PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft Position Sensor

Stay Alert
03-28-2006, 11:33 AM
my service light was on saying i need to replace the crankshaft position sensor, where is it located and is it some what easy to install yourself if anybody can help me out it would be appreciated. Thanks

Jamie@WORKS
03-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Are you sure it needs replaced? (Does the car still run?) I've seen the code triggered from simply stalling the engine.

Stay Alert
03-28-2006, 01:39 PM
the code says there is a malfuction that exists in the electrical circuit for the crankshaft position sensor when i went up to autozone to get it checked out...................the car was cranking fine yesterday no problem, but when i went 2 go start it today, it didn't do nothing but just sit there no noise or nothing, then i waited like 3minutes started it back up again and it cranked up fine with no problem

what do u mean stalling the engine???

SinSere
03-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Don't think its an easy swap simply because of the postitoning of the sensor and all the garbage surrounding it. That is the symptoms of a bad sensor or positioning of sensor is not starting up. After a couple tries it should turn over unless its totally shot. Had this issue with my Eclipse recently so I know its a pain in the ass. I would guess it needs replaced.

Stay Alert
03-28-2006, 04:22 PM
thanks, i wish it was an easy swap

DOHCstunr
03-28-2006, 04:32 PM
if you can do a timing belt service, then you can replace the sensor.

what bothers me is why your went bad.

besides all that, once you have the timing belt off, its only two 10mm bolts and the sensor is off.
but you have to pull the crank sprocket off first.

but its not really that big of a deal if you can do a timing belt

i bet the sensor isn't cheap though.

Stay Alert
03-28-2006, 04:37 PM
if you can do a timing belt service, then you can replace the sensor.

besides all that, once you have the timing belt off, its only two 10mm bolts and the sensor is off.

i bet the sensor isn't cheap though.

please dont say that, so that means the labor is very expensive isnt it, the sensor is 60.00 at autozone

SkylineG1
03-28-2006, 09:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stay Alert)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>if you can do a timing belt service, then you can replace the sensor.

besides all that, Â*once you have the timing belt off, its only two 10mm bolts and the sensor is off.

i bet the sensor isn't cheap though.</div>

please dont say that, so that means the labor is very expensive isnt it, the sensor is 60.00 at autozone</div>

Unfortunately the sensor is located where the whole timing belt setup is. So to cange it they'll have to take the whole thing apart.

Here's a pic of it.
http://opusx.dyndns.org/garage/24timingbelt/DSC01803.JPG
Pic courtesy of The Black Pearl

Stay Alert
03-28-2006, 11:26 PM
thanx skyline

SkylineG1
03-28-2006, 11:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stay Alert)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanx skyline</div>

Anytime

SROL
03-28-2006, 11:58 PM
I had the same problem with my Sensor. My Galant threw a code right after my car stalled, but I didn't know what was causing it at the time. I went to Autozone and had them read that the CPS Sensor was the problem (Turns out it wasn't). So I inspected the CPS wire and found out that it somehow slipped down near my other belts and part of it was chewed up. I'm not sure what caused it to slip down there but when I changed my timing belt, I wrapped a bunch of electric tape around any exposed wires.

If your car is stalling sometimes, you'll need to get that looked at first. Since most likely the electrical system freaked out and your ECU read it wrong.

Hopefully your sensor didn't go bad because I know the V6 timing belt is a pain in the ass.

Good luck with whatever happens.

bronxbombr
03-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Werd good luck with that.

Stay Alert
03-29-2006, 08:52 AM
I had the same problem with my Sensor. My Galant threw a code right after my car stalled, but I didn't know what was causing it at the time. I went to Autozone and had them read that the CPS Sensor was the problem (Turns out it wasn't). So I inspected the CPS wire and found out that it somehow slipped down near my other belts and part of it was chewed up. I'm not sure what caused it to slip down there but when I changed my timing belt, I wrapped a bunch of electric tape around any exposed wires.

If your car is stalling sometimes, you'll need to get that looked at first. Since most likely the electrical system freaked out and your ECU read it wrong.

Hopefully your sensor didn't go bad because I know the V6 timing belt is a pain in the ass.

Good luck with whatever happens.

My car isn't stalling, but before the check engine ligbt came on, my battery light and break like would come on out of no where and it would go off at random. I hate this shit to cause i just had the whole engine replaced about 2months ago and i could have easily had that channged before i had the newer engine placed in my car. I am beginning 2 start hating my car with all these problems

SROL
03-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Check your connections, fuses, relays, and things like that. Maybe something is just loose. Or if your engine is still under warranty make the guy who installed it fix it.

When I have problems like that, I always forget about the little things that could cause it and just assume it's some big catastrophe. Then I pull my car apart looking for the wrong thing 8).

Cali
03-29-2006, 12:02 PM
i have an extra sensor if you want it (2.4). 35 shipped?