PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stutter egr valve code

phizz2k
04-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Well I've been doing a lot of highway travel and recently my engine light came on... I got it checked out and a number of codes were given.

The one iam concerned about is the egr valve. Now as I rev the engine and look down at the valve, I can see it's moving back and forth. At idle however I noticed the the valve is not fully closed.

I removed the hose conected to the end of the egr valve and the motor Idle'd well. I can also feel air being sucked in through the vacum control valve, at idle.

I have already taken off the egr valve and cleaned away a lot of carbon build up.... Is there anything else I can do?

Or may this be a bad solenoid?

Shadow19
04-26-2006, 04:05 PM
im having the same problem. I took the EGR off about 2 months ago and cleaned the shit out of it. But a few weeks ago i discovered that the vacuum hoses werent connected properly. Maybe that caused more build up in the EGR valve seeing that the solenoid wasnt opening and shutting. When i had it off the car i did a vauum test on it and it tested within factory specs. So if u find out what the problem is please let me know. The enigne light freaks me out a little bit and id like to try and fix the problem.

peanotation
04-26-2006, 04:20 PM
i'm not sure if this will fix your problem, but you can try putting a block-off plate in there. a couple months after i put the turbo on i had wierd idle issues and my car would stall sometimes after an agressive pull. i made a plate out of sheet aluminum and put it between the intake mani and egr valve and used the same bolts. the egr valve helped keep the plate flat and compressed against the intake mani evenly. all my problems went away.

phizz2k
04-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Wow peano thats pretty interesting. I know that will work however the egr valve serves the purpose of letting exhaust back into the intake at certain speeds, so I was told.

Do you think that you are cutting down on the millage you are getting by blocking this off? Or hurting the performance of your motor in any other way?

I will proably do this because the car idle's so rough right now and it feels like it can cut off at any second. Thanks for our thoughts...

4-G-rim
04-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Either make or buy a EGR block off plate or you can even by it from Mitsubishi. (Not sure about the part number) I know a guy with a 97 Galant 5 speed BONE stock and he has no EGR from the factory with a OEM blockoff plate. I bought mine from Ebay and installed it and haven't had a problem yet. You can use the EGR blockoff plates for 4g63 applications..they're the same thing on the 4G64's.

RedGalant2k1
04-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Wow peano thats pretty interesting. I know that will work however the egr valve serves the purpose of letting exhaust back into the intake at certain speeds, so I was told.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation - EGR. Its for reduced emissions.

What other codes were present?

phizz2k
04-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks alot so much guys... I will be getting that from ebay shortly...

The other codes I recieved were a tcu code and a speed sensor control code.

Um does anyone know where this speed sensor control is located?

manybrews
04-26-2006, 07:21 PM
you probably only need a solenoid.
common failure.

and removing the EGR can lead to other issues. its primary job is to reduce NoX emissions, but in doing so it also GREATLY helps lower combustion temp, preventing pinging and increasing milage.
The EGR valve is an integrated part of todays cars, and removing it causes more harm than good. frankly, it causes NO good whatsoever.
you may also get a check engine light (or I should say will probably get one) if you delete the EGR.

phizz2k
04-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Hmmm thanks for the reply Manybrews... When you say bad solenoid, I noticed that there are two next to each other that connects to the vacum control unit.

Is there a way to test to see which one is bad? I believe it may be the one that connects to the vacum control and than the egr and not the one conected to throttle body via the vacum control valve. But I would like to be sure...