PDA

View Full Version : Defroster issue

GoldGalant [Reborn]
04-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Whenever I turn on my front defroster whether at just the windshield setting or the feet and windshield setting, my car begin to sputter, lights dim and eventually stalls out. After that I need a boost to start her, right now I don't use that setting and all is well but I need to get it fixed and want to have an idea of what is wrong before I get raped by the dealer.

Shadow19
04-24-2006, 12:08 AM
Hmmmm... Correct me if im wrong but when you turn your defrost on the car idles lower... If thats the case maybe your car doesnt idle correctly to begin with.. But im no mechanic... Hope you get it fixed though or your ass will be pimpin a rag in the glove box to wipe the window https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

galant_got_speed
04-24-2006, 12:11 AM
hmmm im not sure about the answer to ur problem..when i installed my intake i used to have idling problems...and when i turned on the compressor the car stalled out....it did that for weeks until i finally realized i had to reset the ECU...i dunno its just a thought...

devgrp
04-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Mine does the same thing, but mine does not shut off. The rpms just drops and it feel like the car is going to stall, then it back ti normal.

mapid145
04-24-2006, 01:27 AM
wat was the last thing u did to ur car before the problem happened..

GoldGalant [Reborn]
04-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Nothing really had my intake for years, it just happened recently on a very rainy day and even while driving I am losing power when I had it on.

DOHCstunr
04-24-2006, 09:07 AM
your car studders cause the a/c compressor kicks in for the front window defroster. for the rear its because you are putting a load on the alternator when you hit the switch.

try cleaning your throttlebody.

is your idle otherwise stable under all other circumstances?

what do you idle at?
start at the fat mark (thats 500rpms) then count up

Dominicano
04-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah i used to have terible idle when i had the short ram intake to the point that i just took it off and put my regular box. From time to time If i ever have the wipers going, defroster and the air my rpm would jump up and down like crazy and sometimes will shut off on me. I am not sure if its the alternator that can not keep up with the power usage. once i see it jump like crazy i turn off the air and the wiper and its back to normal.

little blue
04-24-2006, 12:17 PM
this sounds like a alternator issue, have autozone check it out. also, do you have after market battery connections? if you do, check to make sure you have a good connection.

bronxbombr
04-24-2006, 04:13 PM
this sounds like a alternator issue, have autozone check it out. also, do you have after market battery connections? if you do, check to make sure you have a good connection.

I was just about to say the same thing!

GoldGalant [Reborn]
04-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Change my alti last year, will check my connections, trottle body and what not.

RedGalant2k1
04-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Sounds like a A/C problem. Does it still blow cold air?

GoldGalant [Reborn]
04-24-2006, 09:36 PM
It works that I know.

RedGalant2k1
04-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Does your cooling fan turn on at all?

GoldGalant [Reborn]
04-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes the cooling fan works also, I tried it again earlier and it was working ok I guess still will get it checked soon.

manybrews
04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
as already said, clean your throttle body.

Dominicano
04-25-2006, 07:52 PM
as already said, clean your throttle body.

I thought about that too but when i take off the piping for the intake mine is freaking clean, I know its unbelievable but its true.

manybrews
04-26-2006, 07:17 PM
I thought about that too but when i take off the piping for the intake mine is freaking clean, I know its unbelievable but its true.
a visual inspection means nothing. The primary source of issues is from carbon built up on the EDGE of the throttle plate, not the surface.