View Full Version : Interior Neons

styles430
05-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I've had some interior neons for awhile now. I have 2 15" neon tubes under the dash area in both front seats. They've been fine, but if you're not careful you can break them. Here's a little story. I had them for a year, no problems, nobody ever broke one. About 2 months ago, a friend gets in my car who has never rode in it. He's 6'6" so he's a big guy for a Galant. Anyways, he is reaching in his wallet, and breaks the passenger side tube. Alright, so I fix that, everythings good. Take my car to be serviced last week, and while draining the brake fluid he pressed down on the break really hard (like you're supposed to) and broke the driver side neon. Was gonna replace that today. Last night a friend broke the passenger side again. That's 3 broken neons in a 2 month span, and I went over a year without one breaking.

My question is, there has to be a better place to mount these. Under the seats isnt really an option seeing as when someone moves the seat, they're gonna break. Has anyone found a better location? I've been using 15" tubes, but possibly smaller ones would fit under the seats? I'm not big on the license plate neons, so I dont want to go that route. I also dont want to have wires everywhere. As is now, they're hardwired with no wires showing and connected to the parking lights in the fusebox under the hood.

Any ideas?

6G72Galant
05-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Ok...you can mount the front neons directly under the dashboard. Thats where i mounted my 3in neon tubes. I used some small screws and screwed them under the steering column, and under the glove box. As for the rears, i mounted them under the seats with some Zipties. Theres a small area under the seat, where the vents are for the heater. Right under that vent is an opening perfect to mount the neons.

*These areas i suggested are extremely great as far as keeping your neons from cracking/breaking. However, theyre not too bright when mounted in those locations. Ive had mine there for 1year now. Ill post some pics later tonite with the locations, and the brightness of the neons.

Calipso
05-13-2006, 11:01 AM
You can also look into buying neon LED bars. Much easier/smaller/brighter than tubes. My friend swears by them.

pinoyesv6
05-13-2006, 12:00 PM
uhm. you aren't supposed to put anything behind the brake pedal in the first place. thats common sense.

but yea, i have my neons in my car for about 4 years now, haven't broken a single one. they're zip tied to the bottom of the front seats

atish25
05-16-2006, 05:21 AM
i used 12 inch tubes with plastic around the tube not glass and zip tied them under the dash and never had problems