PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt change

BassmanLN
11-06-2002, 02:44 PM
Im glad they got the board back up! But anyway...my car started making woodpecker sounds under the hood when i first started it and it got me kinda scared. Because i knew that i was supposed to have my timing belt changed at 60,000 miles. well my car has 110,000 miles and i never had the belt changed. the dealer told me that im the luckyest guy hes ever seen cuz they usually blow around 70 or 80,000 miles. He told me to jsut not rev it anymore (he was pretty funny about it) But the noise came because one of the pulleys broke and the only reason it still worked was because when it got warm enough it made the rubber melt and grab back on.. so im lucky! So they replaced all my belts, the pulley, the water pump (leaking) and serviced the tranny fluid..along w some other stuff.. for a grand total of... $885.00!! It was worth it though, it drives like its brand new. But the moral of the story is, get your timing belt changed!! the guy showed me pics of rods actually busting through the valve cover and stuff when belts blew. We have $5,000 engines! and he said they call them "zero clearance" engines becasue once it breaks theres no room for the valves to jsut freely move, it explodes right then. So pay the $550 to get it fixed so you wont be stuck buying a $5,000 engine. I love my galant even more now because it can take a beating almost twice the miles its supposed to! I'll post pics of the broken parts sometime to show you what happens. 8)
PS.. make sure that if you dont go to the dealer to have the T. Belt replaced, make sure they replace the hydraulic tension adjuster too. He told me if thats not replaced a new timing belt doesnt do you any good.

HiperSilver
11-10-2002, 12:17 AM
OMG

THIS JUST HAPPEND TO ME!!!!

800 bucks to fix it,

-So i hear the flapping/woodpecker noise, bring it it, the crank pulley assembly broke , that morning they started the car and *parts started flying everywhere* as they say. They replaced the crank pulley assembly, fixed bearing in the ac idler pully, and other shit. THey said i was damn lucky it didnt happen on the road, i only got 42k miles on my car

but today im hearing this super loud constant screetching noise, look under the hood the tensioner for the alternator came apart from the bracket, it was soooo lose, i poped it back in with my hands, then did a lot of tightening and it works now.

Man, think of the odds...

BassmanLN
11-10-2002, 03:48 PM
only 42k miles? mine lasted 109k! good thing you got it fixed tho. I ive decided it was worth the money i paid. the car runs liek brand new. and since the tranny fluidfilter was changed it shifts a lot smoother too. 8)