PDA

View Full Version : service light on

surreal
03-26-2006, 07:33 PM
well if it ant one thing its another. my light just came on. i went to auto zone to get the code, and i was hoping you all could help with some info...

the code is: P0421

thank you very much for all your help...

d@ve

surreal
03-26-2006, 07:38 PM
well i found this...

"P0421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank no.1)"

but i have know clue what to do now...

thanks again

d@ve

surreal
03-26-2006, 07:48 PM
ok i searched and also found...

bad cat, or bad O2 sensors. im not sure where to start or what to replace, money is real tight, just bought the viper 3000 setup last week.

thanks

d@ve

8gV65spd
03-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Use the Mitsu tech manual and follow the trouble shooting guide for testing the O2 sensor with a multimeter. Test the the cheapest part first, O2 sensor is more likely to go bad.

RedGalant2k1
03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Did you recently buy a tank of gas? If so it may be bad gas.

Otherwise test your O2 sensors as stated. I'd also recommend a mechanic shop to fully diagnose the car, yes you would pay for a scan check.

manybrews
03-26-2006, 11:05 PM
it means you probably have a bad cat. converter.
a failed O2 sensor will not give that code.

surreal
03-27-2006, 10:39 AM
i have seen other people state to clear the code and see if it even comes back. what do you guys think. and how or where to clear the code?

i did just put in some of that injector cleaner from az, not sure if that has something to do with it...

thanks for your help so far...

d@ve

manybrews
03-27-2006, 05:22 PM
i have seen other people state to clear the code and see if it even comes back. what do you guys think. and how or where to clear the code?

i did just put in some of that injector cleaner from az, not sure if that has something to do with it...

thanks for your help so far...

d@ve
clear it. a catalytic converter is a bit spendy, so lets hope your current one is "boarderline", and only fails sometimes.
if it comes back on with the same code, you're gonna need a cat.

jusmills
03-27-2006, 05:30 PM
manybrews...just how much is a catalytic converter...I thought you can get them for like 100?

surreal
03-27-2006, 05:40 PM
how do you clear it?

do i just remove the - battery cable for a few then put it back on? if that is so i hope this dont miss with the new alarm...

i think a cat is around a bill, but i wouldnt know how to install it so the labor can get pretty high from my understanding. plus, there are alot other things i would like to spend a bill on.

d@ve

surreal
03-27-2006, 08:14 PM
update...

i removed the - for about 10 min then put in back on. the ses is now gone. i dont have anywhere to go tonight, plus i plan on paintin some of the interior tonight. so i will let ya know if it comes back on after driving it tomorrow.

d@ve

pinoyesv6
03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
manybrews...just how much is a catalytic converter...I thought you can get them for like 100?

an aftermarket one is like 100 but one from the dealer is way more expensive. i had to get one replaced, i forgot which one but it was like 500 bucks or something like that. or thats according to the shop that worked on my car. i didn't care since the insurance company was paying for it.

surreal
03-29-2006, 11:31 AM
so far so good, the light has not came back on

d@ve