PDA

View Full Version : I can see paradise by the dashboard light, but nothing else!

NiTrOuSoXiDe
05-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Those of you who aren't Meatloaf fans are probably uber confused by the topic title, but worry not. I have a problem that seems rather simple, but is getting more and more complex!

About a week ago, I was futzing around with my radio in my dashboard, pulling it out, putting it back in, testing things, etc.. I threw everything back together, and then later on that night when I flipped on my headlights, I noticed nothing on my dashboard was lit! My guages all work just fine, as in, the needles move and all, but there is no backlighting or anything. All my AC controls, fan and vent controls, guage backlights and whatever else that gets controlled by the dimmer switch is completely dark. So, in result, at night, I can't see a damn thing in my guage cluster, can't see my controls or anything else on the dash except the radio, because it powers it's own lights from it's own source.

All indicator lights in the guage cluster work just fine, such as the check engine light, turning signals, brake light, etc.. Also, all the needles on the guages move normally, such as the speed and tach. It just seems that all the backlights stopped working.

First instinct, check the fuses. I checked every single fuse in both the underdash box and the box under the hood. Every fuse was fine except one under the dash that said 'back', and I replaced it, and that didn't seem to fix anything. I also ripped the radio out again and checked all the harnesses and wires back there for disconnections, and all seemed ok there too. Lastly, I pulled the dashboard apart and checked around under there for obvious problems, and nothing caught my eye.

Anyone have any ideas? You don't think there's a chance that all the backlight bulbs blew out all at the same time from some kind of short or something, do you? Also, exactly which fuse controls the backlights?

Thaks for all help in advance.

EDIT: By the way, I have 1111 posts https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Also, now that I think about it, maybe there was some kind of a short or something, because if there was a short, the fuse would blow and if the light bulbs are too weak, they'd probably blow too, and I can't imagine the backlight bulbs being anything special. Also, the only fuse that was actually blown was the 'back' fuse, which could possibly stand for 'backlights'. I'll pull the guage cluster and check the bulbs right now.

Calipso
05-13-2006, 06:52 PM
1111 posts isn't as cool as 1337 posts. 8)

njjfudge
05-13-2006, 06:56 PM
I could be a short in your dimmer switch it self. I have a problem with mine I can tap the dimmer wheel and all my backlight lights will flash, so I just don't bother the dimmer switch till I get a chance to see what I could be

cntrylvr79
05-13-2006, 07:23 PM
I know this might be stupid, but did you make sure the plug is plugged all the way into the dimmer switch?

pvu_rida
05-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I know this might be stupid, but did you make sure the plug is plugged all the way into the dimmer switch?

yeah check that, that may be the problem

NiTrOuSoXiDe
05-13-2006, 07:33 PM
I did. I actually pulled out the entire little panel and checked it, and it's fine. Also, I never really played with the dimmer too much. I never tapped into it's wires and rarely ever moved it.

cntrylvr79
05-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Might be able to rig something to work. If you pull out the radio, there's an orange/black wire in the harness that shouldn't be connected to anything. Try grounding that wire and turning the headlights on. Might work.

NiTrOuSoXiDe
05-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Josh, have I ever told you how much I....I..................I......................... ...I..........

*begins viciously humping leg*

*finishes*

That worked!!! Thank you! How the hell did you know that???