PDA

View Full Version : AC compressor clutch explosion?

98ACR
04-28-2006, 08:04 PM
The other day I was driving along and my A/C started blowing warm. I had the A/C tech at work check it out and he found that the compressor clutch has basically exploded, and when I switch it on, you can hear the pieces ratteling around in there. He also said this was a fairly common problem with these cars. Has anyone else heard of this?

Also when I called my local Mitsu dealer to get pricing on a compressor, they not only swore that my car came from the factory with an R12 A/C system, but that my the compressor was a superceeded item and that to purchase the "new" compressor, clutch lines, and receiver dryer would run me over $1k!!!

I called a local A/C parts supplier and a reman compressor/clutch and receiver dryer will run me $350 and all told to get it cool again will run me right at $500.

RedGalant2k1
04-28-2006, 09:39 PM
If I remember right it was 1995-96 when R12 was not used. Early 7gs would indeed have R12. It also sounds like the dealership is also going to be retrofitting the system for R134a. The retrofit kits cost more plus you need to replace the compressor, the drier, and any related filters or orifice tubes. It can cost upwards of $1,000.

I've never heard of or seen a 7G with a A/C Compressor/Clutch that fell apart.

manybrews
04-29-2006, 08:55 AM
a compressor can fall apart on anything.

in your case, Id probably get an aftermarket rebuild, or a used one. Id install it, and use a "universal" conversion kit to retrofit it to r-134a (available almost anywhere for about 50 bucks).

after retrofitting, the a/c will work almost exactly the same. theoretically, it will be a LITTLE less efficient, but I really havent actually seen that happen in the real world.

bronxbombr
04-29-2006, 01:19 PM
I've never heard of a 98 with R12 in it. I think they been switching shit to 134a since back in like 92-93

manybrews
04-29-2006, 04:11 PM
I've never heard of a 98 with R12 in it. I think they been switching shit to 134a since back in like 92-93
hes got a 98? I didnt see that anywhere.

they switched over fully in 94-95... come to think of it, I think that maybe all 7th gen galants WERE r-134a.
so maybe he didnt tell the dealership what year he had? or its posted in the wrong forum?

98ACR
04-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't give enough info

Yes, I have a '94 with factory 134a (I know because that's what the factory underhood sticker reads...and I know a 134a system when I see it)

The dealer ran my VIN to look up the compressor for my car and swore it came from the factory with R12, even though as I said the underhood sticker indicates otherwise.

I was just surprised not only by the clutch exploding (I've seen a few sieze, but never blow apart) but by the dealer's innacurate assessment of my vehicle's original equipment. I'm gonna get a compressor/clutch out of a J/Y car with a 1 year waranty(for $100 I figure I can't go wrong, esp when the next lowest reman unit is over $300)

MBowen574
04-30-2006, 12:11 AM
I can't vouch for a '94, but my '96 is factory 134a (i've checked and slightly refilled it once) and i took a look at the owner's manual in a 1995 ES that called for 134a from the factory.

BTW, my '96 is a very early build car... October or November 1995 (can't remember which).

bronxbombr
04-30-2006, 10:24 AM
After reading this again I came to the conclusion that the dealer is trying to fuck you with no grease, vaseline, or a condom! They think you dont know what or how the car was made and is trying to charge you for something that they are not going to do. I think all that needs to be changed is the compressor and the reciever drier, although once you change it it will need to be evacuated and refilled with the proper freon. You can go ahead yourself and change the compressor and the drier, make sure you change the O-rings too. Then take it to a shop and have the lines evacuated, and refilled. Cant cost ya much especially cuz you put in the compressor yourself.

MBowen574
04-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I was just surprised not only by the clutch exploding (I've seen a few sieze, but never blow apart) but by the dealer's innacurate assessment of my vehicle's original equipment. I'm gonna get a compressor/clutch out of a J/Y car with a 1 year waranty(for $100 I figure I can't go wrong, esp when the next lowest reman unit is over $300)

Well, my Mitsu dealer (Morgantown Mitsubishi) told me that my transmission filter could not be replaced, that no GS ever came with an automatic transmission (though the majority did), that the 8th gen Galant was a '98 model, and that the 7th gen Galant came with the 2.0L 4G63 in addition to the '64.

They're obviously idiots.

Proto
04-30-2006, 07:11 PM

Well, my Mitsu dealer (Morgantown Mitsubishi) told me that my transmission filter could not be replaced, that no GS ever came with an automatic transmission (though the majority did), that the 8th gen Galant was a '98 model, and that the 7th gen Galant came with the 2.0L 4G63 in addition to the '64.

They're obviously idiots.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif