PDA

View Full Version : Painting side mirror

Serstylz2
03-15-2006, 11:28 AM
I received a new pass. mirror, but I need to paint it black. Its in near perfect condition; what grits sand paper should I use to rough it up? And does anyone recommend wetsanding or any other methods? I guess I am kinda new when it comes to repainting over a perfect surface, usually I'm painting on something that needs some sort of repair, thanks

TITAN
03-15-2006, 12:09 PM
I received a new pass. mirror, but I need to paint it black. Its in near perfect condition; what grits sand paper should I use to rough it up? And does anyone recommend wetsanding or any other methods? I guess I am kinda new when it comes to repainting over a perfect surface, usually I'm painting on something that needs some sort of repair, thanks

In your case, since the item to be painted is plastic and you are an amature, I personally wouldn't recommend anything less than 600 grit. I'd actually try 1000 grit 1st just to be safe. As you said, it is a perfect suface and all you need to do slightly scuff it up

Wet sanding is primarily done after the first coat of paint has been applied. it is done to remove the orange peel. as you move higher in grit count, you'll want to make sure to rinse off the mirror completely and thoroughly to avoid contaminating the finer grit with the previous coarser grit. Be sure to remove any remaining debris right after wet sanding because it's hard to remove after it dries. Rinse water should sheet evenly, without beading or fisheyeing. If rinse water beads up, wet sand again until the beading is eliminated.

good luck E-thug. :wink:

Serstylz2
03-15-2006, 01:01 PM
haha thanks for the advice lil doo doo. Now I jus gotta hope these dam hurricane-style winds die down :evil: