PDA

View Full Version : Head

jiul
05-19-2006, 04:58 PM
So when you get your head back how do you know it the shop set it up so that the valves for the No1 are in the right place for TDC?
I know that they should've doen it but how do i check? Is pin supposed to be at 12 or at 6?

seth98esT
05-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Dowell pin on the Camshaft should be at 12. Also should be some white marks on the Came gear which should be in line with where the head meets with the block I believe. Let me get you a picture.

jiul
05-19-2006, 05:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dowell pin on the Camshaft should be at 12. Â*Also should be some white marks on the Came gear which should be in line with where the head meets with the block I believe. Â*Let me get you a picture.</div>

OK, but on my old gear I got two marks one at 12 one at 6 and I didn't get my new one yet.

98ACR
05-19-2006, 10:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>So when you get your head back how do you know it the shop set it up so that the valves for the No1 are in the right place for TDC?
I know that they should've doen it but how do i check? Is pin supposed to be at 12 or at 6?</div>

Since I've never seen a head shop that puts the cam back in, YOU are responsible for getting the cam put in right. When you put the cam back in and line up the timing marks, everything will be good. Now, if you did everything right, you lined up your timing marks before dissassembly, so put the cam in so that the mark is at 12 O'clock and you're good to go.

jiul
05-20-2006, 08:48 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98ACR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>So when you get your head back how do you know it the shop set it up so that the valves for the No1 are in the right place for TDC?
I know that they should've doen it but how do i check? Is pin supposed to be at 12 or at 6?</div>

Since I've never seen a head shop that puts the cam back in, YOU are responsible for getting the cam put in right. When you put the cam back in and line up the timing marks, everything will be good. Now, if you did everything right, you lined up your timing marks before dissassembly, so put the cam in so that the mark is at 12 O'clock and you're good to go.</div>

Not for nothing but I think that I got maybe five heads rebuilt over the years and every single one had the cam back in and it was right right. The shop had it on right but I checked anyway.
As far as lining everything up before dissasembly goes that may be difficult with a broken belt.
I just want to check weather on our heads the pin should be at 6 or at 12.
But anyway, Seth said he's posting a pic so I'll just wait.

Shadow19
05-20-2006, 05:04 PM
There should be a notch on the outter circle of the cam gear (where the teeth are) If i had the gear id take a pic but its at someones house..... and i dont feel like taking the timing belt cover off just to take a pic thats not gonna come out all that great. Good luck though.

jiul
05-20-2006, 10:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shadow19)</div><div class='quotemain'>There should be a notch on the outter circle of the cam gear (where the teeth are) If i had the gear id take a pic but its at someones house..... and i dont feel like taking the timing belt cover off just to take a pic thats not gonna come out all that great. Good luck though.</div>

Yeah I got that, but how do I know that my heads are set fo no1 cyl at TDC? If the notch is @ 12 then does that men they're ok?

Shadow19
05-20-2006, 10:40 PM
ok.... I think im correct on this one because ive set the timing on my car before.. The valve cover has a line that goes straight up and down on the side where the cam gear goes and you match that with the notch on the cam gear and i believe thats TDC... But get a 2nd opinion (though thats how i did my car and nothing screwed up) but when u put the head on the car and set the timing u should take a wrench put the crank bold in and give it a full cycle to see if there is any binding or noises such as valves hitting the pistons. GOOD LUCK!!!! Ive given you all the advice that i know of and i hope it helps u.

seth98esT
05-20-2006, 11:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shadow19)</div><div class='quotemain'>There should be a notch on the outter circle of the cam gear (where the teeth are) If i had the gear id take a pic but its at someones house..... and i dont feel like taking the timing belt cover off just to take a pic thats not gonna come out all that great. Good luck though.</div>

Yeah I got that, but how do I know that my heads are set fo no1 cyl at TDC? If the notch is @ 12 then does that men they're ok?</div>
Well you wont know by the mark on the cam gear as its going to line up a few times and not be at tdc. You would need to turn the crank untill the mark on the crank gear lines up and the crank, bs, and oil pump marks line up. Or if everything is together, stick a rod down the cylinder 1, turn the crank untill the rod hits its peak and all the marks line up.

