PDA

View Full Version : 7g Duel Piston front calipers

seth98esT
05-13-2006, 12:29 PM
So with the 8gers using Evo caliper setups it is making me jealous. I already have the rear spindles and calipers to do the rear disc conversion but want upgraded front calipers. I have been told that 2g GSX calipers will work if you swap the left and right. But I dont have any 2g GSXs in my junkyard and it will be rare to find one there. But I in fact have a few Diamantes there, in which it does have some meaty duel piston calipers. Does anybody know the difference between the Diamante and GSX calipers? Mounting wise and everything else? I am not converting to 5 lug so I would be using the Galant brembo rotors.

My brake pedal is spongy and its time to change the fluid so I may as well upgrade those calipers while I am at it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Stewi
05-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Seth the EVO Brembo's should bolt on to your car. I remember the guys from turbo trix and AMS both put 2g front brakes on their EVO's because they were running 15" wheels up front.

seth98esT
05-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Really? I will search the DSM boards. What size wheel do the Evo calipesr require? 17"? Front Evo rotors 2 or 4 pisont? Rear 1 or 2?

DOHCstunr
05-13-2006, 03:48 PM
omg that would be sooooo sick.
i bed turbotrix guys made a special bracket though.

man those brakes would look so suave on my ride.

dual piston rear, 4 piston front. massive rotors. vented in the rear!!! jeez.

if the gsx dual piston front calipers fit, and i'm 100% postive they do, what are you going to do about getting the larger rotors in a 4 lug pattern?

seth98esT
05-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Didnt Craig use the GSX calipers on the stock brembo rotors?

pinoyesv6
05-13-2006, 08:49 PM
i found this for you seth.

wow.. I haven't been on here in A while.. sorry

you can use the calipers from a DSM (2g I know for Sure)
and get them on your galant... you just have To flip them, and swap left To right (if you do it, you'll see)

you'll have just upgraded to a 2-pot calipers.. for less than $100

you can even keep your stock discs

and.. yeah you can use DSM upgrades.. but there's really no need..
just go with the DBA's and a new set of calipers.

I've not done this.... *yet*
as soon As the galant is *FAST* it will get new brakes.. and Some additional suspension Stuff

i don't think his galant ever got *FAST* after that post though.

seth98esT
05-13-2006, 09:03 PM
i found this for you seth.

wow.. I haven't been on here in A while.. sorry

you can use the calipers from a DSM (2g I know for Sure)
and get them on your galant... you just have To flip them, and swap left To right (if you do it, you'll see)

you'll have just upgraded to a 2-pot calipers.. for less than $100

you can even keep your stock discs

and.. yeah you can use DSM upgrades.. but there's really no need..
just go with the DBA's and a new set of calipers.

I've not done this.... *yet*
as soon As the galant is *FAST* it will get new brakes.. and Some additional suspension Stuff

i don't think his galant ever got *FAST* after that post though.
lol I wonder what craigs car ended up running. The only time I saw times from the track from him he ran a 14.0 @ 10x mph.

4-G-rim
05-13-2006, 09:09 PM
The last time I talked to Craig via IM he was selling the car and he had a buyer pending. I am not sure though...because he seemed reluctant to give up on it. I haven't seen him post or heard of him for AWHILE now. I hope everything is going well for him though! 8)

Stewi
05-13-2006, 10:21 PM
one of you guys try and get an 8g caliper and try it on the 7g, if the 8g caliper fits, the EVO one will fit. I recall a guy on club3g who had a 97GSX saying it worked.

seth98esT
05-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Well I didnt some quick research and just read one guy saying in order to use the Evo calipers on a 2g they needed the front knuckle off a 8g. I will have to do some more looking. I think I am going to go with Diamante calipers tomorrow.

The last time I talked to Craig via IM he was selling the car and he had a buyer pending. I am not sure though...because he seemed reluctant to give up on it. I haven't seen him post or heard of him for AWHILE now. I hope everything is going well for him though! 8)
He sold the motor on eBay and sold the chasis to sabzi, but sabzi had a kid last winter and is being lazy on getting his motor swapped into the new chasis. He is kind of like a ghost, he will come on TGC and make one post every six months or so haha. He just posted hte other day.

4-G-rim
05-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Well I didnt some quick research and just read one guy saying in order to use the Evo calipers on a 2g they needed the front knuckle off a 8g. I will have to do some more looking. I think I am going to go with Diamante calipers tomorrow.

