PDA

View Full Version : Horn problem.......

willieB
04-04-2006, 09:40 AM
All of a sudden when i pressed my horn, it never stopped. I honked at some dude, and here we go, that shit is still on, it only stops when i actually press it and hold it. In the meantime i took the horn fuse out. Im due for inspection this month, so it kinda pissed me off. anyone knows what it could be?
thanks

mitsuree8thgen
04-04-2006, 09:47 AM
this happened to my cousins vr-4. he hit his again fairly hard and it stopped completely. now he needs a horn relay i think.

pinoyesv6
04-04-2006, 09:54 AM
i'd check the horn relay. then i'd check the horn itself. then if those two check out as good, the horn switch.

Kalamidad
04-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Pray that it's not the horn switch. PRAY!!!!

If i remember correctly, one person had a problem with the horn switch and to replace the switch had to replace then entire airbag because they are coupled together.

willieB
04-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks Kal, you just made my day....
Im not to mechanically gifted, how would one go about checking the horn switch, relay?
thanks again

Kalamidad
04-04-2006, 10:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(willieB)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks Kal, you just made my day....
Im not to mechanically gifted, how would one go about checking the horn switch, relay?
thanks again</div>

Sorry man...didn't mean to depress you there...
go to Autozone or a similar store and buy another relay, they are not expensive only a few bucks. Replace it...if you still have the same problem, i would follow all the wiring to the switch to make sure it's not shorting out somewhere....then, once that's ruled out, i would install a custom horn and fuck the stock one...lol. you could still pass inspection with a custom horn switch.

willieB
04-04-2006, 11:20 AM
thanks dude, preciate your help......

elieleb1303
04-20-2006, 01:30 PM
same thing happened to me. horn kept gettin stuck till i hit it pretty hard. then it would stop. then it started goin off on its own. n now it duznt work at all. the fuse kept blowin, but the relay was clickin, so i asumed it was the horn. went to autozone today and bought a new horn, put it in, and as soon as i put the fuse in, it started beepin nonstop till i took the fuse out.
im thinkin its the horn switch, if thats wut the thing inside the steerin wheel is called lol. my question is how do i go about opening up the steerin wheel to take a look?

pinoyesv6
04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
you take it to the dealership and pay them to make sure its the horn switch before you pay them to replace your airbag

spetsnaz
04-21-2006, 03:52 PM
I have some problems with my horn too, some water got in to it and it now sounds like a little pig. I was wondering what kid of horn is better, the low frequency or the high frequency?

pinoyesv6
04-21-2006, 04:01 PM
i got one of each https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Kalamidad
04-21-2006, 08:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>i got one of each Â*:D</div>

i got the stock, a high and a low. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

willieB
01-11-2008, 07:27 PM
ok, being without a horn for that long is enuff. gotto get this shit fixed..

guys, if i was to buy a airbag off ebay, and have a mechanic replace it(most likely is the horn switch inside airbag thats faulty) would it be rather easy fix, or is it complicated replacing the airbag.....

what do you think?????

RAZ_76
01-11-2008, 11:06 PM
You can get an airbag on ebay for under 50 bucks if thats what it comes down to.

Shadow19
01-11-2008, 11:18 PM
ok, being without a horn for that long is enuff. gotto get this shit fixed..

guys, if i was to buy a airbag off ebay, and have a mechanic replace it(most likely is the horn switch inside airbag thats faulty) would it be rather easy fix, or is it complicated replacing the airbag.....

what do you think?????

It shouldnt be too hard.. its bolted to the steering wheel... But... Only thing is.. Your messing with your life there... You do something wrong.. And you could cause the airbag to pop out.... My dad knew someone that was doing work under a dash one time and the air bag deployed and snapped his neck.. Instantly dead.... So IF you try this.. Unplug your battery and just to be safe id wait like 30 min after its unplugged but thats just me.. Im anal about shit like that............ But its not hard i wouldnt believe!..... Good luck!

willieB
01-12-2008, 12:46 AM
thanks guys.im not gona even attemp to do this myself...i'll take it to a mechanic i know, and i'll let him work on it....thanks for all your replies and help..i'll keep you updated.

RAZ_76
01-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Disconnect the battery and nothing is going to pop..lol. I have taken my out a bunch of times. So, disconnect battery, 2 bolts on each side and that's it, comes out.

willieB
02-10-2008, 10:57 PM
finally.....problem solved..
bought an airbag on ebay, went to my friends mechanic,and what do you know...anfter 10 minutes of work, and $10 labor charge, my horn finally works!!!!!!!!

thanks everybody for your help

Kid
02-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Hehe, I remember a long time ago seeing an old man driving around with his horn constantly going off. Hah, he didn't give a sh*t either, he just kept going about his business with his sh*t blaring...lol...
:D

Kid

Fishboy55
02-11-2008, 05:47 AM
finally.....problem solved..
bought an airbag on ebay, went to my friends mechanic,and what do you know...anfter 10 minutes of work, and $10 labor charge, my horn finally works!!!!!!!!

thanks everybody for your help

Too late to get in on the post and tell you that the horn switch is a recall item at the dealership. Hope you didn't pay too much for the airbag assembly. I had mine replaced for free several years ago. Sorry I wasn't quicker, might have saved you a few bucks.

Ruslik
02-11-2008, 04:25 PM
speaking of horns anybody got aftermarket one with cool sound?

Lomo2117
02-11-2008, 04:35 PM
wut years are the horn switch recalled on??

mrjaydeeone
02-11-2008, 04:37 PM

I have hella airhorns in my car right now, much much louder than stock.
I believe Pinoyesv6 has hella supertones in his car, those sound very nice as well
and I think there is a member on here with train horns on his car

UTR
11-08-2008, 04:00 PM
wut years are the horn switch recalled on??

please?

oi nevermind

Fishboy55
11-08-2008, 05:40 PM
please?

oi nevermind
2000 for sure, not positive about other years.

Gtsnapper
11-08-2008, 06:57 PM

I pulled these out of an old GM down at a junk yard and put them in my Galant. They are a little heavy, but produce great sound!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/Gtsnapper/Horn.jpg