PDA

View Full Version : Engine alum lid and screws

galantebeige
04-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi all,

Yesterday I changed my spark plugs, and then I checked the three screws pictured below. To my surprise, I was able to move them and tight them, so I kept going but got a bit concerned that I could keep going. I tought I could go only a few turns and it would get tight, but they kept going, so I stopped. I could swear last year they were indeed tight. But I could be wrong.

I am not sure what this lid is made of, but I guess it is aluminum? And if so, by trying to keep this screws tight am I bending the structure? Or should I just go back and keep tightening these until they don't move anymore? :wink:

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/119/08/GalantEngineScrews1146399854.jpg

bronxbombr
04-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Valve cover screws only go in but so far, why did you insist on messing with it in the first place?

Shadow19
04-30-2006, 10:30 AM
I cant see the picture.. But if its your valve cover they are not supposed to have but little more than hand tight. I over tightned a valve cover bolt in my Neon and it snapped off in the head.. So watch out...

pinoyesv6
04-30-2006, 01:23 PM
first of all to torque them correctly you'll need a torque wrench. too loose and it will leak. too tight and you'll warp the valve cover and again it will leak.

galantebeige
04-30-2006, 07:18 PM
thanks for the answers!
So, Indeed it needs to go only so far. I get it.
I must be careful with that.

I messed with it because I saw a liiiiitle bit of oil leaking on where the lid meets the block( If Im correct).

So, the question is how much torque to apply with the torque wrench? I have one.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Shadow19
04-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Ive been told like 9-10 lbs of torque.. But i could be wrong... Since its leaking oil you should go get the red gasket maker clean the part where the valve cover meets the head clean the gasket and put some gasket maker around the gasket or its probably still going to leak after you torque them.

pinoyesv6
04-30-2006, 08:59 PM
30 in lbs. not ft-lbs, its in in-lbs

galantebeige
05-08-2006, 08:14 PM
After looking closely at my torque wrench, I saw it was feet/pounds.
I Went to Autozone and they did not have a in/lbs...
I went to Sears and its over $100 bucks!!
I have not tried others like Pepboys......
But is this tool so much more expensive?

Shadow19
05-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Dude im telling u... Just use some RTV gasket sealer tighten the bolts a little more than hand tight now when i say hand tight i dont mean like with all your brute force.. Work from the middle bolts out and BOOM problem solved... let the gasket stuff set for about 2 hours.. Ive never had a problem with it and thats the way i do it.. the only shit i use a torque wrench for is like head bolts, and shit with suspension and brakes.. But if u want to go out and spend the money thats up to u. Good luck

pinoyesv6
05-08-2006, 08:40 PM
autozone, pep boys should have them both. its a smaller torque wrench. usually the ones u see at those stores are a 3/8 drive. while the bigger ones are in the 1/2 inch drive.