Seth..let me know how those Diamante front calipers work out. Also let me know what year Diamante if they do fit. I went to the junk yard today and they have 3 Diamante's. I was going to test fit Diamante calipers on one of the 7g's they had out there, but I went too late and they were closing up so didn't have any time.

seth98esT
05-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Will do, going to test fit them before I buy them. And Craig, the big pansy, is driving an ugly turbo Saab now. And still FWD lol

4-G-rim
05-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Will do, going to test fit them before I buy them. And Craig, the big pansy, is driving an ugly turbo Saab now. And still FWD lol

Thanks bro!! Please let me know if those bad boys fit. 8) Craig is driving a Saab? LoL!!! So I am assuming he no longer has the "Green Monster" :?

seth98esT
05-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Nah like I said, sold the 4g63t that was in it on eBay and sold the 7g chasis to sabzi. Havent talked to him in awhile so Im not sure what he is up to, but I am sure its evil.

4-G-rim
05-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Havent talked to him in awhile so Im not sure what he is up to, but I am sure its evil.

Me either..I haven't talked to him in awhile either. You are probably right...he is up to something evil 8)

DOHCstunr
05-14-2006, 12:27 AM
yeah i'm all over some dual piston calipers.

seth98esT
05-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Went to the junkyard, pulled the caliper and bracket off a Diamnte. The Diamante bracket bolts onto the front 7g knuckle and the caliper fits nicely on the stock rotor even. Snagged both front duel piston calipers and caliper brackets for $38.

njjfudge
05-14-2006, 01:38 PM
What year Diamnte????????????????

seth98esT
05-14-2006, 01:40 PM
92-96 I "think". They use the same front calipers as the 3000GT/Stealth https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Now this is tested on a 7g, but I would only assume that the 8g is at least similar.

seth98esT
05-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Pics:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6046/dscf09244pt.th.jpg ('http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf09244pt.jpg')

Rear single caliper vs Diamante duel piston:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4866/dscf09269yb.th.jpg ('http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf09269yb.jpg')

4-G-rim
05-14-2006, 03:13 PM
So the diamantes directly bolt up? Front and rear? :?

seth98esT
05-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Well the fronts do. The Diamante caliper bracket bolts to the Glanat knuckle and the caliper fits fine over the Galant rotor. Whethter or not we need a larger caliper or not, I am not sure on that yet. I didnt try the rear calipers. You really dont need duel pistons in the back unless you have 4 pistons up front or something.

DOHCstunr
05-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Well the fronts do. The Diamante caliper bracket bolts to the Glanat knuckle and the caliper fits fine over the Galant rotor. Whethter or not we need a larger caliper or not, I am not sure on that yet. I didnt try the rear calipers. You really dont need duel pistons in the back unless you have 4 pistons up front or something.
i'm confused with this post seth? do you need to edit it to make more sense?

the diamante rear calipers are no different, other then the 3kgt/diamate rear rotors are vented.
although good luck finding a 4 lug rotor for a galant thats vented. would ahve to be custom, so not really worth it.

the rear calipers on my dad's 2001 iamante are cast aluminum and soooo very light.

seth98esT
05-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Well the front diamante calipers fit. The Diamante caliper bracket bolts to the Galant knuckle and the caliper fits fine over the Galant rotor. Whether or not we need a larger rotor or not, I am not sure on that yet. I didnt try the rear calipers. You really dont need duel pistons in the back unless you have 4 pistons up front or something.

There, better?

DOHCstunr
05-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Well the front diamante calipers fit. The Diamante caliper bracket bolts to the Galant knuckle and the caliper fits fine over the Galant rotor. Whether or not we need a larger rotor or not, I am not sure on that yet. I didnt try the rear calipers. You really dont need duel pistons in the back unless you have 4 pistons up front or something.

There, better?

so tell me this
do you need a different pad? i'm sure you would, but i was just wondering if the 7g pad would fit or function in the diamante caliper
that would rock
cause then i'd be set
i JUST installed new front rotors and pads.

seth98esT
05-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Not sure on that, the Diamante calipers are longer compared to the 7g calipers.

ILL InFeCteD
05-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Wow.

I might have to get some myself.

seth98esT
05-19-2006, 02:26 PM
They do bolt up, both caliper and bracket but I need to snag a set of pads to make sure the pad is going to cover the entire rotor. I was talking to a fellow 2ger who has done some research on the swap and they upgrade to the Diamante rotor which is 1" larger in diamater. With the Galant being 4 lug, I dont think we have any larger rotors at our disposal.

