View Full Version : timing belt sqeaks?

elieleb1303
03-19-2006, 09:33 PM
i took my car to a car wash today, just to get all the salt off...
and as im pulling out..my car started to choke..most likely cuz the CAI sucked up some water. it has done this on different occassions, but not bad enough to mess up my engine. but after i got all the water to pass...i started hearing a high pitched squeak. i got to my girls house and popped the hood and is seems to be coming from my timing belt..or sumwhere around that area...
any ideas?

galant_got_speed
03-19-2006, 10:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elieleb1303)</div><div class='quotemain'>i took my car to a car wash today, just to get all the salt off...
and as im pulling out..my car started to choke..most likely cuz the CAI sucked up some water. it has done this on different occassions, but not bad enough to mess up my engine. but after i got all the water to pass...i started hearing a high pitched squeak. i got to my girls house and popped the hood and is seems to be coming from my timing belt..or sumwhere around that area...
any ideas?</div>

dude...if i were u i wouldnt be taking my car through car washes, wash the car yourself...especially with a CAI...all that water from those car washes are pouring on your hood thru the cracks and into the engine bay...a safe bet something will fuck up somewhere down the line...this is why i always wash my car myself...

but as for the timing belt...just give it some time to dry or something..maybe it was just water making it squeak? give us an update tomorrow..

elieleb1303
03-19-2006, 10:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elieleb1303)</div><div class='quotemain'>i took my car to a car wash today, just to get all the salt off...
any ideas?</div>

dude...if i were u i wouldnt be taking my car through car washes, wash the car yourself...especially with a CAI...all that water from those car washes are pouring on your hood thru the cracks and into the engine bay...a safe bet something will fuck up somewhere down the line...this is why i always wash my car myself...

but as for the timing belt...just give it some time to dry or something..maybe it was just water making it squeak? give us an update tomorrow..</div>

ill def keep u updated. i usually do wash it myself, but its cold in cleveland and i hate keeping the salt on the paint, so every now n then ill take it to a car wash. but thanks for the input, ill let u know..

galant_got_speed
03-19-2006, 10:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elieleb1303)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elieleb1303)</div><div class='quotemain'>i took my car to a car wash today, just to get all the salt off...
any ideas?</div>

but as for the timing belt...just give it some time to dry or something..maybe it was just water making it squeak? give us an update tomorrow..</div>

ill def keep u updated. i usually do wash it myself, but its cold in cleveland and i hate keeping the salt on the paint, so every now n then ill take it to a car wash. but thanks for the input, ill let u know..</div>

yah man i just never trust those car washes..can never tell wtf is going on outside of ur car...i love going outside in my t-shirt in the 20 degree weather here in southern New Hampshire and washing the car...its hard sometimes because the hose freezes and i have to fill a bucket from the kitchen sink hahaha

seth98esT
03-19-2006, 10:36 PM
I doubt its your timing belt. Probably just your alt or power steering belts. No biggie.

bronxbombr
03-19-2006, 11:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>I doubt its your timing belt. Â*Probably just your alt or power steering belts. Â*No biggie.</div>

ya, alt is the culprit.

RedGalant2k1
03-20-2006, 11:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elieleb1303)</div><div class='quotemain'>i took my car to a car wash today, just to get all the salt off...
any ideas?</div>

Going through a car wash (at idle no less) will never suck water through the filter into the engine. If anything it would damage your electronics first NOT your filter or engine. I had a AEM CAI on my 8G and I live in Michigan and would regularly go through the local drivethru carwashs, I never had a problem.

elieleb1303,

Replace your timing belt, it sounds to me like its worn and stretched out and you are hearing it rub against the cover.

milo111000
03-21-2006, 12:16 AM
yeah probly just ur atls and pwer sterrng and comp making those noise.

elieleb1303
03-21-2006, 01:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elieleb1303)</div><div class='quotemain'>i took my car to a car wash today, just to get all the salt off...
any ideas?</div>

Going through a car wash (at idle no less) will never suck water through the filter into the engine. If anything it would damage your electronics first NOT your filter or engine. I had a AEM CAI on my 8G and I live in Michigan and would regularly go through the local drivethru carwashs, I never had a problem.

elieleb1303,

Replace your timing belt, it sounds to me like its worn and stretched out and you are hearing it rub against the cover.</div>

i do go through it at idle...i def dont rev the engine at all during the car wash. as far as my timing belt needing to be replaced...im at 68,xxx miles, i had it replaced at 63,xxx.

acitydweller
03-24-2006, 10:51 AM
just because the car is still turning doesnt mean the water isnt causing damage. any bit of water sucked up by the CAI will cause damage.

FRCFD6
03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
maybe a pig sneaked into your engine bay ?

Prophet3976
04-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I know this is sort of off topic, but what is a CAI? and why is it so bad if water gets in it??

RedGalant2k1
04-02-2006, 01:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prophet3976)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know this is sort of off topic, but what is a CAI? and why is it so bad if water gets in it??</div>

CAI = Cold Air Intake.

The engine is able to run more effectively with cooler air. The drawback with this type of intake can be easier to draw water into the intake system. The water could (if sucked in the engine) get trapped on top of the piston not allowing proper cylinder operation or combustion to happen in the motor causing possible engine damage, or destroying the motor all together.

I had a CAI on my Galant and I never had any issues. Even once there was a MAJOR rainstorm, so bad I had to park the car you couldn't see 10 feet in front on you. The roadway was flooded and I could tell the intake sucked in some water, the motor chugged a little, but it ran smooth and never was an issue. Nearly the entire filter would have to be submerged to become an issue of water damage to the motor.

bronxbombr
04-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Ya hydrolock is no joke. i have 2 adapters so when it rains i just remove one and put in the short ram.