PDA

View Full Version : Glove box rattle fix

mrjaydeeone
03-11-2006, 07:56 AM
I purchased a new handle last year and that seemed to control the problem a little, a gap remained though when my glove box was closed. I saw someone on www.club3g.com that was experiencing the gap problem as well. What he did was bend the latch on the inside of the glove box up. I attempted this last night. And that solved the rattle and the gap.
EDITwhen attempting this fix, don't bend the latch too much, just enough to solve your issue, even if it means trial and error, bending a little, and then closing the glove box, and bending more if needed

disclaimer: TGC nor I am responsible if anything goes wrong while attempting this fix

lonestar22
03-11-2006, 08:53 AM
sweet!! im going to go try that right now

Kalamidad
03-11-2006, 09:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'>I purcahsed a new handle last year and that seemed to control the problem a little, a gap remained though when my glove box was closed. Â*I saw someone on www.club3g.com that was experiencing the gap problem as well. Â*What he did was bend the latch on the inside of the glove box up. Â*I attempted this last night. Â*And that solved the rattle and the gap</div>

pics???

mrjaydeeone
03-11-2006, 10:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'>I purcahsed a new handle last year and that seemed to control the problem a little, a gap remained though when my glove box was closed. Â*I saw someone on www.club3g.com that was experiencing the gap problem as well. Â*What he did was bend the latch on the inside of the glove box up. Â*I attempted this last night. Â*And that solved the rattle and the gap</div>

pics???</div>

Sure I could snap a couple as soon as I get a chance

neel9
03-11-2006, 03:50 PM
i have this problem and irtates the shit out of me.. yea pics wit some info one how to do it would be cool

Serstylz2
03-11-2006, 04:02 PM
apparently u cant bend it too much, i bent mine and u cant shut the glovebox without pullin the handle first that way.. if its supposed to do that then i'll bend it more cuz i still had a gap

mrjaydeeone
03-11-2006, 04:20 PM
apparently u cant bend it too much, i bent mine and u cant shut the glovebox without pullin the handle first that way.. if its supposed to do that then i'll bend it more cuz i still had a gap

hmmm mine closes just fine and the gap is all gone.

g-ridda
03-11-2006, 04:29 PM
mrjaydeeone

did u bend it up or down?

mrjaydeeone
03-11-2006, 04:58 PM
mrjaydeeone

did u bend it up or down?

bent it up,

Serstylz2
03-11-2006, 05:36 PM
did u bend the front part of the U latch up, or the WHOLE U latch? When I bent the front of the U latch it worked until i went too far, havent tried doin the whole latch tho

GreyGoose01
03-12-2006, 01:19 PM
ok cause my mother's G does it TERRIBLY....mine hasn't started yet, but by bend it up do you mean away from you or towards you?

g-ridda
03-12-2006, 03:38 PM
bend it towards the sealing.

i tied it last night and it worked great

what i did was tak a screw driver and put it inside the U with the tip on the upper side of the U and the middle of the screw drive is touching the bottom of the bar that glove box actually hooks on to and pull the screwdriver up towards the sealing. move it up little by little till u can close the box at all then switch the screwdriver around to were the head is is touching the bottom side of the u bar and the middle is on top of the part that the glove latches on and slightly keep movin it down and keep trying to close the glove box after every time u try to mve it down till it latchestakes maybe 3 minutes

snowman
03-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Yeh that definitly works... ive done this long time ago i thought everyone knew about it......

GUTTAZMITZ
04-02-2006, 10:21 PM
dang and all this time i Thought my G was raggity

4-G-rim
04-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Oh thank god there is a fix...my g/f was getting sick of the rattling noise.

GreyGoose01
04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
dang and all this time i Thought my G was raggity

my sentiments exactly

lonestar22
04-08-2006, 09:18 AM
i did this but now my lock doesnt work. it just spins around. uh oh!

pvu_rida
04-08-2006, 01:32 PM

uh-oh better get maaco https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

TITAN
04-10-2006, 04:18 PM
I have no rattle. Maybe I am a lucky one? yyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

glantv699
04-10-2006, 04:23 PM
my glovebox used to rattle slightly, then it just stopped. Now the front corners of my dash shake themselves stupid...no idea why

Calipso
05-02-2006, 12:12 PM

Bump an old post.

I had the same problem with my lock, but when I spun it around 5-8 times in the lock assembly it went back to normal. It takes a few times before it'll stay in.

Tech_Greek
05-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Maybe the housing of the glove box is fubared like the 9g, you have to undo the bolts on ours, push it upwards, and rebolt them in...loctite + washers seem to be the fix I'm going to try.

lonestar22
05-02-2006, 10:31 PM
now since my car vibrates my lock makes this loud vibrating sound

Calipso
05-02-2006, 11:23 PM
now since my car vibrates my lock makes this loud vibrating sound

The vibrating is much lighter if you remove the metal plate in the glovebox. (The one that is the back of the glovebox.)

g-ridda
07-02-2006, 03:27 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TITAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have no rattle. Maybe I am a lucky one? yyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!</div>

bring a old post back for a sec.

i was wondering do the 02ers and up 8gs have this problem at all?

The F.B.I
07-02-2006, 04:33 AM
i did!!! but i fixed it

g-ridda
07-02-2006, 12:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The F.B.I)</div><div class='quotemain'>i did!!! but i fixed it</div>

wut yea do u have

any other 02s and up have the problem?

The F.B.I
07-02-2006, 03:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g-ridda)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The F.B.I)</div><div class='quotemain'>i did!!! but i fixed it</div>

wut yea do u have

any other 02s and up have the problem?</div>
i have an 02 8)

Gladiator
07-28-2006, 04:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Calipso)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonestar22)</div><div class='quotemain'>now since my car vibrates my lock makes this loud vibrating sound</div>

The vibrating is much lighter if you remove the metal plate in the glovebox. (The one that is the back of the glovebox.)</div>

where is the metal plate located? I wana take that piece out
http://home.earthlink.net/~shadowgerm/sale/filter.jpg

Calipso
10-05-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm a little late to reply to this, but the metal plate is in the actual glovebox it's self. Take the glovebox door out and notice all the screws? Unscrew them all and you'll see this nice big useless piece of metal.

The only thing people on TGC could think of, that it was put in incase of a fire in the engine bay.

03galantnga
10-05-2006, 09:26 PM
I have an 03 , mine vibrates rarely, I haven't had to do the fix yet. However, I only have 56,000 miles so far and I rarely use the glove box . I figure the less it opens and closes the longer it will go before it starts vibrating all the time.