But I know craig was running GSX calipers, but I am not sure what the difference between GSX and Diamante/3kGT calipers are. I am going to try to snag a set of GSX calipers off eBay since they never have had a 2g GSX in my junkyard haha.

Proto
05-19-2006, 05:56 PM
8G VR4 dual piston calipers will fit perfect. 85% sure on that. Not tested but Mante and I compared the brake system and looked damn close. The suspension is all the same I know that for sure.

We have 2 97 style Diamantes in the yard i go to.

seth98esT
05-19-2006, 06:30 PM
The calipers I got were off a 92-96 style, not sure on the differences between 97+. If you have some 97+ try to get the throttlebody and see if it will bolt up to a 7g. They are like 70mm+ lol

Sleepervr-4
05-25-2006, 12:39 PM
To clear things up on compatible front 2 pots that are the same as the 2g gsx..........Any '93+ DSM AWD, '91+ non-turbo Dodge Stealth / Mitsu 3000GT, or '92-'96 Mitsu Diamante and you also need the mounting brackets (they are larger than stock single pots).

seth98esT
05-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Cool. So pretty much any 2 piston Mitsubishi Caliper is the same? Except for the Evo Brembos.

Sleepervr-4
05-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Cool. So pretty much any 2 piston Mitsubishi Caliper is the same? Except for the Evo Brembos.

Don't know if they are all the same but know the ones I mentioned are the same.

Proto
05-27-2006, 12:01 PM
well since my 5 lug conversion i bought GSX slotted/drilled rotors (larger front than normal eclipse rotors). the rear caliper fits fine on the rotor. the stock front caliper wont fit over the larger rotor due to the caliper bracket not being big enough. so last night i ordered my 3kgt dual piston calipers/caliper brackets/lines/pads for my front. we'll see how it all works out :twisted:

njjfudge
05-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Yall think THESE!! ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Mitsubishi-GTO-Z16A-OEM-Brake-Calipers_W0QQitemZ8068835041QQcategoryZ42605QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem') will work on a 7g or 8g with out a lot of modding?

Shadow19
05-28-2006, 09:52 AM
OK....... I think we are going somewhere with this.... So basically the 92-96 Diamante calipers are a direct bolt on to the 7G??? Do i need to change the rotors or just the pads??? I know a guy that has a junk Diamante like 35 miles from here so if its pretty much a direct bolt on with little or no modification im gonna call my brother and get the number to call the guy.. Also ill see whats up with the Throttle body https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif but this is in the future... Gotta save up all my money and get my car ready for the Myrtle Beach meet :wink:

galantv600
05-28-2006, 10:23 AM
i remember back in the day a eclipse with the 3000gt vr4 brakes... that woulde be an awesome set up d00d

seth98esT
05-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Diamante calipers bolt up just fine. Whether you can use them with stock rotors or not, I am not sure. Both GSX and Diamante 5 lug rotors are 1" bigger in diameter then ours.

Proto
06-12-2006, 09:08 PM
my big brake install is complete. 3000GT dual piston calipers, ceramic pads all 4 corners, all 4 corner SS lines, and GSX slotted/drilled rotors (larger front).

njjfudge
06-12-2006, 09:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>my big brake install is complete. 3000GT dual piston calipers, ceramic pads all 4 corners, all 4 corner SS lines, and GSX slotted/drilled rotors (larger front).</div>

PICS??????????

Proto
06-12-2006, 10:24 PM
ok heres some quickies i snapped

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/xprotoknight/galant/100_1986.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/xprotoknight/galant/100_1989.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/xprotoknight/galant/100_1997.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/xprotoknight/galant/100_1999.jpg

9G
06-12-2006, 10:27 PM
looks good :thumbsup:

Kalamidad
06-12-2006, 10:28 PM
looks good R.

Proto
06-14-2006, 11:23 AM
thanks for comments.

its raining today so i locked up on the brakes at 50mph.. stopped very quickly. i say this upgrade was worth the money.

Proto
08-24-2006, 07:34 PM
ok heres for the question if you can use stock rotors or not. You can NOT. The pad overseats the entire rotor too much causing it not engage against the rotor properly. The only proper way to doing a BBK on a 7G is going 5 lug or having custom rotors made for 4 lug.

