PDA

View Full Version : No Steering? WTF?

Calipso
05-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm driving along today out of BJ's Wholesale Club near my job. I go to turn onto a main road and I slow down and proceed forward. My frigging steering wheel won't turn. I nearly hit a car in the middle of the intersection in the process and it finally turned at the last second.

-I checked the road I was on and there was nothing tangled on my axel.
-My wheel would not turn at ALL. Checked for any debris under my car. None.
-Power steering fluid is 100% full.

Anyone know what this may be? It's raining buckets out here, and I don't know if has to do with anything like that.[/u]

wannabee
05-13-2006, 06:39 PM
check the cv boot..... i had the same freakin problem.... if u search i actually posted that.. i finally checked my cv joints n one of the boot was torn.... got it replaced havent had problems as yet....*touchwood*

pinoyesv6
05-13-2006, 08:44 PM
so the wheel won't turn at all or would it turn but its really hard to turn?? cuz u say u lost it then u said it turns.

str8304
05-13-2006, 08:48 PM
damn, that sounds scarry...luckily you weren't on the freeway or going at a high rate of speed!

Calipso
05-13-2006, 09:03 PM
I was shitting bricks when it happened.

What happened Peano is that I tried to turn and it felt like the car stalled out. (Without the kicking, slowing down.) Right before I hit the SUV that was incoming the wheel jerked right like Iwanted it to. I took side roads home to avoid major traffic incase it happened again. It didn't though. I took it around an empty rotary to see if it happened again but it didn't.

Maybe its the CV boot?

pinoyesv6
05-13-2006, 09:07 PM
this is what i think.

well if the car was trying to stall out, then that means the engine was trying to die, which means that the power steering pump wasn't really pumping that well. hence it felt like you lost steering. when the power steering goes out, you can still steer the car but its gonna be alot harder to steer without that power assist.

str8304
05-13-2006, 09:08 PM
this is what i think.

well if the car was trying to stall out, then that means the engine was trying to die, which means that the power steering pump wasn't really pumping that well. hence it felt like you lost steering. when the power steering goes out, you can still steer the car but its gonna be alot harder to steer without that power assist.ypu...hate it when that happens!

cntrylvr79
05-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Used to have a problem like that with my old car. Whenever I went through a deep enough puddle the pulley on the power steering pump would get wet, causing the belt to slip and complete loss of power assist.

Calipso
05-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Well, moments before this my passenger side front tire dunked in a pretty good puddle. *Not completely submerged but enough to wash up the brakes*

cntrylvr79
05-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Well, moments before this my passenger side front tire dunked in a pretty good puddle. *Not completely submerged but enough to wash up the brakes*

After you hit the puddle did you hear any sort of squeak or squeal come from the engine bay? I know my car would squeal while I had no power steering. Would only last for a second or 2 though.

Calipso
05-14-2006, 12:02 AM

After you hit the puddle did you hear any sort of squeak or squeal come from the engine bay? I know my car would squeal while I had no power steering. Would only last for a second or 2 though.

No squeal, no notice. It was definately worrysome though. I'm hopin it was a one time deal. I'll have them check it when I get my timing belt done in a few weeks.

manybrews
05-14-2006, 05:55 PM
you lost power steering assist due to the puddle causing massive slipping of the belt.

you DIDNT loose steering, only the assist. which means you could have turned the wheel, it just woulda required a lot of muscle.

that is what happened.

Calipso
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
you lost power steering assist due to the puddle causing massive slipping of the belt.

you DIDNT loose steering, only the assist. which means you could have turned the wheel, it just woulda required a lot of muscle.

that is what happened.

I don't have alot of muscle, I'm just a weakling. 8)