.. I want the 4g63 head.. but i think what im gonna do is port the stock head on my car because that seems to be the most cost effective way seeing that the DOHC head wont take the distributor from the SOHC and i just bought a brand new distributor so ill be wasting 300 bucks.. but shit let me know if you want to get rid of one of those heads and when i get a job i might buy it depending upon how much work the swap consists of.... Good luck man.

Got Rice Galant
03-08-2006, 06:48 AM
OK. I want you kiddies to go out to the parts store and buy some top engine cleaner! At the least buy some fuel injector/combustion cleaner.

I pulled the head off this thing and there's so much carbon buildup on this thing it burned a whole in two of the valves! This car is imacluate inside too. How can someone take such good care of their interior and not their engine? I pulled the 4G64 head off my other galant that i'm doing the 4G63 swap to and putting on this one to get it running like a champ again!