PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Intake Manifold (4G64) (Came up to 1 Problem)

Kalamidad
04-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm gonna be attempting this. I have all the time in the world.

any words of wisdom you guys can share would be appreciated. I've saw it done in the past but i didn't see the entire process.

shortdogg2k05
04-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Yours cracked?

Kalamidad
04-20-2006, 12:52 PM
ii had mine replace about a month back...my sister's cracked.

underated
04-21-2006, 12:25 AM
its really straight forward i have some pictures of when i did the outlander swap on mine and there is a write up i did posted on galantforums.com

G-spot
04-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Out of all people, why text me if I have an I4 manifold lying around? :?:

Junk yard is your friend. I've seen plenty of I4's on both Galant/Eclipse and Outlanders.

Just watch out, when you take apart any of the solenoids, do not yank the solenoids out by force. It messes up your idle and engine shut down when A/C turns on. Plus each solenoid cost $30 at the dealership.

Kalamidad
04-21-2006, 12:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(underated)</div><div class='quotemain'>its really straight forward i have some pictures of when i did the outlander swap on mine and there is a write up i did posted on galantforums.com</div>

brandon can you find those for me?

Pete, sent out a mass text to all the members on my phone. You may have a six but you may know someone who has a four. It's all about networking, that's just another use for TGC.

underated
04-22-2006, 08:10 PM
i will get those to you tonight... did you see the write-up on galantforums?

how do you want me to send them?

Kalamidad
04-23-2006, 12:44 AM
[email protected], but i may not need them. Thanks anyways.

Well, i took off the manifold, that wasn't too hard, the hardest part where the three bolts on the bottom driver side of the manifold. I hope i can tighten those good enough.
We went to a junk yard and got a used one for $100, they included everything that was attached to it except the injectors, so i'll probably be selling those extra parts. This job does seem difficult at all, except for the manuvering. I gonna try and finish it tomorrow.

underated
04-23-2006, 11:45 AM
oh thats cool man let me know if you need them later on or something... oh and dont forget to put a little bit of sealant on the thermostat housing there is a spot to put some so it doesnt leak

Kalamidad
04-23-2006, 12:03 PM
I came up to a problem...

The replacement manifold i got does not have one of the mounts for the sensors that goes directly on top of the manifold, right behind the passanger side coil pack. Can i mount this sensor somewhere else? I'm gonna see if i can post up a picture..

G-spot
04-23-2006, 12:34 PM
was the manifold from a cali spec?

Kalamidad
04-23-2006, 12:37 PM
This picture shows the mount and the sensors attached... right behind the coil pack.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/402000-402999/402847_225_full.jpg

This is the picture of the replacement manifold..everything matches up except that the mount is not there..
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/402000-402999/402847_226_full.jpg

Suggestions?

Kalamidad
04-23-2006, 12:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G-spot)</div><div class='quotemain'>was the manifold from a cali spec?</div>

i think it is, but it had the same exact manifold as mine and mine is a Fed Spec.

that manifold belongs to an 01 I4. her car is a 99 i4.

can any 01 I4 members tell me where that sensor is located?

G-spot
04-23-2006, 12:42 PM
take the mount off and JB weld it to the other one. It may sound a little ghetto but it's your sister's car.

DryBear
04-23-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't have an I4, but from the pictures, it just looks like that is just a mount for that sensor plug along with a grounding spot for something else.

G-spot
04-23-2006, 12:49 PM
do you hve pics of the cracked intake manifold?

Kalamidad
04-23-2006, 12:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DryBear)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't have an I4, but from the pictures, it just looks like that is just a mount for that sensor plug along with a grounding spot for something else.</div>
that's what i think. that sensor has a metal plate under it.

I just noticed your Avatar!!! HA HA HA!!!

Kalamidad
04-23-2006, 12:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G-spot)</div><div class='quotemain'>do you hve pics of the cracked intake manifold?</div>

what do you want a picture off? the mount or how it cracked?

Kalamidad
04-23-2006, 01:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(underated)</div><div class='quotemain'>i will get those to you tonight... did you see the write-up on galantforums?

how do you want me to send them?</div>

can you email it to me now...at [email protected] Thanks

Kalamidad
04-23-2006, 06:16 PM
aaahhh, the sweet taste of success!!!!!!

I ended up grounding the sensors somewhere else and it works fine. I would like to know where the 01 has those extra sensors though.

Thank you guys.

underated
04-24-2006, 02:53 PM
that sensor with the metal plate under it is the ignition failure sensor im not sure how it needs to be mounted to be effective so i just mounted mine to this little metal bracket comming off of the valve cover

DOHCstunr
04-24-2006, 02:58 PM
How does she run?
that plenum is like 3 times the size of the non existant galant plenum.

any more top end?

Kalamidad
04-24-2006, 03:10 PM
that sensor with the metal plate under it is the ignition failure sensor im not sure how it needs to be mounted to be effective so i just mounted mine to this little metal bracket comming off of the valve cover

did the same thing...thanks man.

How does she run?
that plenum is like 3 times the size of the non existant galant plenum.

any more top end?

she runs well. No problems at all. My sister said she feels better than before. My explanation is that before it broke apart, it had a crack letting air scape..now she has full flow. she feels better overall. not just top end.

bronxbombr
04-24-2006, 03:42 PM
NICE!