PDA

View Full Version : Not sure.

Arty_Harvy
04-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I bought a 2002 Galent 2.4 (stock) in Feb. Its a great car but i was wondering: My car CAN NOT spin its tires. Is that normal or did someone beat the hell out it before i bought it. it has 52,xxx on it. I figured a 2.4 would easily be able to roast em. I got alot of engine work planned so it dont matter but i would still like to know. Thanks guys. -Peace, Mike

bronxbombr
04-16-2006, 01:05 PM
should of put this in the off topic.

Serstylz2
04-16-2006, 01:06 PM
i can spin on gravel, maybe on reg pavement but i dont try anyway.. and if I were you i'd stop trying too, tranny isnt made for that kinda abuse at all

Arty_Harvy
04-16-2006, 01:06 PM
That doesnt answer my question.

Arty_Harvy
04-16-2006, 01:09 PM
I was just wonderin cuz i have driven many automatics with smaller engines and its no problem.

Proto
04-16-2006, 01:12 PM
unless you hold the ebrake up then you are not spinning your tires in a FWD car unless you are putting down that much power. in which case most cars that arent boosted wont break traction. now that answers your question.

rhema83
04-16-2006, 01:35 PM
I cannot spin mine in normal condition. Only when the road is slippery (wet, snow, gravel) then I have a chance.

Xrs2
04-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Even if you get the tires spinning the traction control will put a stop to it pretty quickly.

Proto
04-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Even if you get the tires spinning the traction control will put a stop to it pretty quickly.

what if your 5 spd? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Lootrock
04-16-2006, 02:41 PM
At last year's Maryland meet, Maryland Man spun the shit out of his tires for mad long. He may have a V6 though. I guess its really just technique.

4g63lover
04-16-2006, 03:37 PM
well on my car if you floor the gas from a dead stop my tires still give me some smoke and im bone stock all i got is a K&N drop-in filter.. oh ya and im I4

Danger DANJ
04-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Sorry, but you can't peel out with a 4cyl and an automatic tranny unless you hold up the e-brake which is not a good idea. Even with my V6 which has a CAI, headers and a cat-back, I can't spin the tires either unless I hit some sand or something on the black top. I can chirp the tires really good when making a turn from a dead stop and stomping on the gas, but that's it. If you want to spin the tires, swap in a manual tranny.

polishmafia
04-16-2006, 04:51 PM
ive got a v6, and the only place i can really get a good squeal from my tires is on one entry ramp onto the freeway. its got those damn lights towards the bottom to where only one person can go at a time.

its slightly downhill, 3-4% decline, and at the light, its actually concrete, not black top. i only have about 30% traction on the back tires too.

imagine if quagmire was sayin "giggidy giggidy giggidy." ...my v6 with those conditions can make my tires squeal out one giggidy.

but to all the ricers behind me, im sayin "giggidy giggidy giggidy GONE" https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

ChikagoGTZ
04-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Neutral drop. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

...dont.

Xrs2
04-16-2006, 05:13 PM
If you have a V6 (I/H/E) with Traction Control off and a relzo you can def get em going sometimes. With a 2600 stall I can chirp the tires on hard shifts from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes 2nd to 3rd (tires are like 50%+ prolly). But for the most part, our cars just bounce around when they loose traction. If you have decent tires, you should be pretty much have traction all the time.

My car shifts kinda hard because my tires are off sized so the RPMs are a tad higher when it shifts than the should be.

With my new tires its hard to get em spinning at all, even through slow corners. But with my half worn stock tires, haha its fun.

edit, DANJ if you have not pulled the fuse for traction control you may want too. It feels like the car wants to go a little more with it off. Like the Traction control may have been holding it back a tad on very hard pulls.

pinoyesv6
04-16-2006, 05:23 PM
if the ground is wet, you can break traction much easier

ChikagoGTZ
04-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I can break traction in my GTZ, but when I switched to 18's I couldn't. Now that I'm on EVO 17s, I can break loose for a second...if it's wet I'll break loose going into second sometimes too. I think my TCL is fucked up since I haven't seen that light flicker on in years https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Oh well.

mapid145
04-16-2006, 07:14 PM
if u wanna spin it.. look at ur tires cus the lower the amount of tread.. the better the chance.. see with about 145hp.. you can spin unless u running on slicks..

