PDA

View Full Version : Who knows tires?

cutthrote
05-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I currently have Toyo tires, 225/40/18, on my 8g galant. Three are Proxes T1-S and one is an FZ4, which is on the front driver's side. I recently noticed a bubble in the sidewall of my left rear side tire. Since the tires are fairly new, I have no excuse for buying a new set of tires. I was wondering if it would be okay to replace this tire with another less expensive brand(better quality) or should I just buy another T1-S or FZ4 to replace it. I trying to find the least expensive route to do this the correct way. I read earlier that some people suggested not to run different brand tires, but gave no explaination as to why they felt that way. Any other suggestion welcomed

ChikagoGTZ
05-10-2006, 11:50 AM
You can run a different brand, just get something similar and put it on the rear of the car. Have same brand/model on the front.

RedGalant2k1
05-10-2006, 06:45 PM
I currently have Toyo tires, 225/40/18, on my 8g galant. Three are Proxes T1-S and one is an FZ4, which is on the front driver's side. I recently noticed a bubble in the sidewall of my left rear side tire. Since the tires are fairly new, I have no excuse for buying a new set of tires. I was wondering if it would be okay to replace this tire with another less expensive brand(better quality) or should I just buy another T1-S or FZ4 to replace it. I trying to find the least expensive route to do this the correct way. I read earlier that some people suggested not to run different brand tires, but gave no explaination as to why they felt that way. Any other suggestion welcomed

The best thing is to run matched tires on anycar. The reason is rolling rates, and ABS preservation. Different companies have different tread depths. A Toyo Proxes T1-S won't be the same as a Kumho Ecsta 711. It can affect your ABS or driveline due to the previously mention reason of rolling rates. Will you ever experience this? Probably not. But whenever possible keep the same brand on the car.

Like ChicagoGTZ said you can run different tires. Though you should be able to find a Toyo Proxes FZ4 for cheap.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/510/ ('http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/510/')

Edge Racing has the Proxes FZ4 for just over $100.