PDA

View Full Version : OBDII no go

jiul
04-03-2006, 02:02 PM
I borrowed an older OBDII scanner made by Acutron from a friend and I tried to read the codes. No go, no code no light nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

evil-G-nius
04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
might be an obd I car...what year is it? I was reading somewhere else here that some 7 gens are obd 1, some are 2, and some are both. Could this be why you get nothing? Guys help us out here

seth98esT
04-03-2006, 02:18 PM
I think yours is a 96? Ive never owned a 96 Galant or really looked at the OBD ports on one, but I think the 96 wasnt full blown OBDII.

If you go to the May 21st BBQ in NY I will let you use my OBDII Cable/Palm and see if it works.

I was at a DSM meet yesterday and the guys there had two cables from www.digitaltuning.com and two palms(m105 and m130) in which they couldnt get the software working. So I took them home with me got the software loaded on both in about 10 minutes and they both worked in my car. Silly DSMers https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

The m130 is cool though, color screen and it has a cf faceplate haha.

jiul
04-03-2006, 03:35 PM
I appreciate that, I think I'm just gonna take the car to a mechanic. I'm just gonna take off the timing belt and try to test the crank sensor if that gives me no clue I'll take to a shop on Thursday ccasue this shit is geting pout of controll.

I think yours is a 96? Ive never owned a 96 Galant or really looked at the OBD ports on one, but I think the 96 wasnt full blown OBDII.

If you go to the May 21st BBQ in NY I will let you use my OBDII Cable/Palm and see if it works.

I was at a DSM meet yesterday and the guys there had two cables from www.digitaltuning.com and two palms(m105 and m130) in which they couldnt get the software working. So I took them home with me got the software loaded on both in about 10 minutes and they both worked in my car. Silly DSMers https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

The m130 is cool though, color screen and it has a cf faceplate haha.

seth98esT
04-03-2006, 03:39 PM
So the CEL is on right now or not? The only way I can get my logger to connect to the car is if I have the Palm turned on and the program running on the Palm before I start the car. Could try that, just make sure the scan tool is plugged in and turned on before you start the car.

jiul
04-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Back on the topic though, yeah its a 96, once I went to Auto Zone to get the codes read and they did. It was prety good too, they did a good diagnosis too my number one cyl. wasn't fiering and the scanner caught that and I was able to fix it. They used the Actron scanner but a bigger and more expensive one than the one I got. maybe I can talk them into letting me borrowing it.

seth98esT
04-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Yah all the AutoZones I have ever been to have only been able to scan OBDII, so if they were able to scan it, you have OBDII. I know AZ has a tool renting program, whether or not the OBDII Scanner is something you can rent or not, I dont know. But may as well have them scan the car again if you have a CEL. If I had an exra cable/palm Id mail it to you and let you borrow it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

jiul
04-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Yah all the AutoZones I have ever been to have only been able to scan OBDII, so if they were able to scan it, you have OBDII. I know AZ has a tool renting program, whether or not the OBDII Scanner is something you can rent or not, I dont know. But may as well have them scan the car again if you have a CEL. If I had an exra cable/palm Id mail it to you and let you borrow it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

NAH they don't rent that but maybe I can talk'em into it or just buy one and return the f--ker.

seth98esT
04-03-2006, 05:18 PM
I was reading the Harbor Freight sales flyer the other day and noticed they had an OBDII scanner for $39.99. Might be worth looking into: www.harborfreight.com

[Edit]
Maybe I read it wrong, showing $389 on their site haha. I will check again.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=42527 ('http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42527')

SuperGALANT
04-05-2006, 04:26 PM
appreciate that, I think I'm just gonna take the car to a mechanic. I'm just gonna take off the timing belt and try to test the crank sensor if that gives me no clue I'll take to a shop on Thursday ccasue this shit is geting pout of controll.
dont take the timing belt off to check the crank sensor.. near the cam pully there is a connector comming out of the timing belt covers and those wires are the crank sensor.. check there.. not worth taking the belt off in my opion

jiul
04-05-2006, 05:14 PM
appreciate that, I think I'm just gonna take the car to a mechanic. I'm just gonna take off the timing belt and try to test the crank sensor if that gives me no clue I'll take to a shop on Thursday ccasue this shit is geting pout of controll.
dont take the timing belt off to check the crank sensor.. near the cam pully there is a connector comming out of the timing belt covers and those wires are the crank sensor.. check there.. not worth taking the belt off in my opion

