PDA

View Full Version : 8G 5Spd started Today Update 4/20/06

bboypowerhouse3k
03-30-2006, 09:47 AM
ok so heres the deal everyone or for those who care to know
after buying j686m almost complete swap i ended up going to the dealer for some most important parts, i didnt mind doing juss as long as its for my 8g
anyway
im starting the swap today,the weather in nyc well be great frot he next 2 days and by those next two days i plan to have my auto out and and 5 spd tranny ready to begin the process
ill get real into detail when updating similar to what Goosey2099 did (thanks for the tips you might be gettin some calls from me)
along the way any tips you guys can offer will be helpful heres what i got if anything else needed juss drop me a line

5 spd tranny with mounts
clutch slave and master cly with line and hoses and res tank.
7 fly wheel bolts (had to be repurchused)
chrome moley flywheel with clutch throwout bearing and pressure plate with spacer if needed
clutch fork
shifter cables (purchused from dealer) pretty price for these
clutch and break ped assem (also from dealer very hard finding in 5 boros)
shifter ass ( brand new from dealer) this one pissed me off alittle cuz the dealer sold me every part indivi. ended paying about 250 for every little nook and cranny for this assem
and last but least carbon shift boot and some misc bolts
so far my budget after everything bought only cost me about 1,500 bucks
but anyway ill stay posted thanks for any help u guys give in advance

bronxbombr
03-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Nice, so far i've been fortunate to complete my swap and my total cost ran me bout 650 in parts.

Just follow the Tut as much as you can and you should have no probs. Make sure you got the right tools, and try not to strip any bolts or cut corners unless you know what you are doing.

At first it may seem like alot of stuff but in reality it is quite easy.

A Yo Peano, if you see this remember what i was saying about the TGC curse. Keep track of the dates.

bronxbombr
03-30-2006, 11:33 AM
5 spd tranny with mounts
chrome moley flywheel with clutch throwout bearing and pressure plate with spacer if needed
clutch fork
shifter ass ( brand new from dealer) this one pissed me off alittle cuz the dealer sold me every part indivi. ended paying about 250 for every little nook and cranny for this assem

Did you get the TOB from the dealer or aftermarket?

GOOSEY2099
03-30-2006, 12:20 PM
I'm off all day so call me if you need phonesupport

seth98esT
03-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Id recommend getting a new fulcrom pivot ball for the clutch fork as well. Maker sure you lube all the moving parts: Input shaft, pivot ball, TOB.

GOOSEY2099
03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Id recommend getting a new fulcrom pivot ball for the clutch fork as well. Maker sure you lube all the moving parts: Input shaft, pivot ball, TOB.
I think i forgot to do that

Donovan
03-30-2006, 12:45 PM
goodluck

Stewi
03-30-2006, 03:46 PM
ok so heres the deal everyone or for those who care to know
after buying j686m almost complete swap i ended up going to the dealer for some most important parts, i didnt mind doing juss as long as its for my 8g
anyway
im starting the swap today,the weather in nyc well be great frot he next 2 days and by those next two days i plan to have my auto out and and 5 spd tranny ready to begin the process
ill get real into detail when updating similar to what Goosey2099 did (thanks for the tips you might be gettin some calls from me)
along the way any tips you guys can offer will be helpful heres what i got if anything else needed juss drop me a line

5 spd tranny with mounts
clutch fork
so far my budget after everything bought only cost me about 1,500 bucks
but anyway ill stay posted thanks for any help u guys give in advance

When you say you got a "chome moley" flywheel, im assuming you mean a aftermarket chomoly one like ACT or UR. If so, make sure the flywheel bolts you bought are for a 2g eclipse GS-T and not for a 3g, or else they wont fit, the bolts from the 3g are too short, I had that problem already.

bronxbombr
03-30-2006, 04:01 PM
I think i forgot to do that

I didnt change my fork or pivot ball. just removed cleaned and regreased em.

