PDA

View Full Version : i4 brakes sucks! thinking of upgrading.. please chime in

DoverWhite
05-15-2006, 01:16 PM
I have a 99 DE and had the car for over 5 years now. Throughout the entire time, the car's brake have always been a problem. I even upgraded to brembo drilled and slotted rotors and upgraded to ceramic brake pads. Here are the issues I have (listed in priority):

1) FADING. after an hour in stop and go traffic, the brake fades and it becomes harder to stop!

2) Brake power SUCKS.

3) Grinding! Usually problem goes away after i put new brake pads on, but usually only after a month of use or less , the brakes start GRINDING like crazy even though the pad is not worn even half way! Again, changing out to new pads makes the grinding go away but it seems like I'm changing these damned pads every 2 months. Luckily they've been under warranty each time I replace them. Also, something i noticed, is that the grinding occurs after the fading occurs (after spending more than an hour in stop and go traffic).

I'm thinking of changing out the front brake calipers to use Diamante dual piston. I think it'll help w/ problem #2, but i don't know if it'll help w/ brake fading and grinding. I anticipate if i change out the calipers, i'll need to change out the rotors also and the brake line?

Rotors and calipers are no problem, i've done these thousands of times, but changing the brake line is new to me. Anyone done this befor?

pvu_rida
05-15-2006, 01:18 PM
when u upgraded to cermanic brake pads, did u flush out the old brake fluid with fresh fluid?

DoverWhite
05-15-2006, 01:34 PM
no I did not.. and i just read some posts that say that might help. I'll probably try that tonight. Do rear drums need to be bleed also?

pvu_rida
05-15-2006, 01:39 PM
no I did not.. and i just read some posts that say that might help. I'll probably try that tonight. Do rear drums need to be bleed also?

U have a DE, so u dont have rear brakes

ChikagoGTZ
05-15-2006, 01:48 PM
I posted up a link to some EVO brembos that are for sale on Evolutionm.net

Check the FS forum for my post.

pinoyesv6
05-15-2006, 02:58 PM

DE's still have rear brakes

ChikagoGTZ
05-15-2006, 03:00 PM

DE's still have rear brakes

Ha, no...you they rely on the Flintstones method of braking.

DoverWhite
05-15-2006, 09:29 PM
I read on a thread that although I have rear drums, that i should also bleed them.

I have no idea why, as I've never done drum shoe replacements. Is there even a bleeding valve back there?

pinoyesv6
05-15-2006, 09:37 PM
seeing that you've never changed your shoes replacing your shoes would improve braking dramtically

RedGalant2k1
05-16-2006, 03:10 AM
#1) Get your rear brakes cleaned and adjusted. That may very well be a reason you repeatedly change front pads.

#2) Ease up on the brakes. The fading means your overheating them, and when you overheat them you destroy the composition of the brakepad. When a pad is overheated the resin holding everything together glazes over causing the annoying squeak and fade everytime.

Donovan
05-16-2006, 05:10 AM
while we're on this topic..
since I havent the time to really search and research..

I can use the brakes(rear disc conversion) off an eclipse to do the conversion right.. what else would I need

g-ridda
05-19-2006, 02:53 AM
you should definately get the rears cleaned and adjusted and flush your brake fluid first.your front brakes do about 70% of the work and the rear does about 30% if your rears are innactive or close to it, then your fronts would be doing almost 100% of the braking which would most likely be the reason for brake fade(overheating).this may also be the reason for grinding in your calipers if not try buying some brake quiet and applying it to all your shims and the back side of the pads.(do not put it on the pad itself or the rotor). braking power will be restored after flush if your braking system is not damaged. dont forget to keep us updated on results

str8304
05-19-2006, 04:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pvu_rida)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoverWhite)</div><div class='quotemain'>no I did not.. and i just read some posts that say that might help. Â*I'll probably try that tonight. Â* Do rear drums need to be bleed also?</div>

U have a DE, so u dont have rear brakes</div>

DE's still have rear brakes</div>lol