Why do you want to know where TDC is so bad?

jiul
05-21-2006, 08:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shadow19)</div><div class='quotemain'>There should be a notch on the outter circle of the cam gear (where the teeth are) If i had the gear id take a pic but its at someones house..... and i dont feel like taking the timing belt cover off just to take a pic thats not gonna come out all that great. Good luck though.</div>

Yeah I got that, but how do I know that my heads are set fo no1 cyl at TDC? If the notch is @ 12 then does that men they're ok?</div>
Well you wont know by the mark on the cam gear as its going to line up a few times and not be at tdc. You would need to turn the crank untill the mark on the crank gear lines up and the crank, bs, and oil pump marks line up. Or if everything is together, stick a rod down the cylinder 1, turn the crank untill the rod hits its peak and all the marks line up.

Why do you want to know where TDC is so bad?</div>

Its like this, the head is off the car and I want to make sure that the shop left in the right position so I can put it on.
So how do I know that?

Shadow19
05-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Ive given you all the information i know. Sorry that didnt help but i dont know anymore.

jiul
05-21-2006, 09:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shadow19)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ive given you all the information i know. Sorry that didnt help but i dont know anymore.</div>

Thanks, you gave good info and I appreciate it, but the thing is that the head is off the car.
I want to make sure that as it is now I can put it on the car and not destroy the valve train.
The shop probably did it right I just want to make sure because I spent a lot of money on getting it done and don't want to spend it again because I still have a lot of s**t to do to the car to get where I want it and at the rate I'm going it might take a bit ahhhemmm longer. LOL
Thanks again for the info.

seth98esT
05-21-2006, 09:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shadow19)</div><div class='quotemain'>There should be a notch on the outter circle of the cam gear (where the teeth are) If i had the gear id take a pic but its at someones house..... and i dont feel like taking the timing belt cover off just to take a pic thats not gonna come out all that great. Good luck though.</div>

Why do you want to know where TDC is so bad?</div>

Its like this, the head is off the car and I want to make sure that the shop left in the right position so I can put it on.
So how do I know that?</div>
If the head is off the car, just turnt eh crank untill #1 is at TDC. I dont think it really matters where the gear is on the head as long as the lines on the gear line upt with the top of the head.

This is all I have for the timing :/
qwhttp://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9629/timeing7dd.jpg ('http://imageshack.us')

Shadow19
05-21-2006, 09:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shadow19)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ive given you all the information i know. Sorry that didnt help but i dont know anymore.</div>

Thanks, you gave good info and I appreciate it, but the thing is that the head is off the car.
I want to make sure that as it is now I can put it on the car and not destroy the valve train.
The shop probably did it right I just want to make sure because I spent a lot of money on getting it done and don't want to spend it again because I still have a lot of s**t to do to the car to get where I want it and at the rate I'm going it might take a bit ahhhemmm longer. LOL
Thanks again for the info.</div>

This is a mind boggling question... I guess we are all on seperate pages....... But like i said before just slap the head on there and go with the information that we have given you and its pretty much straight forward after that.... Trust me man im no mechanically enclined person and i didnt fuck anything up when i had to set the timing on my car (though i had someone show me the marks) After that its pretty simple.. What you can do is put the cam gear on the head, align the timing on the head, take the old head off the car, then set the crank to the timing mark, put the head on, then make sure none of the marks are off, and boom made easy.

jiul
05-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Seth I got all that bro thanks but how do I know that the head as I got it now is in the right position to put on the block.
The head is off the car. I know Ihave to line up all the marks and all that,
but looking at the head now off the car how do I know that the valves are in the right position so that when I put them on they wonlt hit the cylinders.
If I put on the gear and the timing mark is at 12 does that mean that the valves are in the right position?
Sorry if I'm confusing everybody LOL

Shadow19
05-21-2006, 09:59 AM
OOOO... I think i know what u are trying to ask here. Correct me if im wrong but basically you are asking if the timing marks aligned correctly means that everything is at TDC????

seth98esT
05-21-2006, 10:02 AM
idk man. Ive never done a belt on a SOHC. WHen I got a new head for my '63 I just lined up the cam gears so the marks were where they should be then put the head on the car and lined everything up how I wanted them with the belt. Im not sure but maybe every single rotation will put the valves back in the same exact place? Im not too sure though.

98ACR
05-21-2006, 06:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shadow19)</div><div class='quotemain'>OOOO... I think i know what u are trying to ask here. Correct me if im wrong but basically you are asking if the timing marks aligned correctly means that everything is at TDC????</div>

I know how I do it is put it together how I think it should go. Than I turn it over by hand if there is any resistance through two complete revolutions of the engine, I stop and do it again. Though, if the crank timing mark is at 12 O'clock, the #1 piston SHOULD be at TDC which is where all timing settings are taken.

jiul
05-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Im not sure but maybe every single rotation will put the valves back in the same exact place? Im not too sure though.[/quote]

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>That's the question I'm asking bro!! </span> https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
If the pin is @12 and I put on the cam gear and the ding (timing mark) is at 12, the valves for the No1 cyl are closed that means that the head is good to go on the block?
Another words if the pin is at 12 and the timing mark is also at 12 its not possible for the valves to be at any other position but the right one, right?
I turned it a few times and I got the same result so I hope I am right or I'm going to bend some valves :oops:

Shadow19
05-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Not being a smart ass so dont take me that way but i dont think its possible for it to be in a different place if its a FULL REVOLUTION... Now if you do one full revolution the head will be lined up on correct timing marks but the crank and oil pump wont be because they have smaller gears.

jiul
05-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Not being a smart ass so dont take me that way but i dont think its possible for it to be in a different place if its a FULL REVOLUTION... Now if you do one full revolution the head will be lined up on correct timing marks but the crank and oil pump wont be because they have smaller gears.

You're right, I found that out by turning the cam over a few times, with the head off the block, and every time it had the same result. So if the pin and the mark are at 12 the valves for the #1 cyl are closed and that would corespond with #1 piston being at TDC.
That's what I wanted to know if its posible for the pin and timing mark to be at 12 and the valave train not be at TDC for cyl1 . I don't think that possible.
As far as the cranck and oil pump goes you're right again and we all know the screw driver tirck.
I wonder if there is another way to line up the oil pump without the screw driver?

Shadow19
05-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Hmmmmm... Ive never heard of using a screw driver on the oil pump cause it should spin freely now the Balance shaft on the other hand there is a bolt that u have to take out and stick a screw driver in there but i dont know how to do that because i didnt do the balance shaft belt someone did it for me like 2 weeks before i had to replace the water pump and do the timing belt allll over again.......

jiul
05-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Hmmmmm... Ive never heard of using a screw driver on the oil pump cause it should spin freely now the Balance shaft on the other hand there is a bolt that u have to take out and stick a screw driver in there but i dont know how to do that because i didnt do the balance shaft belt someone did it for me like 2 weeks before i had to replace the water pump and do the timing belt allll over again.......

I thought that was the oil pump, sprocket lets see what the book says Yeap that's the oil pump sprocket that you stop from spining with the screw driver trick by blocking the silent shaft.
Anyway the heads are on and running fine except for TAAADAAAAAAAAA
VACUM LEAK!!!

seth98esT
05-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Oil pump is easy, you dont have to use the screw driver deal. Simply rotate the mark on the oil pump sprocket until it is pointing straight up, and let it go. If the sprocket rotates towards (counterclockwise) the timing mark on the engine, the oil pump sprocket is aligned correctly. If it rotates away (clockwise) from the mark, spin the sprocket a full turn and test again, and it should properly rotate towards the mark now. Now line the mark on the sprocket back up with the mark on the engine.

Glad to see its running fine though https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

jiul
05-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Oil pump is easy, you dont have to use the screw driver deal. Simply rotate the mark on the oil pump sprocket until it is pointing straight up, and let it go. If the sprocket rotates towards (counterclockwise) the timing mark on the engine, the oil pump sprocket is aligned correctly. If it rotates away (clockwise) from the mark, spin the sprocket a full turn and test again, and it should properly rotate towards the mark now. Now line the mark on the sprocket back up with the mark on the engine.

Glad to see its running fine though https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Yeah its running , but I got the vacum leak thing and I just found out that my flex pipe is broken LOL This thing never ends !! :shock:
I think I like my other hobby better.