PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Blubs

Da_silvagride
03-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey guys I wanted to know what brand of blubs you guys have in your 8g. I recently just blew a PIAA Super Plasma GTX (H4) blub on my driver side and I am looking for some good alternatives. I know the PIAAs are one of the best out there, but I am getting something for the mean time( cheaper) till I can get those again. I not to fond of Silverstars (they are to close to OEM, they also fade).
I am leaning towards some Nokya Artic White right now or the Artic Purple. My question is has anyone tried: RAYBRIG, POLARG, LUMINICS, OPTIPLUX, Or HILITE Blubs. I want reviews on any of these if you have experience them. I am looking for color and light, so blubs with the range of 5000k-8000k.

racesnos
03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I use McCulloch HID Bulbs and i got them from a guy i know for about $280 and they are 6000K. i researched a little more and found the same kit for about $340-$350 so i got some money off. i dont know if this is what your looking for but if your interested i got the guys number.

Da_silvagride
03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
I am not ready for the HID just yet, lol. I need something to get me by thats all.

Serstylz2
03-20-2006, 06:22 PM
I had Nokya turn signals, real crisp.. a lil too blue for me tho now that my flavor has changed

G-spot
03-20-2006, 06:59 PM
I had Raybrig on before and it looks similar to Euro Design's lite ($90 vs. $20, you decide). Razo blue is also good choice ($65), but all in all, Euro Design, Nokya, or ghetto blue bulbs will get lite your budget any day.

solofantasy
03-20-2006, 08:54 PM
but doesnt the High Temp bulb (5k-8k) melt your harness ? :?:

pinoyesv6
03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
the color of the light output had nothing to do with melting your harness. its the wattage of the bulb that you look at to see if you'll fry your harness.

RedGalant2k1
03-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Nokya Arctic Purples, best bulbs I ever used.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/564000-564999/564423_21_full.jpg

styles430
03-21-2006, 10:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racesnos)</div><div class='quotemain'>I use McCulloch HID Bulbs and i got them from a guy i know for about $280 and they are 6000K. Â*i researched a little more and found the same kit for about $340-$350 so i got some money off. i dont know if this is what your looking for but if your interested i got the guys number.</div>

I've got the McCulloch 8000K HID Kit. Do you have any pictures of yours? I was thinking of eventually selling the 8000K and going with something like 4300K or 6000K

Do not buy PIAAs. Waste of money. Cost too much, and have a shitty lifespan -- one of the worst I've ever experienced.

solofantasy
03-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Noyka Artic series... is it safe? how is the lifespan on that...

DO I NEED SPECIAL HARNESS TO HANDLE NOYKA? :?:

illrik
03-21-2006, 12:28 PM
yea piaa's are weak, picked up a set of piaa spark blue 7500k, great lighting, but they blew within 6 months, now i'm getting projectors

kaimontec2003
03-21-2006, 01:35 PM
i Use sylvania silver stars in my projectors , they have lasted a long time , and they look really nice with the projectors, and they are bright , usually when you use the " blue" bulbs you loose a lot of light , i have used tons of bulbs , these are some of the brightest i have tried, and they are safe for your harness,

racesnos
03-21-2006, 01:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(styles430)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racesnos)</div><div class='quotemain'>I use McCulloch HID Bulbs and i got them from a guy i know for about $280 and they are 6000K. Â*i researched a little more and found the same kit for about $340-$350 so i got some money off. i dont know if this is what your looking for but if your interested i got the guys number.</div>

I've got the McCulloch 8000K HID Kit. Do you have any pictures of yours? I was thinking of eventually selling the 8000K and going with something like 4300K or 6000K</div>

Yeah i got some photos of them i am very pleased with them. they have a glare shield on them, so i heard that was to keep them from shining upward but i dont know if thats the truth of not. again i will post some pictures soon.

pinoyesv6
03-21-2006, 02:01 PM
im using silverstars. i got the pari when they first came out. one blew out like a few months ago but the other is still going strong

racesnos
03-21-2006, 02:13 PM
i tried to find SilverStars before i went HID but i never could. where did u get yours from? before i went HID, i had HALO HyperWhites. i have a side by side comparison photo also, so ill try and get those up within the next 2 hours or so. Why is there a glare shield on the H4 HID's? does anyone know?

pinoyesv6
03-21-2006, 02:17 PM
i found them at the local auto parts store. most of them should have them. i haven't been to one that didn't shoot, even walmart has them i believe

racesnos
03-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Okay, now i did it! HAHA I finally put on a picture of my HID's these are 6000k McCulloch HID. so this is a front picture of them, i would get a picture of how bright they shine into the night, but i live in a really lit up area so ill have to drive a ways to get a good picture.

