PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt

Cheekz185
03-17-2006, 12:37 PM
My sister got a '99 G and she got her timing belt replaced about 2 months ago. After she got it replaced, the mechanic which is a very good family friend of our said that every lined up perfectly and everything went perfect. But now when the car gets upsto 4k RPM's there is a tremendous vibration that you feel in the pedal...What could be causing this vibration. If you are driving under 4k RPM everything is fine but as soon as you hit 4k or go over the pedal just vibrates like a mother! BUT The rest of the car doesnt shake just the driver can feel it....

bronxbombr
03-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Balance shaft belt probably isnt set right.

manybrews
03-18-2006, 07:43 AM
My sister got a '99 G and she got her timing belt replaced about 2 months ago. After she got it replaced, the mechanic which is a very good family friend of our said that every lined up perfectly and everything went perfect. But now when the car gets upsto 4k RPM's there is a tremendous vibration that you feel in the pedal...What could be causing this vibration. If you are driving under 4k RPM everything is fine but as soon as you hit 4k or go over the pedal just vibrates like a mother! BUT The rest of the car doesnt shake just the driver can feel it....
yep..
this "good" mechanic is not good. he has lined up a balance shaft incorrectly. most likely the one driven off the oil pump, as its on a 2 to 1 reduction. mearly lining up the timing marks is incorrect.

Basically, like most people, in trying to save a buck with an independant hack, this has caused problems. Take it to someone that knows mitsus.

seth98esT
03-18-2006, 08:14 AM
I dont see how all these "mechanics" are screwing up all these timing belts. Its NOT THAT HARD. Just follow the service manual. And Im sure these shops have some sort of computer software like AllData too.

Cheekz185
03-18-2006, 08:50 AM
yep..this "good" mechanic is not good. he has lined up a balance shaft incorrectly. most likely the one driven off the oil pump, as its on a 2 to 1 reduction. mearly lining up the timing marks is incorrect.

Basically, like most people, in trying to save a buck with an independant hack, this has caused problems. Take it to someone that knows mitsus.

In order to fix it, he has to take everything apart again?

seth98esT
03-18-2006, 09:07 AM
yep..this "good" mechanic is not good. he has lined up a balance shaft incorrectly. most likely the one driven off the oil pump, as its on a 2 to 1 reduction. mearly lining up the timing marks is incorrect.

In order to fix it, he has to take everything apart again?
Correct.

manybrews
03-18-2006, 09:29 AM
I dont see how all these "mechanics" are screwing up all these timing belts. Its NOT THAT HARD. Just follow the service manual. And Im sure these shops have some sort of computer software like AllData too.
they dont read them under the assumption they know what theyre doing.
the most common issue is what happened here, no doubt. They dont realize that the oil pump/balance shaft is on a 2 to 1 reduction, and just line up the marks. So instead of eliminating vibration, they amplifiy it.
Seriously, ive been "repairing" timing belts that have been incorrectly installed by "independant" shops at the rate of at LEAST one a month for 14 years, sometimes as many as 5 a month.

Cheekz185
03-18-2006, 09:59 AM
the most common issue is what happened here, no doubt. They dont realize that the oil pump/balance shaft is on a 2 to 1 reduction, and just line up the marks. So instead of eliminating vibration, they amplifiy it.
Seriously, ive been "repairing" timing belts that have been incorrectly installed by "independant" shops at the rate of at LEAST one a month for 14 years, sometimes as many as 5 a month.

So what should he to to fix it? He shouldnt just line up the marks?

manybrews
03-18-2006, 10:14 AM

he should read. Frankly, if he doesnt have the information to be fixing these cars, he should NOT be touching it.
take it to someone that knows what theyre doing and get your money back from the original "mechanic".

seth98esT
03-18-2006, 10:15 AM

he should read. Frankly, if he doesnt have the information to be fixing these cars, he should NOT be touching it.
take it to someone that knows what theyre doing and get your money back from the original "mechanic".
I agree.

SROL
03-18-2006, 11:59 AM
I did my timing belt myself and haven't had that problem. All I did was line up the marks, too. Do these symptoms surface after a certain period of time or did I somehow manage to correctly reinstall everything?

seth98esT
03-18-2006, 12:08 PM
The 6g72 v6 does not have balance shafts, only the i4. And its something that is either set correctly or not. If the balance shaft is out of phase, you will see vibrations, usually across the board.

SROL
03-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Ahhh ok. Forgot to include the engine difference in my question. Thanks for clearing that up. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif