PDA

View Full Version : Colors = $$$$$

Cyniket
03-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Well, i've had a solid kick in the nuts today, calling around to see how much it will cost me to get my car repainted, mind you I live in WA, just moved here so don't know anything and I called the first body shop and here was the extent of the convo.

Me: Hello, Hi I was just calling to get a ball park estimate on how much it would cost me to get you guys to paint my car.

Them: The whole car?

Me: uhh...yeah..

Them: We start at 5000 dollars.

Me: (completly startled) Uh...thank you.. *click*

------------------------------------------------------------

So this brings me to the point of my post...

Does anyone have any pointers on how to go about getting my car painted, cheaply, yet the paint job is good and will last?

My G is a 2000 Maroon ES right now, I want it to be a champion white or some sort of vibirant white. Should I try to find the paint myself and then find a good body shop or what? Im lost and loosing hope on having my G painted the color I want.

Serstylz2
03-20-2006, 06:18 PM
any MAACO shops around ur area?

Cyniket
03-20-2006, 06:21 PM
I've heard some bad things about them so I don't know if I want to risk it or not. If they could show me some of the work that they have previously done and it looks some what professional then maybe, but they are iffy with me and I don't even know if there are any in my area, like I said I just moved to WA and don't know the area well.

GUTTAZMITZ
03-20-2006, 06:30 PM
all i got to say is.. you get what you pay for.. especially with something like auto paint... 5Gs is a bit much unless u tryin to go with like a candy paint job or a flip-flop job.....
There's a paint shop her in B-town that charges $999 for base coat + clear coat...cheap right? i've seen the finished product.. i was not completely impressed. for a basic fresh coat of paint with some nice clear coats i'd look to spend about 2 to 3Gs.. depending on who ya know maybe a lil cheaper... MAACO is prolly yo best bet.. IMO

PS: Though it's a clean ass color for a G... tryin to keep white paint fresh here in tha south sux (pollen, rain, roads). Also every small dent and ding is 5x more visable than any other color..

ipaintu
03-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Well I work at a Macco in Florida. I dont know what city your in so maybe some input on that and I could locate a shop for you..

Now as far as You get what you pay for is almost right.. I have seen some low dollar jobs blow high end jobs away..

I just painted a Green Kandy for a great friend for about cost. 1100.00
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/mehlinger/Picture2212124.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/mehlinger/Picture2212125.jpg

Now. you cant tell much form these pics... but the car came out great.

I will do you a 5k base clear and youll be 100000% happy. If you pay that amount your car gets stripped to bone and painted and put back together... I have done many custom cars for shows and all.
What you hear is just that stories, Everyone has a story to tell...
The shops work history will tell all.. If you look at the cars parked done by that shop you should see the work that comes out of it. Ask every question you need answered. Its your car, your money and your statisfaction should be met...

GOOD LUCK and member.. All shops are ran different from each, just as a food place is. They all do things their way..
Our shop is one of the best in Florida and we have the paintjobs to prove it...
Thanks/

Cyniket
03-20-2006, 07:29 PM
My question is would it possibly be cheaper to buy my own paint and then go to a shop with that?

pinoyesv6
03-20-2006, 08:03 PM
you might save some money but there is alot of labor involved when changing the color of a car. i mean if you want it done right. see whats involved with that 5k paint job.

ipaintu
03-20-2006, 08:37 PM
in our shop no it wouldnt..

1 aint no way in hell you can buy paints cheaper than I can.
2 If you do Can and will the shop shot it... Alot of shop will vold any warranties maybe..

I mix my own paints. I can mix perfect matches and custom colors.
I have about 25 pearls to play with.

Good Luck tho..

Cyniket
03-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Well I suppose I'll just keep my car the color that it is, it's a pretty color...but I don't know the whole car needs a new paint job, wether it's the same color or a new one.

Another question, would it be cheaper to have the car re-painted the same color?

pinoyesv6
03-20-2006, 08:53 PM
i believe so i mean, chances are you aren't gonna repaint things like the engine bay and the door sils and stuff that like

Darkkend
03-20-2006, 09:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipaintu)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just painted a Green Kandy for a great friend for about cost. 1100.00
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/mehlinger/Picture2212124.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/mehlinger/Picture2212125.jpg
</div>

Nice fleetwood, anymore post or pre paint pics?

ipaintu
03-20-2006, 09:27 PM
ya know I dont take alot of pics of my stuff.. I dont know why i just dont...
That car was a perfect pearl White when I got it...

milo111000
03-20-2006, 10:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipaintu)</div><div class='quotemain'>ya know I dont take alot of pics of my stuff.. I dont know why i just dont...
That car was a perfect pearl White when I got it...</div>

hey ipaintu u wanna go on a little vacation to the beautiful island of Guam? i'll pay for ticket and hotel. paint my car. HEHEHE :wink:

VIPtint
03-20-2006, 11:00 PM
like ipaintu said, you CAN get a really good job from maaco or earl schieb if you tell the what u want. you know if you tell maaco exactly what the 5,000 shop was going to do; their estimate might almost be up there also. just make sure the whole car is sanded and prepped. i think the econo job isnt, not sure though. try if possible to get a staged paint job if you can afford it. you may not want a single stage. even if you go single tell them to shoot it extra and find a good guy to colorsand and buff it. i'm pretty sure you can get a great job done for less than 1500 if you know exactly what to ask to the different shop. ask ipaintu for more exact details. if anybody would know i think it would be him. he seems to know the stuff. and his works look great from what ive heard around here.

solofantasy
03-21-2006, 11:22 AM
doesnt MAACO had a commerical that said about $299 or $399 for painting the whole car?

ipaintu
03-21-2006, 11:45 AM
yes it has some on tv. All ads are subject to change from store to store. While the ads said 249.00 we had same job for 229.00..

but thats just for the paint also..... you still have to pay for Sanding and bodywork,,

Chero2000
03-21-2006, 12:17 PM
You best bets honestly if the guy is going to charge you 5K for the job are:

1) Ship your car to Ipaintu

or

2) Take a vacation to Florida and take it to him!

LOL..

I am. But I live 30 minutes from him.

little blue
03-24-2006, 07:50 AM
ipaintu do you ship paint or just mix it locally. I am trying to find paint for my car, so I don't get screwed by the bodyshop, no one in the area has my color. it is T19 steel blue pearl. Let me know if you do ship and how much, Thank

Three O Five 8g
03-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Honestly a good paint job does'nt only depend on the quality.. it also depends on the painter.. if the painter knows what he is doing.. a 500 dollar paint job can out do a 5000 dollar paint job.. think about it..