PDA

View Full Version : SES after timing belt replacement

uiucgalant
04-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I have a 2000 Galant 4cyl ES with 72000 miles on it. The timing belt got broken and I took it to the dealer to get it replaced. A few other things were also replaced (listed below).
After abt 80 miles, the SES light came up and now the car is shaking while idling. As soon as I accelerate it, the vibration goes away. Also, it doesn't seem to vibrate when its in Neutral gear.

What could be the problem? I plan to take it back to the dealer tomorrow. What should I tell him..so that he takes care of the problem ('cos I just paid him a whole lot for timing belt, water pump, fuel pump etc).

Thanks.

List of things that I got replaced:
Timing Belt
Case Assy, cylinder Block FR
Water Pump
Adjuster, Timing Belt Tensioner
Sprocket, Crankshaft Balancer Shaft Drive
Liquid Gasket, Eng
Gasket, Eng Fr Case

ChikagoGTZ
04-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Off topic...You at U of I at Urbana?

Did they do a compression test to determine if you bent any valves?

pinoyesv6
04-16-2006, 08:56 PM
if you get the ses light scanned it can point to where the problem may be. could be something something that wasn't plugged in all teh way and got loosened up or something.

uiucgalant
04-16-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't know if they did a compression test. I did ask them whether they had chekced for any problems in the engine (bent valves etc) and they told me that "thankfully the engine is fine..there are no bent valves or anything". So does this mean that they had done all the required tests after the belt replacement ?

off-topic: Yes, I'm at Urbana-Champaign.

uiucgalant
04-16-2006, 09:02 PM
if you get the ses light scanned it can point to where the problem may be. could be something something that wasn't plugged in all teh way and got loosened up or something.

Exactly what should I tell them (so that they don't rip me off)
I'm not very good at dealing with these dealers.
Shouldn't it be their responsibility to check for this malfunction (for free) ?

pinoyesv6
04-16-2006, 09:03 PM

Exactly what should I tell them (so that they don't rip me off)
I'm not very good at dealing with these dealers.
Shouldn't it be their responsibility to check for this malfunction (for free) ?

they'll more than likely charge you a diagnostic fee. if the problem is related to the work they did then she should pay for it. but if its totally unrelated then the fees on you more than likely.

uiucgalant
04-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I took the car to the dealer today. The error code is P0302. He told me that it means that "Cylinder 2 in misfiring"..and so it has nothing to do with the job he did with the timing belt replacement etc.

What could be the reason for cylinder misfiring ? Faulty spark plugs ?

FrankMB
04-17-2006, 12:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uiucgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>I took the car to the dealer today. The error code is P0302. He told me that it means that "Cylinder 2 in misfiring"..and so it has nothing to do with the job he did with the timing belt replacement etc.

What could be the reason for cylinder misfiring ? Faulty spark plugs ?</div>

Spark plugs and/or wires

n3oAcid24
04-17-2006, 12:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FrankMB)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uiucgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>I took the car to the dealer today. The error code is P0302. He told me that it means that "Cylinder 2 in misfiring"..and so it has nothing to do with the job he did with the timing belt replacement etc.

What could be the reason for cylinder misfiring ? Faulty spark plugs ?</div>

Spark plugs and/or wires</div>

that or it can be your Coil Pack.... i had the same problem on my 4th Cylinder and it has a Coil Pack on it. the 2nd and 4th cylinders have them. change the Plugs and if that dont work switch the Coil Packs and when the code comes back, get it read and if the misfire changes cylinder then you know its the coil pack..hopw this helps......

side note........ill be at U of I next week for a bar crawl..... ODPHI bar crawl to be specific... you going??? let me know man.. 8)

uiucgalant
04-17-2006, 05:00 PM
As you might have already figured out, I don't have any experience working under the hood..and I don't know how to change spark plugs.

Should I take the car to a local mechanic and ask them to install new spark plugs (NGK..i guess) ..or should I ask him to have my engine tuned ?

aside: i don't have plans to go to the barcrawl https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

ChikagoGTZ
04-17-2006, 05:08 PM
(when I went to UIC I'd go to U of I for parties and the like...my buddy got a drunk and disorderly and we had to bail him out...I think his fines were somewhere around 3 grand! In Chicago, the cops would drive you home if you asked nice enough https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif ...

n3oAcid24
04-17-2006, 08:10 PM
As you might have already figured out, I don't have any experience working under the hood..and I don't know how to change spark plugs.

Should I take the car to a local mechanic and ask them to install new spark plugs (NGK..i guess) ..or should I ask him to have my engine tuned ?

aside: i don't have plans to go to the barcrawl https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

MAN......................... if you can wait a week ill be down there and ill help you out.... let me know... im for sure going down there on the 28th so i can save you a few bucks man..... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Satan
04-18-2006, 08:51 AM
You can go ahead and get your SES code read at any of the auto parts stores that do it for free, in your area. The local Autozone is where I always have mine checked.

That way if you go to the dealer or whatever, you still have a better idea of what the problem may be.