PDA

View Full Version : Front Bumper Removal

ChuloMxcn
04-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Dunno how many of you have removed your front bumper yourself or if its even recommended not to unless replacing it, but I wanted to know if anybody has any tips or pics of removing their front bumper. I plan on messin w/the bumper this weekend and think it would be easier if it was off the car, so lookin for any help. Dunno if the removal of an 02-03 is different, but Im lookin on info on a 99-01. I basically just dont wanna fu$k it up when takin it off or puttin it back on.

str8304
04-19-2006, 10:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChuloMxcn)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dunno how many of you have removed your front bumper yourself or if its even recommended not to unless replacing it, but I wanted to know if anybody has any tips or pics of removing their front bumper. Â*I plan on messin w/the bumper this weekend and think it would be easier if it was off the car, so lookin for any help. Â*Dunno if the removal of an 02-03 is different, but Im lookin on info on a 99-01. Â*I basically just dont wanna fu$k it up when takin it off or puttin it back on.</div>I've done it and it is very very easy, but i do not have like a tutorial or anything. You are removing a lot of plastic clips from the holes. If i remember correctly, i think the only tool i used was a nice size flat tip screwdriver to get all the clips out.

Dominicano
04-19-2006, 10:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(str8304)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChuloMxcn)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dunno how many of you have removed your front bumper yourself or if its even recommended not to unless replacing it, but I wanted to know if anybody has any tips or pics of removing their front bumper. Â*I plan on messin w/the bumper this weekend and think it would be easier if it was off the car, so lookin for any help. Â*Dunno if the removal of an 02-03 is different, but Im lookin on info on a 99-01. Â*I basically just dont wanna fu$k it up when takin it off or puttin it back on.</div>I've done it and it is very very easy, but i do not have like a tutorial or anything. You are removing a lot of plastic clips from the holes. If i remember correctly, i think the only tool i used was a nice size flat tip screwdriver to get all the clips out.</div>

and there is also two screws on each side connecting the bumper to the fender you can push the wheel well splash guard out the way get a long screw driver I used a philip. Also the the two bolts connect to the radiator support behind the grill so it will a bunch of plastic clip at the bottom of the bumper two screws on each side and the two bolts behind the grill.

FrankMB
04-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Two philips screws on each side behind the fender cover where the bumper meets the fender.

I think 6 Screw-clips? on top once you remove the grille and heads. And two more underneath the bumper in the middle.

Unscrew and pull those.

ChuloMxcn
04-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Doesn't sound too bad, thanks guys. Ill take a look at it this weekend and see what im really in for and hopefully be able to take pics if u guys are interested in me making a how-to.

rolling
04-20-2006, 02:05 AM
it 6 screws 2behind each of the fenders and two in front behind the grill thats it on less you want off the bracket then its a bunch of small black screws behind the grill

BIGMONEYDAY
04-20-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm glad this post was started, so now I'll try this again. I think I broke all those little plastic clips when I tried to take my bumper off last month. I guess it's time to head down to the dealer to get some more. I would suggest getting some extra clips before doing this, cause your gonna wind up breaking some or stripping the little faux screw heads in them.

G-spot
04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BIGMONEYDAY)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm glad this post was started, so now I'll try this again. Â*I think I broke all those little plastic clips when I tried to take my bumper off last month. Â*I guess it's time to head down to the dealer to get some more. Â*I would suggest getting some extra clips before doing this, cause your gonna wind up breaking some or stripping the little faux screw heads in them.</div>

autozone sell 'em for a lot cheaper than the dealership, and comes in bulk

BIGMONEYDAY
04-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I thought I looked there but couldn't find any. That's why I thought they were a "dealer only" item, and you know they bend you over the parts counter all the time. I'll check The Zone, and try this again this weekend.

DryBear
04-20-2006, 02:45 PM
By the way, don't try using a power drill/screwdriver to get the plastic screw clips off - they will just spin in place - just use a screwdriver :oops: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Actually, not sure if it is the same on the 99-01 bumper, but on the 02-03, the plastic screw clips hold the bumper to a metal bracket - if you just unbolt the 2 bolts on that bracket (bolts are near the grill area if I recall correctly) then you can take that whole part out without messing with the plastic screw clips.

pinoyesv6
04-20-2006, 09:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DryBear)</div><div class='quotemain'>Actually, not sure if it is the same on the 99-01 bumper, but on the 02-03, the plastic screw clips hold the bumper to a metal bracket - if you just unbolt the 2 bolts on that bracket (bolts are near the grill area if I recall correctly) then you can take that whole part out without messing with the plastic screw clips.</div>

yup the 99-01 bumper is the same way. and don't forget to unplug the fogs before trying to walk away with the bumper

BIGMONEYDAY
04-21-2006, 03:36 PM
DryBear/PinoyesV6...Thanks again for that heads up. You just took my frustration level down about 50%. I know was time I tried this, I pretty muched destroyed all those plastic clips and didn't even get the bumper off. I'll look for the key 6 screws first, this time. So I guess that way I won't have to worry about taking off those plactic clips. Wish me some luck.

Kalamidad
04-21-2006, 08:49 PM
the best approach is just taking your Time. If the bumper won't come off, you're probably forgetting a screw that you couldn't see... (remember Dominicano?) It also helps having a member's phone number for quick reference.

DryBear
04-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Just wanted to add that I just remembered that support bar that holds up the bumper is also screwed into the sides, so I would start at the sides first - the two screws on the side are somewhere aroudn this area:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/DryBear/8G%20Diagrams/Bumper-Screws.jpg

ChuloMxcn
04-22-2006, 09:25 PM
I got it off!!!!! Now I have to put it back on tomorrow after finishing what I have to do to it. Thanks for the help guys!!!

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/111/22/DSCF28181145758908.jpg

Phil
06-06-2006, 06:03 PM
well im trying this tomorrow. It should be interesting