PDA

View Full Version : Better horsepower

mitsuree8thgen
03-14-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm stuck making a decision on a performance upgrade. I was wondering if i should do turbo or if i should get a adjustable cam gear. Of course the turbo kit is going to offer the most horse power, but i'm going to kill my gas mileage with a heavy foot. I was also thinkin about adding a small nitrous setup to help with the cam gear. That way i have more horsepower with the cam and a limited amount of extra horses with the spray. OH! I forgot to mention one of my buddies bought a sneeky pete nitrous system and just put a bigger tank on it. He basically got a stage 1 nitro system for about $200 cheaper. How well it does? I can't answer that yet. But anyway, any suggestions?

Donovan
03-14-2006, 12:54 PM
if you want to be stuck with running out of nitrous when you need it then get nos...but if you want power at the foot all the time then get a turbo/sds setup..

Yes the nitrous is cheaper at first but once you've seen how many time you've filled your tanks you'll be like well damn I could have just bought a turbo or sds system and been with the same amount of money output...

and the cam is just another small item..

mitsuree8thgen
03-14-2006, 01:03 PM
By the way which brand has a fairly better cam gear. I was looking at the AEM Tru-Time, is it pretty good?

seth98esT
03-14-2006, 01:07 PM
A cam gear is a cam gear is a cam gear. If one of those companys make one that has 5 locking screws vs 3, I would get the one with 5 locking screws for more of a safety precaution.

I have hte AEM true time gears on my 4g63t. They only have 3 locking screws, but have had the torqued to what they should be and they havent slipped. I wouldnt mind getting a set of Fidanza gears, they look hot and have 5 locking screws.

peanotation
03-14-2006, 01:16 PM
if you want to be stuck with running out of nitrous when you need it then get nos...but if you want power at the foot all the time then get a turbo/sds setup..

Yes the nitrous is cheaper at first but once you've seen how many time you've filled your tanks you'll be like well damn I could have just bought a turbo or sds system and been with the same amount of money output...

and the cam is just another small item..

nitrous $600 + ten refills at $40 per refill = $1000 invested
turbo = $1500 at least

the best way to not run out of nitrous is to refill it when you're getting low, no one runs their bottle down to 0lbs, anything under 2-3lbs wont even yield meaningfull results

but comparing a cam upgrade against a turbo kit...thats like compairing a boob job to rebirth

mitsuree8thgen
03-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Actually, i meant cam + nitrous vs. turbo. Well for right now i'll just get the gear and advance my timing a little.

peanotation
03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Actually, i meant cam + nitrous vs. turbo. Well for right now i'll just get the gear and advance my timing a little.

my bad. you can have a pretty promising nitrous setup for a lot cheaper than a turbo buildup, but to be honest to the thread title, the "better" hp is the safer which would be the turbo.

mitsuree8thgen
03-14-2006, 01:39 PM
thanx!