PDA

View Full Version : cat problem

rcgalant
04-26-2006, 10:14 PM
i need help i have an 02 galant w/about 111,000 miles. i know its alot. anyways my check engine light came on and i had it hooked up at autozone they told me it is the cat, so i go to a shop where i know a guy and he tells me its the cat that is connected to the exhaust manifold. ineed to find this part but the only place i can find it is at the dealer and its almost 800 dollars just for a cat. help anybody, i can't even go to the junkyard because they say its illeagal to sell a used one HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! car is running like crap because it is getting more clogged. :?: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

RedGalant2k1
04-26-2006, 10:50 PM
An Exhaust shop can install an aftermarket cat, probably half the price of the direct fit cat, but don't quote me on that. Personally I'd recommend using the factory cat, nothing else.

Calipso
04-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Your galant (2002) should still be under the federal emissions warranty. My cat went out last year and it was fully covered by Mitsubishi. My warranty was expired, but Mitsubishi covered it because it wasn't supposed to crap out so soon.

Skillz911
04-27-2006, 06:46 AM
Buy an aftermarket cat on ebay. for like $50-55 shipped. It will work fine. I know because I have one with flanges welded on each end which makes it a direct bolt on.

rcgalant
04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Buy an aftermarket cat on ebay. for like $50-55 shipped. It will work fine. I know because I have one with flanges welded on each end which makes it a direct bolt on..

you had flanges welded onto a universal cat. like the one that is further down the exauhst pipe? where did you get the flanges.

Calipso
04-29-2006, 03:56 AM
Buy an aftermarket cat on ebay. for like $50-55 shipped. It will work fine. I know because I have one with flanges welded on each end which makes it a direct bolt on.

Dealerships gouge you hardcore on parts. I'd do the same thing, ebay for me. Honestly you don't even really need a CAT on the car, some people take theirs off completely.

rcgalant
04-29-2006, 08:25 AM
ealerships gouge you hardcore on parts. I'd do the same thing, ebay for me. Honestly you don't even really need a CAT on the car, some people take theirs off completely.

will any universal cat fit? do i cut off old flanges and reweld them to new one will they fit? if i take it off it won't pass the emmissions test and my service engine light will stay on?

manybrews
04-29-2006, 08:52 AM
the cat is cast as part of the manifold.. theres no easy way to "bolt" on a new cat without getting an entire manifold.

Calipso
04-29-2006, 12:28 PM
ealerships gouge you hardcore on parts. I'd do the same thing, ebay for me. Honestly you don't even really need a CAT on the car, some people take theirs off completely.

will any universal cat fit? do i cut off old flanges and reweld them to new one will they fit? if i take it off it won't pass the emmissions test and my service engine light will stay on?

Where you live and who you know are the most important things. I passed my inspection test even though my brake lights, turn lights and reverse lights didn't work in my tails.

bronxbombr
04-29-2006, 01:12 PM
My company sells OEM cats and yes they can and are pricey, but 800 bux is just stupid.

RedGalant2k1
04-29-2006, 05:01 PM
My company sells OEM cats and yes they can and are pricey, but 800 bux is just stupid.

at manufacturer cost maybe, but at retail when you factor in labor, electricity, tools, shop maintenence $800 is a bargain for a cat.