UAL Tripple 7
03-21-2006, 05:21 PM
And here is how a 6000k McCulloch HID looks next to a Silverstar. I switched from my HID to Silverstars after I blew an HID bulb. The Silverstars are way too dim after getting use to HIDs. I would say if you don't plan on going the HID route, then the Silverstars would be a safe bet.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e267/ReganH22/lights.jpg

Da_silvagride
03-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Those HIDs are real nice. I finally made my decision and I am going with the Nokya Artic white and some PIAA Xtreme White 1156 for the Reverse light. I am really going to miss my PIAAs I have now. They had a purplish tint with hint of blue when High beams are on. During the day they got me stares. Thanks guys for all your posts!

RedGalant2k1
03-21-2006, 05:49 PM
For the record the Silverstars IMHO are overpriced and not the best quality. The Nokya (SPC) brand of bulbs was best in my experience.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(solofantasy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Noyka Artic series... is it safe? how is the lifespan on that... Â*

DO I NEED SPECIAL HARNESS TO HANDLE NOYKA? :?:</div>

I had them in my 8G for over 6 months, would have lasted longed but I wrecked the car.

solofantasy
03-21-2006, 07:09 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2267000-2267999/2267936_17_full.jpg

here is a pic of Silverstar headlight and Regular fog light

solofantasy
03-21-2006, 07:16 PM
however, i seen some Silverstars that are really bright like this WHITE!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/785000-785999/785609_20_full.jpg

racesnos
03-22-2006, 03:13 PM
so are you saying that silverstars are a better investment then HID? cause i have a warranty on mine, but i mean if the warranty doesnt cover whatever happened to them, should i just get them or are there other bulbs that are better than Silverstars?

pinoyesv6
03-22-2006, 03:43 PM
when used correctly, hid's are better than the silverstars.

two big downsides to hid's. price. and well aftermarket hid's are illegal where as silverstars are legal.

racesnos
03-22-2006, 04:36 PM
yeah i can agree with the fact that they are both better and illegal haha, but i thought that as long as they aren't like blue or anything, then its okay... hmm i c. well nevertheless good info to know.

UAL Tripple 7
03-22-2006, 04:58 PM
I would take my HID over silverstars any day, but If I did not have HIDs I would go with the Silverstars. I think you will like them if you try them.They give off a nice white light that looks pretty nice.

racesnos
03-22-2006, 09:44 PM
i bet they are really nice,and yeah i agree with having HID's also. the best part about having my HID's is that i've been in parking lots and people with other Galants have asked me if i bought my Galant with that option. haha. i have the urge to lie and say yeah, but i tell them the truth. but how much do the H4 silverstars run?

NiTrOuSoXiDe
03-22-2006, 11:12 PM
All Silverstar bulbs go for anywhere from $25-$40. They're expensive, but bright. Not the whitest bulbs around, but they are definately some of the brightest. They are good bulbs to use if you have colored lenses. For example, some 'hyper white' fog lights, instead of having colored bulbs, they have a bule lens with a crappy ass cheap bulb. The silver star would be a smart choice to swap out in these applications because not only will they now be brighter, but the whiteness of the Silverstar is also now being double tinted by the blue lens, and you could only imagine the color you're now getting from your fogs.