Right I hear you, but I am at the end of my patience with this car, I bought a new CPS so I'm going to change it. Heck by now I can change the belt in 10 min using one hand and blindfolded LOL

RedGalant2k1
04-05-2006, 08:37 PM
I borrowed an older OBDII scanner made by Acutron from a friend and I tried to read the codes. No go, no code no light nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

Use a better scanner.

might be an obd I car...what year is it? I was reading somewhere else here that some 7 gens are obd 1, some are 2, and some are both. Could this be why you get nothing? Guys help us out here

1996 and up are all ODBII.

Full ODBII.

1997greengalant
04-05-2006, 09:14 PM
ALL cars from 96 to today are ODBII they were required to carry an ODBII port by federal law, now some G's came with both so be sure you hook it up to the correct port, way up in the dash to the center.........

jiul
04-06-2006, 09:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1997greengalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>ALL cars from 96 to today are ODBII they were required to carry an ODBII port by federal law, now some G's came with both so be sure you hook it up to the correct port, way up in the dash to the center.........</div>

Oh really sh*t the one I hooked up is in the dash on the right side, I'll check when I get home for the other one.( Do the two look alike?)
But I bought a scanner that scans both I and II so as soon as I get it I'll try again.

seth98esT
04-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Mine is right under the steering column closer to the center console.

jiul
04-06-2006, 10:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Mine is right under the steering column closer to the center console.</div>

Yeah mine is just about ot the center console, but i don't remeber seeing a second one. I shoukd get the new scanner tomorrow, like I said it scans I and II so I'll see what happens.

jiul
04-07-2006, 12:26 PM
OK so I got my new scanner, AUTOXRAY, hooked it up and gave the message "Vehicle not responding".
Anybody got any ideas?

seth98esT
04-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Did you follow this order:

[LIST]
Hook scanner up to car
Make sure scanner is turned on and ready to go
Turn car on
[LIST]

Thats the only way I can get my logger to connect to my car. The looger has to be plugged in, turned on and ready to go before I start the car.

jiul
04-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Did you follow this order:

[LIST]
Hook scanner up to car
Make sure scanner is turned on and ready to go
Turn car on
[LIST]

Thats the only way I can get my logger to connect to my car. The looger has to be plugged in, turned on and ready to go before I start the car.

Honestly I don't remeber LOL let me go do it again.

jiul
04-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah that's how I did it.

Also I looked udner the dash and there's only one OBD connector.
I also saw two white connectors dangling unhooked to anything. Is that normal or did I pull them out when I changed the throttle cable?

seth98esT
04-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Was it an open connector with 4 pins? 3 on bottum, one on top?
From a 1g:
http://mmcdlogger.sourceforge.net/diag-conn.jpg

jiul
04-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Well the car's been at my local mechanic now for two days and they still don;t have it going, I guess I don't feel all that bad about not figuring out what's wrong with her.

peanotation
07-05-2006, 02:11 PM
anyone figure it out? i have a CEL on my 94 and no obd2 scanner works. the only way to scan it is to use the mitsu scan tool at the dealer and they want $80 just to hook it up :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

so does that mean i'm shit out of luck?

seth98esT
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Cant you try the manual way? Grounding one of the pins on the connector and the CEL flashes? I dont know the proper procedure, but worth a try?

I thought your CEL was broke Matt?

peanotation
07-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Cant you try the manual way? Grounding one of the pins on the connector and the CEL flashes? I dont know the proper procedure, but worth a try?

I thought your CEL was broke Matt?

nah when i pulled the afc2 out all of a sudden it started working again. i swear that afc is nothing but problems :?

i think that CEL flash procedure is for OBD1 cars? i thought mine was obd2? this is so annoying that no one can say for sure.....

djmtz263306
07-12-2006, 02:57 AM
theres some auto shops that carry obd I testers you could check with them instead of the dealer