View Full Version : If engine is left idle too long = damage?

galantebeige
04-30-2006, 07:24 PM
I heard once that once you start your car it is nice to let it sit for a few minutes so the engine warms up, and the oil gets going, etc.; but that if you left it idle like that for 30 mins or more it would damage the engine....

Myth or Wisdom?

:wink:

ipaintu
04-30-2006, 07:44 PM
bs A motor should be able to run alday everyday as long as oil life and coolants are ok..

seth98esT
04-30-2006, 07:57 PM
I heard once that once you start your car it is nice to let it sit for a few minutes so the engine warms up, and the oil gets going, etc.; but that if you left it idle like that for 30 mins or more it would damage the engine....

Myth or Wisdom?

Retardation? Only thing your not getting that you get when you drive is airflow. But once your motor warms up and gets to 200-210 degrees, the fans kick on and cool it down a few 20 degrees. Like ipaintu said, as long as the motor has gas, oil, and coolant, you wont damage anything while idling.

Xrs2
04-30-2006, 07:58 PM
I have let my car idle for 2+ hours. Haha long story...anyway it'll be fine.

galantebeige
04-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Retardation!!

I tought it sounded weird. I could not understand why would it get damaged.

pinoyesv6
04-30-2006, 08:49 PM
with the gas prices of today, i don't know why you would let your car just idle there for a very long period of time.

Proto
04-30-2006, 08:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>with the gas prices of today, i don't know why you would let your car just idle there for a very long period of time.</div>

its the new trend

4-G-rim
04-30-2006, 09:09 PM
What reasons would you leave your car idle for prolong periods of time anyways? Unless you locked your keys in the car while they are still in the ignition in still which case wouldn't damage the motor anyways. :wink:

DOHCstunr
04-30-2006, 10:32 PM
prolonged idling is not good for the plugs cause they don't reach their optimal(self cleaning) operating temperature.
you can also gum things up pretty bad.

but nothing a few wide open throttle pulls won't fix.

its bad for your plugs.
and the environment
and your wallet

Gladiator
05-01-2006, 12:29 AM
hmm I can think of one reason which involves doing something in the backseat at either very warm or cold outside temperatures https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Calipso
05-01-2006, 12:36 AM
hmm I can think of one reason which involves doing something in the backseat at either very warm or cold outside temperatures https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

And BINGO was his name-o!

solofantasy
05-01-2006, 11:10 AM
over heating is the problem.

There is only so much your Fan can do. The heat will still trap under your hood. A fan can only blow so much air out of there.

Compare to you driving on a highway, the wind rushes in are much cooling than your fan.

ChikagoGTZ
05-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Honestly, the biggest problem wont be the engine cooling but your transmission. I know alot of police cars have upgraded tranmission coolers with electronic fans due to guys sitting in them doing traffic and other things (not sleeping). I had a Ford Explorer at my last job and the transmission wasn't updated, we went through 3 trannys in 2 years due to overheating since my crew spent at least 6 hours a day on traffic enforcement.

Gladiator
05-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Honestly, the biggest problem wont be the engine cooling but your transmission. I know alot of police cars have upgraded tranmission coolers with electronic fans due to guys sitting in them doing traffic and other things (not sleeping). I had a Ford Explorer at my last job and the transmission wasn't updated, we went through 3 trannys in 2 years due to overheating since my crew spent at least 6 hours a day on traffic enforcement.

Thats if the car is in gear right?

ChikagoGTZ
05-01-2006, 12:19 PM

No...as far as I know the tranny will still warm up when in park. At least that's what we were told ??

pinoyesv6
05-01-2006, 12:23 PM

No...as far as I know the tranny will still warm up when in park. At least that's what we were told ??

you also got to remeber that when u go on traffic enforcement you sit there. then you go out and chase someone and that heats up the oil then u go back to sitting so its harder to cool down that oil

ChikagoGTZ
05-01-2006, 12:37 PM

you also got to remeber that when u go on traffic enforcement you sit there. then you go out and chase someone and that heats up the oil then u go back to sitting so its harder to cool down that oil

That's why you install one of these, most police interceptors have them:

http://carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0308_cool02_z.jpg

Chero2000
05-01-2006, 01:24 PM

If that is the case then 2 hours my ass.

lol.

seth98esT
05-01-2006, 01:50 PM

That's why you install one of these, most police interceptors have them:

http://carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0308_cool02_z.jpg
Oooh I like that cooler, I need a new one https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

[Edit]
Ouch $209..

galantebeige
05-01-2006, 06:59 PM
thanks guys for the info.
it seems then, that being idle is not the best thing. I'll keep that in mind.

manybrews
05-01-2006, 07:01 PM
you could start your car and let it idle for a month, and no damage will occur provided you have correct fluid levels and the engine control systems are functioning fine.
the cooling system has VERY, VERY little excess heat to deal with at idle as compared to WOT or even cruising.
your trans produces very little heat when not under load, and what little heat there is, the trans cooler will regulate easily.

you will potentially build up an excessive amount of carbon over time, but that will burn off if you drive agressively over time.
you will also piss away money in gas.

oh, you also do NOTHING beneficial by letting your car warm up. it doesnt hurt anything, but doesnt help, either (unless its 20 below zero outside).

lonestar22
05-01-2006, 08:03 PM
that last part about warming up your car i ddint know. i thought it was always bad to drive your car cold. unless it was new

seth98esT
05-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Depends on how cold it is. On cold cold starts your oil pressure will be extremely high untill it warms up as the oil is less viscious. When I start my car on a cold morning the oil pressure is between 75-100 at idle, once its warmed up at idle its only 20-30psi.

chromey
05-01-2006, 09:47 PM
my car has idled for 3+ hours on numerous occasions

had another couple chill in my car watching tv, while me and my girl were in a motel room. happened several times