bboypowerhouse3k
03-30-2006, 07:05 PM
pics are soon to come
and the TOB is after market came with the clutch kit
as far as the flywheel bolts i ordered from the dealer were for a 01 rs flywheel so if they dont fit guess ill be heading back to the dealer
as day one ended i didnt get as much as i wanted done but i think its best for me not to rush, i spent about 3 hours alone puttin together the clutch break and shifter (too many damn little peices) i guess thats the down side of buying through thr dealer
after that was finally done takin apart the center console wasnt too hard just pull pieces
but whe it came to unplugin harnesses from the tranny and loosen bolts this where i took time and started marking things
so to sum it up not much done on day one
but tomrrow is another sunny day
so hopefully i can get that auto tranny down and out of the car

bronxbombr
03-31-2006, 02:00 AM
Just take your time and if needed take pics before removing any bolts and parts off, i can drop an auto tranny in less than a half hour. Thats only after doin it so many times you lear different ways of taking it out. Patience is the key.

bboypowerhouse3k
04-06-2006, 12:27 AM
well here i am again posting an update im sure everyone knows how the weather has been the last couple of days in Ny combine that with some work and school and you got some missed days of work on the project but anyway i took some pics of what i done so far
not too mention i ended up spending some more money so this raies the budget of course
i ended up spending money on shifter base and cable bushing set ups becuase the parts that i ordered from the dealer of course didnt come with any also the shifter cable mounts i noticed i didnt have any on the tranny that cost me about 50 bucks from the dealer and also i took the cross member off the frame today which had a cracked engine/tranny mount deff not good.. so i juss said what the heck and bought the front and back tranny/engine mounts so that pushed me up about 200 hundred dollars no biggie. that id didnt mind i also went and bought some more swivle heads and a impact gun and compressor (i think everyone knows why this is a must)
im off from and school and work tomrrow i plan on gettin the manual tranny up and mounted
my only querstion is what happenes to all the harnesses that was once plugged into the auto tranny but anyway ill stay posted and here are some pics i took of what went on

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap005.jpg
when i started i removed everything from strut bar to intake to battery and tray and every little things that were in the way so i could get a clear shot of the tranny

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap002.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap003.jpg
once that was done i figured i get started on the changing the break and hooking up the clutch pedals (these fit in with absolutely no problem at all , everything bolted right up, but be aware its very tricky with things in the way such as the fuse box and wires to bolt up both bolts to the clutch pedal get a socket extention).i removed my driver seat to get extra room to work also removing anything in the way such as panels and wires also help for room
this is a classic shot. im sure everyone whos got a system drilled through this , so now i had to do what goosey did and relocate.
i chose right under the clutch master cyl plate and it went through with no prob. so once that was finshed i decided to get started on drillin out the master cyl holes did it with a home handy drill so the hole wasnt perfect but it was enough to get the master cyl hooked up to the clutch pedal

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap006.jpg
once finshed with that i decided to strip the center consol, for this i removed my passenger seat i dont think that would be needed but i did it anyway to get access on all screws with no prob , also when strippin the center consol make sure you watch for hidden screws and make sure you remmeber what goes where there are alot of peices once it stats coming apart
and that what i had got so far once the rain started hittin
i got up to removing the axels and what i did to remove them and also removing the starter and unblting the tranny
ill have the pics of that later on
until then anymore tips for things to come are greatly apreciated

bronxbombr
04-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Nice, good luck dude.

bboypowerhouse3k
04-09-2006, 11:46 PM
well another update and moving along pretty good
spending a little bit more money here and there gettin little extra things but heres what i done so far
after stripping out the central consol and putting the pedals in
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap2014.jpg
i figured its time for me to get this tranny down
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap2001.jpg
so the first action i take removing the axels (it was my first time ever remvoing axels so i was very very delicate) i loosened up the wheel hub by removing the tie rod bolt and loosing up the bolts on the break caliper from the strut, from there i rest a brick under the control arm so it didnt swing out and hang with pressure. from there i went under the car with a big flat head screwdriver and pryed out the axel i took it little by little and knocked em both out on each side
once the axles were i losened and remvoed the crossmember in the center which had the front engine /tranny mount (had this and the rare one replaced both cracked)
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap2004.jpg
after that i placed a 2 ton jack under the tranny and removed the other 2 remaining mounts holding it up, then me and a friends gave it a couple of shakes here and there and lowered the tranny once it was out and it exposed the tourqe converter
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap2008.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap2009.jpg
removing the torqe converter was pretty tricky since the bolts are kinda hidden behind it and in front fo the flex plate, i used a 17 mm open head wrench to get the bolts out but believe me might need another person for this the bolts need a little torqe to be broken
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap2011.jpg
once thats taken care of the flex plate is now to be removed, i used an impact wrench got em right out, i took the flex plate out and removed the starter as well and the crank is now exposed and ready for the flywheel
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap2012.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap2013.jpg and thats when i started to wrap it up had to get ready for work
ill keep updating
just out of curiosity what did exactly does it mean to short out the wires in the harness for the car to start once the swap is done?
thanx in advanc

