PDA

View Full Version : Comp check

jiul
04-26-2006, 10:25 AM
So the mechaninc that I took the car to, said that the car may have valve trouble. Well on my com test I get over 185 psi on all cyls. Do you guys think its worth taking them off and finding out if I have bent valves?

DOHCstunr
04-26-2006, 11:56 AM
So the mechaninc that I took the car to, said that the car may have valve trouble. Well on my com test I get over 185 psi on all cyls. Do you guys think its worth taking them off and finding out if I have bent valves?

i doubt your valves are bent if you are reading nearly perfect compression.

check to make sure your timing marks all line up.

why do you think you have valvetrain issues?
is their any sypmtoms you are dealing with?

jiul
04-26-2006, 12:10 PM

hell, I'm convinced that I have no valve train issue. Its what the mechanic I took it to said I might have. before he admited to not having done a comp test)
I have an oil leak and I may have somehow crinckled the head gasket and I have a vacum leak at he exhaust manifold, but like you said
I sure don't think I have any probs with the valve train.
I just want to see what smarter people think of this.
I'll take the heasds off again to put in a new head hasket and was wondering if I should spend the money to get the heads checked.
Thanks

DOHCstunr
04-26-2006, 12:40 PM

hell, I'm convinced that I have no valve train issue. Its what the mechanic I took it to said I might have. before he admited to not having done a comp test)
I have an oil leak and I may have somehow crinckled the head gasket and I have a vacum leak at he exhaust manifold, but like you said
I'll take the heasds off again to put in a new head hasket and was wondering if I should spend the money to get the heads checked.
Thanks

well if you didn't the first time, take the head to a machine shop to get it milled. for a gasket to seat properly the head has to be perfectly flat.

also, you might want to pick up some valve seals off ebay and either install them yourself, of have the machine shop install them when you have the head up there.

also, don't reuse any intake or exhaust gaskets. make sure you use new ones.

jiul
04-26-2006, 05:24 PM

Thanks

well if you didn't the first time, take the head to a machine shop to get it milled. for a gasket to seat properly the head has to be perfectly flat.

also, you might want to pick up some valve seals off ebay and either install them yourself, of have the machine shop install them when you have the head up there.

also, don't reuse any intake or exhaust gaskets. make sure you use new ones.

Got it.
I don't think I'm taking the heads to thse shop again they were milled and ported and polished, but the second time I took them off I just got lazy and mounted the intake on and then dropped the hole thing on the block as one unit 'cause I was in a hurry..ahh well.
like I said I'm getting 185 + comp on a weak battery. I'll take your advice on the other stuff though and I'll just clean the heads right.

seth98esT
04-26-2006, 05:55 PM
You keep saying "heads" yet you have an i4. Im confused.

jiul
04-26-2006, 07:09 PM
You keep saying "heads" yet you have an i4. Im confused.

Hey man us old folks have a hard time breaking habits. Here, "head" you feel better LOL