3KGT VR4 Brakes will NOT fit, you need SL ones or 92-96 Diamante or 95-99 GSX. They are 4 piston, you need 2 piston. I barely have any clearance between my OZ rim and the 2 piston caliper.

Predat-R this post is mainly for you.

seth98esT
08-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Dont delete my posts fool! Sabzi has Craigs old car, craigs old car *had* GSX calipers and 4lug rotors. I will update when I talk to Sabzi.

Proto
08-24-2006, 08:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dont delete my posts fool! Â*Sabzi has Craigs old car, craigs old car *had* GSX calipers and 4lug rotors. Â*I will update when I talk to Sabzi.</div>

whats the point when the rotor is too small and the entire pad isnt touching the surface?

Predat-R
08-24-2006, 09:16 PM
so basically even with a larger brembo rotors this set up wont work?

Proto
08-24-2006, 09:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Predat-R)</div><div class='quotemain'>so basically even with a larger brembo rotors this set up wont work?</div>

i doubt the rotors are larger. they are designed for the 7g so inturn they would be the same size as stock.

SuperGALANT
08-29-2006, 03:00 PM
so, im back to having to decide weather or not i go 5 lug.. :-

so there is no way to upgrade the front brakes on a four lug, other than better pads and rotors.. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

seth98esT
08-29-2006, 03:07 PM
I could have swore Craig had GSX calipers on his old 7g that Sabzi has now. Let me ask Sabzi tonight if they are still on his car.

Proto
08-29-2006, 04:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SuperGALANT)</div><div class='quotemain'>so, im back to having to decide weather or not i go 5 lug.. :- Â*

so there is no way to upgrade the front brakes on a four lug, other than better pads and rotors.. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif</div>

as i explaned the pred. the pads will wear unevenly and the top portion will run against the top of the rotor making it uneffective. then you have to worry if it will press evenly against the rotor. im sorry but i wouldnt run the chance. my life > unproper brakes.

Sleepervr-4
08-29-2006, 05:11 PM
just a thought but couldn't rim shops that redrill rims to fit cars with different bolt patterns just redrill some 2g gsx rotors to fit our cars?

bronxbombr
08-29-2006, 07:12 PM
word right, didnt even think of that.

SuperGALANT
08-30-2006, 08:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sleepervr-4)</div><div class='quotemain'>just a thought but couldn't rim shops that redrill rims to fit cars with different bolt patterns just redrill some 2g gsx rotors to fit our cars?</div>

ok, now lets take into thought, if we were to do that, will they fit under my stock 7g rims? 15" and i may be going back to 14" b/c i have some extra tires that need to be used.. and i can use them to save my good ones i got from john..

yea seth please talk to sabzi.. i want to know if they fit..

proto, your right, if the whole pad service isnt on the rotor then im not going to risk it either.. but i cant pass up the rumors of being able to stay 4 lug..

if i cant stay 4 lug then im going to sell my 4 lug rear disc and start looking for 5 lug, again..

DOHCstunr
08-30-2006, 09:34 AM
honestly i wouldn't worry too much about it. if its going to cost you to go 5 lug, plus new wheels, rotors, adn pads all around, and even brake lines...
why not just stay 4 lug.
i've never had one instance where i felt i needed more brake power.
not once.
4 wheel crossed and slotted with stainless lines, axxis ultimate pads, ABS, and dot 5.1 brake fluid.
i've never needed more power.
if i did upgrade to the dual piston front, it would be for autocross... and at that, i still think my factory setup would hang just fine.

if i do upgrade, i'll just get some 5 lug rotors redrilled, or order some custom rotors... it will be cheaper than all that mess.

if i go five lug, its because i'll be putting evo8 brakes on the GS.

SuperGALANT
08-30-2006, 03:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>if i go five lug, its because i'll be putting evo8 brakes on the GS.</div>

heh.. so when is that going to happen?

well i just wanted to upgrade while i was going to brakes to the car..

DOHCstunr
08-30-2006, 03:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SuperGALANT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>if i go five lug, its because i'll be putting evo8 brakes on the GS.</div>

well i just wanted to upgrade while i was going to brakes to the car..</div>
not any time soon,
cause i woudl eed the money for the evo brakes, the 5 lug, wheels, and from what i read, an outlander or 8gvr4 front knuckle.