Arty_Harvy
04-16-2006, 09:00 PM
I reciently bought 18" wheels and 225, 40, 18 BFGoodrich G-Force T/A kds. Thats probly a good reason for me not to be able to spin em.

ABOUT Traction Control. I dont think my car has it. Ill look again though. Would that fuse be in the engine bay or in the cabin?

SleekGTZ
04-16-2006, 10:57 PM
I have a bone stock V6, and my tires spin almost every time from a dead stop. I can even do it on my grand caravan. I always try to press the pedal slowly so that I won't spin them that much.

Oh and by the way, it rains for 9 freakin straight months here in Seattle... that's why. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Kalamidad
04-16-2006, 11:46 PM
I reciently bought 18" wheels and 225, 40, 18 BFGoodrich G-Force T/A kds. Thats probly a good reason for me not to be able to spin em.

ABOUT Traction Control. I dont think my car has it. Ill look again though. Would that fuse be in the engine bay or in the cabin?

there's is no way you'll spin tires on 18s. They are too heavy. Specially if you have chrome ones or some heave ass design.

Arty_Harvy
04-17-2006, 12:51 PM
i dont think they are heavy. they are simple 5 spoke american racing wheels

Arty_Harvy
04-17-2006, 12:55 PM
ill try to post some pics. How is the traction control fuse labeled?

little blue
04-17-2006, 01:04 PM
most of my cars have been auto's, and I could spin the tire no problem. I had a 92 cutlass (v6) that would smoke the tires, i once left a black mark that was about fifty feet. my lebaron (3kgt motor) would spin tires no problem, even with a custom trunk enclosure. the galant only did it with the stock tires. my saturn will do it at a drop of a hat (manual trany). so the comment about no auto can spin tires is just a little off.

solofantasy
04-17-2006, 01:07 PM
the Galant Is a FAT B. its heavy!

if you have a nice season tire, it wont burn off.

you can, if you put some oil on the road! :wink:

Xrs2
04-17-2006, 01:56 PM
The ABS/Traction Control fuse is under the hood, just look in the service manual, its says it in there.

TITAN
04-17-2006, 05:02 PM
ROFL. man this is a goddamn rediculous thread. :laughing: so damn random. you guys all have me cracking up. and normally you gys dont make me laugh. even his double posting too....

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=46096 ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=46096')

Arty_Harvy
04-18-2006, 04:43 PM
i finally got the pictures thing to work. anyway. how is the traction control fuse labeled?

Arty_Harvy
04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
i finally got the pictures thing to work. anyway. how is the traction control fuse labeled?

Danger DANJ
04-18-2006, 05:32 PM
DANJ if you have not pulled the fuse for traction control you may want too. It feels like the car wants to go a little more with it off. Like the Traction control may have been holding it back a tad on very hard pulls.
Isn't the fuse for traction control also the same fuse for ABS? I'm not losing my ABS.

Anyway, I guess I should have mentioned that with my 18s, I can't spin the wheels. If I were to put my stock 16s back on, I can. And the last time I had the stock 16s on, I didn't have the headers or cat-back yet.

TITAN
04-18-2006, 05:36 PM

get rid of the pinstriping

Arty_Harvy
04-18-2006, 10:40 PM
I will when i get it painted.

Xrs2
04-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Yeah the ABS and Traction Control are intergrated into one system. ABS is for emergencies only IMO. I have been rolling around with it off for months now, and have hit the brakes pretty damn hard and they still havn't locked. But I was nervous about loosing it too.