GOOSEY2099
04-10-2006, 01:27 AM
good going so far, and just connect the wires like i have in one of my pics thats all. BTW like i said before call if you got a question

devgrp
04-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Damn you are moving fast. I would never attemp something like this https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

bronxbombr
04-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Looking good, keep up the good work.

SkylineG1
04-10-2006, 08:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devgrp)</div><div class='quotemain'>Damn you are moving fast. I would never attemp something like this Â*:lol:</div>

Me either

seth98esT
04-10-2006, 08:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bboypowerhouse3k)</div><div class='quotemain'>just out of curiosity what did exactly does it mean to short out the wires in the harness for the car to start once the swap is done?
thanx in advanc</div>
Its the inhibitor switch, the big connector that goes to the trans. Theres two wires you need to cross in order for the starter to work. Goosey can tell you which wires Id assume.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devgrp)</div><div class='quotemain'>Damn you are moving fast. I would never attemp something like this Â*:lol:</div>

Me either</div>
Wussies.

DOHCstunr
04-10-2006, 09:10 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devgrp)</div><div class='quotemain'>Damn you are moving fast. I would never attemp something like this Â*:lol:</div>

Me either</div>
Wussies.</div>
lol

bronxbombr
04-10-2006, 07:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Me either</div>
Wussies.</div>
lol</div>

x3

Donovan
04-10-2006, 07:31 PM
yeah

4-G-rim
04-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Wow...you are progressing quickly! 8) I commend you for tackling a project such as a 5speed swap...its alot of work. I hope everything goes well and really hope you enjoy the hard work you put into the swap. You'll be proud of yourself and those cuts, snags, bruises, or any other type of inflicted damage the car puts your through will be well worth it once you put it in gear and let go of the clutch!8)

Stewi
04-11-2006, 05:10 PM
everything is looking good, keep up the great work. just an FYI for the future, its 10 times easier just to unbolt the torque convertor with the trans in the car, there is a little cover plate on the bottom of the bell housing, held in wiht 2 bolts, you take that off, and you use a 1/2 drive ratchet to spin the motor over by hand so you can get at the 4 bolts that hold the convertor to the flex plate.

bboypowerhouse3k
04-19-2006, 11:40 PM
well as the crank was exposed the pulling of the pilot bearing was too much for me to bere, i ended up resurfacing a stock flywheel which let me cut some corners of bolting the fly wheel, clutch and pressure plate as you can see my spot where the pilot bearing is all jacked up
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap3001.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap3002.jpg
after that it was pretty much smooth sailing from there, the tranny bolts right up like its suppose to be there. then i just started putting everthing such as battery tray and everything else back in place, placing all ground and what not in the right place
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/djdevildfx/swap3003.jpg
from there i dropped the tranny fliud in and followed the splicing like it said in Goosey2099 tutorial and everthing was go my reverse lights worked and all
with a few works here and there
id like to thank everyone for helping me out, big thanks forreal
and thanks to bronxbombr and Goosey2099 for answering all the little problems here and there i ran into when it came to the clutch juss a few adjusting and everything was ok
total cost for this swap including brand new parts and money for gas so one of my best friends came over everyday to help
once again thanks

SkylineG1
04-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Damn man, you moved quick. Glad to see that all is well in the 5 speed land. Can't wait to see it.

bronxbombr
04-20-2006, 07:35 PM
HANNIBAL, FACE, B.A., MURDOCK, I love it when a plan comes together.