Sleepervr-4
08-30-2006, 03:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SuperGALANT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>if i go five lug, its because i'll be putting evo8 brakes on the GS.</div>

well i just wanted to upgrade while i was going to brakes to the car..</div>
not any time soon,
cause i woudl eed the money for the evo brakes, the 5 lug, wheels, and from what i read, an outlander or 8gvr4 front knuckle.</div>

Now that is alot of work. I'd rather just have a rim shop redrill some gsx rotors and call it a day.

bronxbombr
08-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Well someone try it and get back to me cuz i can get those calipers from my job, semi or loaded.

SuperGALANT
09-01-2006, 08:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well someone try it and get back to me cuz i can get those calipers from my job, semi or loaded.</div>

yea and i can get some from napa.

Blue Ice
09-07-2006, 12:06 PM
What about 7g VR4's are they dual piston front's? Cause if they are they still are 4 lug and there may be a company that makes rotors for 7g VR4's.

Also, Would a person be able to order the specific size rotor in a specific bolt pattern? I think it's just that simple.

Or. Wouldn't we have the same bolt pattern as say, nissan or a honda? I'm sure you could cross a rotor form another make onto a Galant.

seth98esT
09-07-2006, 12:40 PM
7g VR4s are 4lug and they look to have a big brake setup:

But I dont think there is a company that makes aftermarket rotors for them. I remember "black beauty" did a 5lug swap and used a big brake kit off an Eclipse.

DOHCstunr
09-07-2006, 01:03 PM
i was also thinking that since the brake rotors are hubcentric, you could get a set of gsx rotors, and even if they aren't redrilled perfectly, they woudl still be on center and operate flawlessly.

g96nt
01-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Havent talked to him in awhile so Im not sure what he is up to, but I am sure its evil.

Me either..I haven't talked to him in awhile either. You are probably right...he is up to something evil 8)

You guys and your wild assumptions.
There's nothing *wild* anymore.

I do have a saab (which I'm about to sell)
it's a 99 9-3 and it's about as modded as you can go with stock ECU;
It only makes 230WHP, but I race it, and it's fun/reliable.

I did just put together a 90 Gs-T, which I quickly broke.
(blown transmission) should be 300ish HP when it's moving under it's own power.

When the Saab sells, it's being rpelaced by an '04 9-5 Aero Wagon

anyways.. keep up the good work...
I keep eyeballing 7g's that pop up on craigslist. ;)

kolio
01-10-2008, 03:04 PM
that is very interesting

nobody thought of 6th gen vr-4's till later

DOHCstunr
01-10-2008, 03:07 PM
word

i'll be selling my dual piston brake setup come april, actually,
my front dual pisotons, and my rear discs.

going with sommethign a little beefier

seth98esT
01-10-2008, 03:23 PM

Good to hear from you again. You ever talk to Sabzi and find out what he has going on with your old shell? Last I heard, he had his motor swapped into your shell and was just fixing small problems. But that was right after he had a kid, so Im not sure if he even messes with that car anymore.
If you ever talk to him, tell him I want to buy his 7g from him :P

g96nt
01-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I IM him every once in a while to check in. he's a good guy. from what I remember, your story holds true, and I haven't bugged him since then.
I miss the Car EVERY damn day. I wish I didnt' have to part it out.

I feel bad I had to sell it non-running, too. the shop I brought it to, pretty much destroyed the car when I had them do some pretty simple work.
I'd love to build another, but it's hard to find a 7g that's not been neglected. until it was thrashed, my car was so immaculate... =0[

I'm still around. you can PM me or IM me if you, or anyone, needs me.

seth98esT
01-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah, Im looking for a mint 7g too, was wanting to get a green one, or any color but silver and gold. I guess I need to be patient and find one previously owned by a grandma who drives the car once every 6 months.

Sleepervr-4
01-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Ok guys now that I have a galant vr4 the rotors will work for the 7g guys that want to keep the 4 lug. They are the same as 2g gsx but are 4 lug.

kolio
01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Ok guys now that I have a galant vr4 the rotors will work for the 7g guys that want to keep the 4 lug. They are the same as 2g gsx but are 4 lug.

what are the specs on the stock tires for the vr-4?

DOHCstunr
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM

tires?

laxinwarrior
01-10-2008, 09:51 PM
[quote=seth98esT] Havent talked to him in awhile so Im not sure what he is up to, but I am sure its evil.

Holy shit, Craig's back....

kolio
01-11-2008, 01:47 AM

tires?

size, width, offset

Sleepervr-4
01-11-2008, 10:14 AM

tires?

size, width, offset

15x6 46mm offset is the size for stock Gvr-4 rims