PDA

View Full Version : New Engine Still Burning Oil...HELP!!!

evil-G-nius
03-20-2006, 10:40 AM
So I have just about 4000 miles on the new engine. I just got an oil change Thursday and then I drove up to my parents house in Santa Rosa (about 540 miles one way). My car was fine, but on the way home when I stopped for gas, maybe a litlle over half way back, I needed 4 quarts of oil!!! :shock: WTF!? I was only doing about 85 steady the whole way. So my question is why is it burning so much and what can I do to combat it!? Could it be because of the increased oil pressure due to the fact that I no longer have a balance shaft? (I doubt it but...) any I deas? Oh I have been using synthetic 15-50 btw. Should I just go thicker?

Proto
03-20-2006, 10:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>So I have just about 4000 miles on the new engine. I just got an oil change Thursday and then I drove up to my parents house in Santa Rosa (about 540 miles one way). My car was fine, but on the way home when I stopped for gas, maybe a litlle over half way back, I needed 4 quarts of oil!!! :shock: WTF!? I was only doing about 85 steady the whole way. So my question is why is it burning so much and what can I do to combat it!? Could it be because of the increased oil pressure due to the fact that I no longer have a balance shaft? (I doubt it but...) any I deas? Oh I have been using synthetic 15-50 btw. Should I just go thicker?</div>

15-50? what the fuck. use or 5w30 10w30 on full synthetic

evil-G-nius
03-20-2006, 10:47 AM
so I assume by your reaction my oil is too thin

galant_got_speed
03-20-2006, 11:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>so I assume by your reaction my oil is too thin</div>

yah buddy that is REALLY thin...who told you to use that? where have you EVER seen someone use that in their car... always use synthetic 5 or 10w, dont dick around man it can cause some serious problems someday...lol

SuperGALANT
03-20-2006, 11:27 AM
synthetic will burn faster. i use castrol 10w30 high millage.. try that.. if u were4 qts low then ur oil light should have been on.. make sure its connected.. and was there no audible sounds when it was that low?
id start w/ a catch can and go from there..

seth98esT
03-20-2006, 11:44 AM
4quarts wow, your oilpan only holds about 4.5quarts. Id think you would have a leak and not burning oil. Put a peice of cardboard on the ground under your motor and let it sit overnight and see if you have any oil on the ground in the morning.

Burning that much oil, I would only assume you would have a lot of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust.

DOHCstunr
03-20-2006, 11:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>4quarts wow, your oilpan only holds about 4.5quarts. Â*Id think you would have a leak and not burning oil. Â*Put a peice of cardboard on the ground under your motor and let it sit overnight and see if you have any oil on the ground in the morning.

Burning that much oil, I would only assume you would have a lot of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust.</div>

A WHOLE LOT of smoke

your engine needs to be machined for the oil clearances associated with different oils.
if you built a new motor, you would need looser clearances to run that thick thick 15w50.
stock clearances call for stock oil reccomendation.

use 10w30.

your balance shafts have nothing to do with it. unless you have a bad leak cause the gasket wasn't installed properly.

bronxbombr
03-20-2006, 03:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>So I have just about 4000 miles on the new engine. I just got an oil change Thursday and then I drove up to my parents house in Santa Rosa (about 540 miles one way). My car was fine, but on the way home when I stopped for gas, maybe a litlle over half way back, I needed 4 quarts of oil!!! :shock: WTF!? I was only doing about 85 steady the whole way. So my question is why is it burning so much and what can I do to combat it!? Could it be because of the increased oil pressure due to the fact that I no longer have a balance shaft? (I doubt it but...) any I deas? Oh I have been using synthetic 15-50 btw. Should I just go thicker?</div>

15-50? what the fuck. use or 5w30 10w30 on full synthetic</div>

Goddamn, you might as well throw some cooking oil in that shit then.

evil-G-nius
03-20-2006, 04:22 PM
I am using full synthetic. But I think I switched from regular motor oil to syn too soo. I ran conventional for a little over 2000 miles. I am thinking maybe the seals were not completly set yet. I dont have any smoke, but I do have an excess of black soot on the bumper and rear tails. When I noticed it was low was when I was getting gas on the way home from up north. I pulled into the gas station and I heard massive lifter tick. I knew it shouldnt be cuz it is a new engine and all. I dont think it was 4 quarts low...but the dipstick didnt show anything on it. My light does work, but it ususally comes on when it is low and I am on an incline so...