As for headlights, Serstylz2 can tell you what I swear by... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

http://www.halo2ce.epgservers.com/nitrous/ed1.jpg

http://www.halo2ce.epgservers.com/nitrous/DSCF0023.JPG[/img]

qnz
03-22-2006, 11:50 PM
the best bulbs i ever seen on an 8g is by some small brand called blue zone. SkylineG1 has them and they look better than any PIAAs and silverstars. im trying to find a store that carries them myself but no luck.

mrjaydeeone
03-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Goosey2099 got me on these XD5, I got them from a seller on EBAY that has his own store
here they are in my JDM headlights, the 1st pic is low beams. And the 2nd pic is my highs and lows together
http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/81/02/11143097390.JPG
http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/81/02/21143097412.JPG

2000GTZ
03-23-2006, 06:11 AM
silverstars get my vote. see sig for pic.

shortdogg2k05
03-23-2006, 07:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'>Goosey2099 got me on these XD5, I got them from a seller on EBAY that has his own store
here they are in my JDM headlights, the 1st pic is low beams. And the 2nd pic is my highs and lows together
http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/81/02/21143097412.JPG</div>

Do these lights give off a pure white light? Try to find out who the seller was.

NiTrOuSoXiDe
03-23-2006, 07:57 AM
I've seen Jay's lights, and they're pretty convincing. They're a very nice tint of hyper white with a subtle blue hue. They're pretty bright and I honestly thought they were really HID's until he said they weren't.

I'm currently on the search for new high beam bulbs for my car. I'm looking for something that has a SERIOUS blue tint. Light output isn't too important. I want them to be outrageously blue. Any suggestions?

acitydweller
03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
the other downside to going to HID is the loss of High beam capability.

NiTrOuSoXiDe
03-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Untrue. There are high beam configurations with many HID kits. If I'm not mistaken, that's what bi-xenon means. 'Bi', meaning two, means two xenon configs, low and high.

I could be wrong, though.

racesnos
03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah i read that the "BiXenon" HID kits are the High and low beams together in one kit. But a regular kit only has the low beams. i was wondering what would happen if i sautered off the glare shield on my HID kit, would the light shine further? Also, where do you get the JDM headlamps and (or) the tint for them?

NiTrOuSoXiDe
03-23-2006, 01:28 PM
If you take away the glare shield, you're going to constant get flashed by other drivers because you will be blinding them. Sure, things will look great behind your wheel, but for other drivers, passing you will be a nightmare.

mrjaydeeone
03-23-2006, 11:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shortdogg2k05)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'>Goosey2099 got me on these XD5, I got them from a seller on EBAY that has his own store
http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/81/02/21143097412.JPG</div>

Do these lights give off a pure white light? Try to find out who the seller was.</div>

yes it's white with a bluish hint to them, and like Chris said they definitely have the effect of hid's
I dont remember the exact seller, I do know that they came from Georgia, I did a search on EBAY and came up with these listings ('http://motors.search.ebay.com/xd5_W0QQfromZR40') and a few of the sellers are located in Georgia
actually I will look and see I think I still have the box they were shipped in and I will see if there is a company name tomorrow when I am home from work

kaimontec2003
03-27-2006, 01:28 PM
If you take away the glare shield, you're going to constant get flashed by other drivers because you will be blinding them. Sure, things will look great behind your wheel, but for other drivers, passing you will be a nightmare.

to add to what he's saying

the thing about HID's in the stock galant head light , is that they are not designed to house hid light , the cut off is not correct, the light is every where ( if you get out of the car and look @ the road, a wall that your parked next to or park in front of the wall see where all the light is going)
i think to get the full effect of having Hid light you need to switch to projectors talk to some of the members who have made the switch to the projector/hid setup,vs Hid in stock galant headlight , pictures have been posted befor of the projector/hid setup , you will see the light cutoff at a point where its not in the rear view mirror of a car thats driving in front of you, there is a reason why all the cars u see on the street that come from the factory with Hid 's have that distinctive cut off that your use to seeing
its because the hid light IS 2 - 3 times brighter than the holigan bulb by design and needs to be handled in a certain way as to not blind people.
the police will give you a ticket if they see that your headlamps are aimed incorrectly , atleast in my state ,

i hate when some guy in a riced out civic is behind me and i can tell he has HId's in his normal heallight housing , because thats ALL i can see in all three of my mirrors lol